Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times

Advertisements

What I notice most on the Charger and Mopar groups as far as true quality/reliability problems are people with issues with the HVAC blend door. My 2013 had that. Was a quick fix under warranty. After that, people who have had issues with door and center console material warping which is most prevalent in warm states (but I have seen it up north too, mine has some slight warping but I'd have to point it out for anyone to notice). It is awarranty fix (replacement). Neither of course is anywhere near a major mechanical issue, although I find the warping to be a disappointment in materials quality. At least Chrysler has been standing behind it. I see very few complaints about mechanical issues at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree with you on that 392 motor, it's probably the best value in the lineup and those Brembo brakes are fantastic.

At least JGW has made me a little worried...but so far, so good.
I think the issue I have with that model is that I'd rather have a Mercedes AMG CLA45 4Matic instead.

It's just as fast as the Charger with the 392 SP, and it's AWD, pulls 1G on the skidpad, gets 5mpg more across the board, and it costs within $3500 of the same.

Now granted, if you slap options on there, the 'Benz will cost more. but if you buy a CPO, you're right back at it. I just think it's classier and the AWD makes it much better. I'm totally sold out to AWD platforms after being a Corvette Z06/370Z/pony car owner for years.

I would expect reliability between the two to slightly favor the AMG car, and repair cost to definitely favor the Chrysler. For the difference of AWD and far superior driving dynamics, I'd go AMG though. Something to consider if you're going to form over $50K and want a sedan.

Another thing though, is that I have observed that SRT products ARE superior to non-SRT products. I don't keep up with all the flip-flops, but does the SP make the car an SRT assembled product? If so, that carries mucho weight with me. If not, it's just another Chrysler that robbed the brake/engine parts bin.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I think the issue I have with that model is that I'd rather have a Mercedes AMG CLA45 4Matic instead.

It's just as fast as the Charger with the 392 SP, and it's AWD, pulls 1G on the skidpad, gets 5mpg more across the board, and it costs within $3500 of the same.

Now granted, if you slap options on there, the 'Benz will cost more. but if you buy a CPO, you're right back at it. I just think it's classier and the AWD makes it much better. I'm totally sold out to AWD platforms after being a Corvette Z06/370Z/pony car owner for years.

I would expect reliability between the two to slightly favor the AMG car, and repair cost to definitely favor the Chrysler. For the difference of AWD and far superior driving dynamics, I'd go AMG though. Something to consider if you're going to form over $50K and want a sedan.

Another thing though, is that I have observed that SRT products ARE superior to non-SRT products. I don't keep up with all the flip-flops, but does the SP make the car an SRT assembled product? If so, that carries mucho weight with me. If not, it's just another Chrysler that robbed the brake/engine parts bin.
You got rid of your Corvette?

Old 05-22-2019, 04:11 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:

SP does not mean SRT but it does incorporate some of the components.

I do have the 707 HP Charger SRT and what I love about it is all the great components they incorporated from ZF 8 speed, Brembo 6 piston brakes, 19 speaker Harman Kardon sound system, excellent wheels and tires, upgraded interior, heated and cooled seats....to get a foreign make that could match that would cost $50K more.

I like that AMG CLA45 but it's no Hellcat. I wouldn't mind if they pt the Trackhawk AWD system in the Hellcat.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:59 AM

doublepost*

Last edited by JWG223; 05-23-2019 at 02:12 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
SP does not mean SRT but it does incorporate some of the components.

I do have the 707 HP Charger SRT and what I love about it is all the great components they incorporated from ZF 8 speed, Brembo 6 piston brakes, 19 speaker Harman Kardon sound system, excellent wheels and tires, upgraded interior, heated and cooled seats....to get a foreign make that could match that would cost $50K more.

I like that AMG CLA45 but it's no Hellcat. I wouldn't mind if they pt the Trackhawk AWD system in the Hellcat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You got rid of your Corvette?
The CLA45 isn't Hellcat level, certainly not, but it is SP/SRT8 level. Also, yes, I love all my creature comforts. I was reminded today why I have an SUV instead of a sports car, though. The ruts in my neighborhood roads (gravel, steep hills) were 5-8" deep as a result of all the rain. Yes, we have tractors and Bobcats and rock-rakes and they were shortly put in order, but that would do me ZERO good coming home at 5am that day. That would slaughter your Hellcat/SRT/SP/Base Charger. Right now I am 33 and paying on my house, 13 acres of land, and am a single-person income, so I really am not in a place to own something with a $800 note + a daily + insurance for both, nor pay cash for them at this time. I chose the estate over cars in my 30's, cars over the estate in my 20's. Why? because I lived in a city I hated in my 20's and knew I'd be moving. Odd order, I know.

VS. how I used to live:

*My Maine Coon is awesome.

So yes, that is why I now drive a $35K SUV instead of the kinds of vehicles I used to drive. Maybe you've made better choices and in your early 30's are further along than I, but I'm content with where life's landed me, and having owned some legit awesome cars in my 20's, I don't have that jealousy that I might otherwise have when I see a Z06 or whatever at the stoplight. I still appreciate it though! That said, I see a LOT of hellcats around here. Are they super abundant where you guys live? It seems noone even bothers buying the SRT8 models anymore and just skip straight to Hellcat and Trackhawk, here.

Last edited by JWG223; 05-23-2019 at 02:24 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The CLA45 isn't Hellcat level, certainly not, but it is SP/SRT8 level. Also, yes, I love all my creature comforts. I was reminded today why I have an SUV instead of a sports car, though. The ruts in my neighborhood roads (gravel, steep hills) were 5-8" deep as a result of all the rain. Yes, we have tractors and Bobcats and rock-rakes and they were shortly put in order, but that would do me ZERO good coming home at 5am that day. That would slaughter your Hellcat/SRT/SP/Base Charger. Right now I am 33 and paying on my house, 13 acres of land, and am a single-person income, so I really am not in a place to own something with a $800 note + a daily + insurance for both, nor pay cash for them at this time. I chose the estate over cars in my 30's, cars over the estate in my 20's. Why? because I lived in a city I hated in my 20's and knew I'd be moving. Odd order, I know.

VS. how I used to live:

So yes, that is why I now drive a $35K SUV instead of the kinds of vehicles I used to drive. Maybe you've made better choices and in your early 30's are further along than I, but I'm content with where life's landed me, and having owned some legit awesome cars in my 20's, I don't have that jealousy that I might otherwise have when I see a Z06 or whatever at the stoplight. I still appreciate it though! That said, I see a LOT of hellcats around here. Are they super abundant where you guys live? It seems noone even bothers buying the SRT8 models anymore and just skip straight to Hellcat and Trackhawk, here.

Used to have a Maine Coon Hellcat. He got into everything.

Here mostly the bread and butter SXT Challengers. Then it's the R/T's. Not many SRT's. No Hellcats or Redeyes. That is the pecking order.

The only thing I don't like about the Corvette is that to replace or repair one part you had to remove a bunch of other parts. Like when they had to drain and change transmission fluid and filter the rear end had to be dropped as well as the whole exhaust.
Also it gets hot in the Corvette. Basically with the Corvette there is no room so the heat builds up and it gets hot inside as well as since everything is packed in so tight it's more trouble or labor time to remove all of the items in the way to get to the area that needs attention/repair/maintenance.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Used to have a Maine Coon Hellcat. He got into everything.

Here mostly the bread and butter SXT Challengers. Then it's the R/T's. Not many SRT's. No Hellcats or Redeyes. That is the pecking order.

The only thing I don't like about the Corvette is that to replace or repair one part you had to remove a bunch of other parts. Like when they had to drain and change transmission fluid and filter the rear end had to be dropped as well as the whole exhaust.
Also it gets hot in the Corvette. Basically with the Corvette there is no room so the heat builds up and it gets hot inside as well as since everything is packed in so tight it's more trouble or labor time to remove all of the items in the way to get to the area that needs attention/repair/maintenance.
Compared to other cars in its class, the Z06 is pretty cheap to maintain, though. The tunnel did heat up some, yes, but never an issue really. My Maine Coon does get into things, but he's learning, lol! Pretty chill cat. Always likes being around people/sleeps on the pillow/etc.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Compared to other cars in its class, the Z06 is pretty cheap to maintain, though. The tunnel did heat up some, yes, but never an issue really. My Maine Coon does get into things, but he's learning, lol! Pretty chill cat. Always likes being around people/sleeps on the pillow/etc.
those mAINE cOONS are like dogs as they make lots of noise and get into things. You notice that their paws are mean't for the snow. They have AWD.

it's does get pretty hot in that cockpit especially in a 72 454 Coupe I used to have where the heat came in from the engine and flooded the interior compartment. The C-6 isn't as bad though same principle everything is packed in. On C-3 at least it's conventional transmission in the middle whereas the C-6 all of those components in rear from exhaust, transmission, rear end makes for more heat. But it's because these Corvettes are light that puts them ahead of the rest..

Would like more room now. Trackhawk is too expensive $100,000+ but at least it has AWD. Redeye and Hellcat just RWD.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:41 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:

VS. how I used to live:

There are a fair number of Chargers, Challengers with probably more Hellcats than regular SRT's but also plenty of Scat Packs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram