Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times

Advertisements

Obviously you don't get it.
I don't care of they are good at making widgets or not.
we're not going to make them do a skill like working doing brake jobs

Prisoners are put to work.
During the depression a lot of parks, roads, trails small buildings and ditches were dug for food and a nickel.
I really don't care how mad or spiteful they get with that rock, shovel or wheelbarrow, or doing whatever they can...

I don't think many are going to put to work doing brain surgery.
We have handicapped, the blind and the retarded holding jobs so can these lazy slobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Here's the bottom line, in case you didn't get it. When your wife takes her car in for a brake job, do you want the work done by a guy who resents being there, and doesn't want to work, and is angry and spiteful, and is too stupid or stoned or irresponsible to learn how to do the job right, and has the attitude of just needing to show up in the morning to earn his paycheck? If you have a problem with your bank account, is that the person you want to talk to on the phone about resolving it? With your economic philosophy, that is exactly what you are going to get, and you will have noone to blame but yourself when something goes wrong, because you have created the monster.

BS they all have problem employes from alcoholics and prescription pills abusers.
Drug testing does not always work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Fox View Post
Kia is looking even more appealing...

Sadly, I'm not surprised these guys got their jobs back.

Its strange, someone at my job got fired a few months ago, because when he put his $1 into the vending machine and pushed the button and two items fell out. My company considered that stealing.

Mmm, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Fox View Post
Its strange, someone at my job got fired a few months ago, because when he put his $1 into the vending machine and pushed the button and two items fell out. My company considered that stealing.
I'm calling BS on that one. No way.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
As a one time union member (Teamsters) this has been my beef with Unions. They spend a disproportionate time defending the inept, irresponsible worker who should be fired, and not enough on what should be their core mission(s). Ensuring an environmentally safe workplace, and that the workers can get transparency into management costs and get a reasonable share of the wealth from their labor/skills.

When Unions were formed they tended to stick to their directive and then eventually got just as corrupted as any political organization, as the leadership used them for entrenchment via political machinations (a large voting bloc - and 'grow the voting bloc' mentallity - to batter issues of legislation) and played fast and loose in many cases with 'dues' using them for non worker related issues. A 'private piggy bank' to travel / waste on many things unrelated to the worker but self serving for the leadership as they raise THEIR income via lobbying, perks, etc...

If Unions would stick to their primary reason for being created I'd have no problem with them as they are beneficial in countering the aforementioned issues and provide a decent standard of living. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost that (or perhaps it is just what media reports on) and in a global economic environment if they are unwilling to WORK with management, they do everyone a disservice. The reflexive combativeness (where it is still prevalent) is stupidity as the company's in today's world are easily able to pick up and leave.

Where Union's should be focusing (IMHO) are ensuring and exposing A) Slave wage labor cannot be exploited against them by countering the politicians caving to corporate interests and B) Corporate welfare (make sure the total costs of shipping things thousands of miles is not being subsidized by US taxpayers (Corporate welfare). C) Providing pay for skill set and rewarding the multi skilled worker (as long as work environment is safe) for being flexible to address production output needs, and D) that marginal gains from automation get transfered to workers share of wealth output (reduced work time, keeping managements pay in a defined range of ratio to lowest worker, say 20 to 1, etc...
Yes. This.

Unions used to be for the workers. Now, employees are similar to children of bitterly divorcing parents who are using the children as weapons against each other and working to get what they think THEY deserve rather than considering what's best for the children (employees).

As someone who's been an employee, I just thank my lucky stars I've lived in a RTW state.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
The UAW has screwed it's own workers. Back in the 1970s, the UAW executives in Michigan built a secret "getaway cottage" in northern Michigan with union dues money. This was unknown to the union workers until the secret got out when one of the union executives was killed in a plane crash going up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram