Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

My biggest disappointment was Chrysler not adding a V8 to the base models. I would rather modify it to my liking than pay such a high price for a V8 in the higher priced models.
They do make the 5.7 Hemi in a bare bones model.
They also make the Scat Pack 6.4 Hemi in a bare bones Model, you just have to look them up.
Thats why theres so many of them at the car shows.

If only they make a new retro version of the original charger as opposed to the 4 door, but I doubt it would sell well for non muscle car people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Did you buy those used?
The Jeep Grand Cherokee was used, but the OEM tires outlasted the LCA bushings (which were so worn out that the axles hit the struts...you read that right...on hard shifts)...the water pump died before 80K miles...the transmission must have been leaking for the previous owner, too, because they plugged a hole in the transmission b ell housing with a random bolt (hole was tapped but supposed to be empty)...even though it was under 5/100 warranty...they tried to fix it but couldn't. It always leaked until the day I dumped it. The N23 update disabled my 4WD low randomly, and I had to buy an un-altered FDCM from a wrecked Jeep from Canada because Chrysler couldn't fix it...google "N23 ruined my jeep"...I mean, the list keeps on going, man...and going...and going. Please tell me how it matters if I bought it new or used with regard to the water pump, LCA bushings (when the OEM Forteras were still holding air!), transmission unable t o be leak-proofed even dropping the whole drivetrain at the dealer...

Just junk. No thank-you, and never again. It was just cheap materials. Noone "assembled the control arms wrong". The bushings just rotted out of it (in <4 years from date of manufacture!). Noone "beat on the water pump", it just gave out and began leaking at 78K miles or so. It was just a really sub-standard vehicle, and I think that is how Chrysler shoves so much "feature" into their vehicles for the price. They use cut-rate materials and save money on that, to invest in things like UConnect and so forth.

Just look at Chrysler's ratings on ANY site (JD Power, CR, TrueDelta, etc.) from about 2005 and later and you will see that they rate very poorly. They don't go through "bad periods and good periods" where the quality rises and falls. They just universally suck. That tells me it's probably a materials issue rather than an assembly or QA/QC issue, because those tend to be fixed as they are revealed as weak points. I think they are buying cheaper raw materials/parts. The fit and finish on a Chrysler is as good as any in and around its price range, and I refuse to believe that they exclusively hire crappy employees. That pretty much leaves cheap raw materials. I do know that the Raybestos parts I bought for my Jeep were of higher quality than the OEM, just looking at/touching/working on them. That should not be so, IMO, as I bought "economy" level replacement parts. Yet they were batter made and appeared to use higher grade bushings, etc. They certainly had ZERO issues during the next 45K miles, and I doubt the OEM bushings just fell apart within 5-10K miles of when I bought it. Also, before you ask, the underside of the vehicle and LCA's themselves were in great shape. IT wasn't a bunch of corrosive issues that killed them. They just dry rotted and stretched and got all "floppy". Never seen anything like it on a 4yo vehicle. Especially when the damn TIRES are still holding air that may have been in them when they rolled off the factory Assy. line, per their date codes, lol!

Last edited by JWG223; 05-15-2019 at 02:06 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 05:27 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
I cant speak for the V8 models, but my wife drives a Charger V6 for work, (company owned) and my son has a Challenger V6. Hers hasnt broke down yet with around 45000 on the odometer. Sons Challenger has around the same and have replaced 2 ABS sensors, and something else, like a humidity sensor or something. Previous owner, according to the dealer service reports, had only ever had it in for service, no repairs. My buddy traced in his 15 ,I forget which model Challenger he had, but it had a V8. Damn thing stayed in the shop constantly for one thing or another. He got to know the wrecker driver personally....

Old 05-15-2019, 05:37 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I used to put a lot of faith in CR evaluations but over time I've given their opinions less weight as I think they have a narrow focus and regarding reliability, the differences between car brands is less pronounced than in the past.
They have to make it seem like there's a big difference.
If they didn't, they'd be out of business.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Although I have had good luck, I won't say they are perfect in reliability either. I follow a couple mopar groups on social media and sure, there are those that have issues. Is it more frequent than owners of other brands? I could not say.

I know I would not touch another Ford product. My Ford experience mirrors JWG's Chrysler experience.

There are not many RWD muscle options out there in more affordable price ranges. Chrysler's, the other domestics pony cars are about it. Then your probably looking at some rather pricey German iron, and the upkeep costs on those on the back end will make keeping a Challenger going look like a bargain.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Even USMC in the other thread had his 2016 Charger RT grenade an engine at less than 5,000 miles.

That is true however they replaced the engine and gave me a new truck to drive around while the car was being fixed. I looked high and low, talked to many mechanics to see if this was a common problem. 100% of my research came back as an anomally and all responses about the 5.7 and the 392 is that they are rock solid. FWIW, a valve retainer failed and dropped a valve into #1 cylinder. It didn't make a sound...the electronics shut it down instantly, but damage was done.

No problems after that...I traded it at around 52-3K

The 392 is a beast! You can't NOT smile when driving it! It's not a HC, but in my opinion it's the best value out of the line up.

As to the multiple musings of a two door Charger...it won't happen. The Charger is not a retro car and there's no way Dodge will change it to compete with the Challenger. That just wouldn't make sense!

Dodge has the performance sedan market locked. The only way to get more performance is to spend more $, in which case they still have you covered with the next higher model.

You can special order the car if you're patient. Where I'm at they love to load up with options...mostly options I don't want, like leather and sunroofs. Don't want them can't have them! The other thing for me was color...not many B5's here.

BTW, I noticed a BIG difference in handling going from the R/T to the SP with the dynamics package (9.5' wheels and 6 piston Brembos) vs the 20" wheels the RT had ( I don't know how wide they were.) The wider wheels grip in corners much better.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:25 AM

186 posts, read 136,050 times
I would love to buy a challenger or a charger. But the dealerships never want to negotiate a reasonable price for these and treat each car like its a corvette (which its not) its just a nice slick fancy sedan. There is such a high demand for them that Dodge will not sell them for a lower value, even the used ones. I saw a 2016 Challenger on a lot and it was listed for $30,000. I offered them $20,000 they laughed and said "you know how popular this car is, someone will be here tomorrow to pay the full price" Dodge dealership employees do not want to negotiate on new or pre-owned because they know they will get top-dollar on popular vehicles. Its all about the demand. I would assume these vehicles are kept in tip-top shape or else Dodge will be under some scrutiny from their parent, Fiat Chrysler.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:56 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I looked high and low, talked to many mechanics to see if this was a common problem. 100% of my research came back as an anomally and all responses about the 5.7 and the 392 is that they are rock solid. .
Good, because that means we dont have to worry about our Scat Packs 392s. This car is very enjoyable and I want it to stay that way.

I had two 5.7s and Ive never had any issues with the motors.
I think when youre on the Mopar social media pages like facebook, theres thousands of people on there and the engine failure stories are pretty Nil compared to the amount of owners. But if one looks at the posts people have of road crashes and engine problems in the wrong frame, one could think theres major issues where there isnt.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,912 times
Quote:
That is true however they replaced the engine and gave me a new truck to drive around while the car was being fixed. I looked high and low, talked to many mechanics to see if this was a common problem. 100% of my research came back as an anomally and all responses about the 5.7 and the 392 is that they are rock solid. FWIW, a valve retainer failed and dropped a valve into #1 cylinder. It didn't make a sound...the electronics shut it down instantly, but damage was done.

The 392 is a beast! You can't NOT smile when driving it! It's not a HC, but in my opinion it's the best value out of the line up.

As to the multiple musings of a two door Charger...it won't happen. The Charger is not a retro car and there's no way Dodge will change it to compete with the Challenger. That just wouldn't make sense!

Dodge has the performance sedan market locked. The only way to get more performance is to spend more $, in which case they still have you covered with the next higher model.

You can special order the car if you're patient. Where I'm at they love to load up with options...mostly options I don't want, like leather and sunroofs. Don't want them can't have them! The other thing for me was color...not many B5's here.

BTW, I noticed a BIG difference in handling going from the R/T to the SP with the dynamics package (9.5' wheels and 6 piston Brembos) vs the 20" wheels the RT had ( I don't know how wide they were.) The wider wheels grip in corners much better.
My thing is materials, with Chrysler. I am of the opinion that they use lesser grade raw materials to cut cost. You notice bushings, shocks, rubber components, seals, gaskets, etc. Dying far sooner than they should.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:13 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:

I agree with you on that 392 motor, it's probably the best value in the lineup and those Brembo brakes are fantastic.

At least JGW has made me a little worried...but so far, so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram