Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:11 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times

Advertisements

Was just curious does the Dodge Challenger earn the reputation and title of a unreliable vehicle to avoid per Consumer Reports?

I have never seen such a low rating especially on this brand?

The specific models of the Challenger I would be interested in are the Challenger Scat Pack with 392 engine, Hellcat and Redeye.

I realize that the Redeye is a new model so there might not be enough data out yet on this model.
The Demon is too specialized and no longer in production
The Redeye might be too new for any data available on this car.

But even any reliable information on the past models of the Challenger like the Challenger SRT 392, or even the bread n butter Challenger model Dodge sells the most of equipped with the Penestar V6 (with mini-van engine) SXT Challenger if that turns out to be the most reliable and comfortable riding of all the Dodge Challenger models across the board being that is the Challenger model you see mostly on the street.

I like the power of the 392 engine and am interested primarily in the R/T Scat Pack model Challenger.

Hellcat and Redeye models too but those might be too costly as far as initial purchase price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 01:47 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
I just looked at JD Power and the scat pack challenger gets 80% and 4.5 ratings. Not sure what consumer reports are doing.

Plus I own a 2019 Scat pack Charger. Pretty much the same as the challenger except for the body.
This is my fourth Charger and Ive had no major issues with them, and only a handful of minor issues.

If youre looking to get a fast muscle car, youre going to get it. It probably got lower scores because people are expecting a luxury feel out of a muscle car, which is ridiculous.

I bought mine in south Virginia, and drove it all the way back to Jersey in the rain, and I didnt think of comfort once. As with my other 3 chargers, they have always been comfortable for long trips.

With the new Scat Pack, if you get all the right trim, youre getting everything you could need in a car. I say go for it. There arent any major issues that are going on with these cars.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I just looked at JD Power and the scat pack challenger gets 80% and 4.5 ratings. Not sure what consumer reports are doing.

Plus I own a 2019 Scat pack Charger. Pretty much the same as the challenger except for the body.
This is my fourth Charger and Ive had no major issues with them, and only a handful of minor issues.

If youre looking to get a fast muscle car, youre going to get it. It probably got lower scores because people are expecting a luxury feel out of a muscle car, which is ridiculous.

I bought mine in south Virginia, and drove it all the way back to Jersey in the rain, and I didnt think of comfort once. As with my other 3 chargers, they have always been comfortable for long trips.

With the new Scat Pack, if you get all the right trim, youre getting everything you could need in a car. I say go for it. There arent any major issues that are going on with these cars.
Consumer Reports is looking at reliability and any kind of problems with engine, electrical, suspension etc.
They do rate satisfaction with owners on these cars very high. ie Corvette, Mustang but reliability very low.
Consumers always rates the majority of Japanese cars as reliable.

I know Charger and Challenger are on same suspension. Charger is 4 door and Challenger a two door. Per haps having those 2 extra doors make it more of a comfortable passenger muscle car.

But I would think the ride is about the same since they are on same platform but I do like the look of the Challenger. Now they have widebody option which adds $6,000 to Scat Pack. Also something called an Adaptive suspension option which I am not sure if that makes the ride more stiffer and uncomfortable for better handling.

At this point I want comfort in whichever Challenger model I get with performance.

Would love to check into Hellcat or Redeye but those 2 Challengers are just priced so high and of course I become concerned with the maintenance and reliability issues if any with super charger.

Thanks for your input. It's a positive one for the R/T 392 Scat Pack (best bang for the buck), Redeye and Hellcat or which ever model I end up with.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I am sure anyone who wants to buy the car that CR rates as being most reliable, then they will enjoy their Toyota appliance.

If your looking to buy a V8 muscle car, then you throw out your CR magazine and go have some fun!

Over the years I have had plenty of cars that do not "rate" well, but have been perfectly fine. Lucky? Maybe, but mostly I think those ratings are generalities at best, misleading at worst and ultimately they are not that reliable themselves. (Example, Hummer H2's got trashed by JD Power for poor reliability, the complain was "they use a lot of gas." Mini's too for cup holders being flimsy. Hardly a real reliability issue) As such, I do not give them undue weight in my purchase decisions.

I have owned two Chargers over the past 6.5 years. In that time the only unscheduled repair I have had to do was a heater mix door repaired under warranty on my 2013. My 2016 has had no unscheduled maintenance.

As for ride, just drive them. The door count does not affect the ride quality and harshness, but the tire and suspension packages differ between trims and can have some difference. I do not think any of them can be considered harsh, and I much prefer their ride comfort balance to a lot of alleged sport sedans that are on the harsh side.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I am sure anyone who wants to buy the car that CR rates as being most reliable, then they will enjoy their Toyota appliance.

If your looking to buy a V8 muscle car, then you throw out your CR magazine and go have some fun!

Over the years I have had plenty of cars that do not "rate" well, but have been perfectly fine. Lucky? Maybe, but mostly I think those ratings are generalities at best, misleading at worst and ultimately they are not that reliable themselves. (Example, Hummer H2's got trashed by JD Power for poor reliability, the complain was "they use a lot of gas." Mini's too for cup holders being flimsy. Hardly a real reliability issue) As such, I do not give them undue weight in my purchase decisions.

I have owned two Chargers over the past 6.5 years. In that time the only unscheduled repair I have had to do was a heater mix door repaired under warranty on my 2013. My 2016 has had no unscheduled maintenance.

As for ride, just drive them. The door count does not affect the ride quality and harshness, but the tire and suspension packages differ between trims and can have some difference. I do not think any of them can be considered harsh, and I much prefer their ride comfort balance to a lot of alleged sport sedans that are on the harsh side.
Thanks for your input.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Thanks for your input.
Youve been debating buying the Challenger or a while now, when are you going to get it already?

Old 05-12-2019, 02:57 PM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Haven’t been to a Cars and Coffee in a while and was surprised at the amount of Challengers (not the old steel bumper ones) I saw yesterday. Now I had several 70’s Challengers that I wrenched on and must say when the new Challengers came out I was pretty damned impressed in how closely they resembled the Challengers I had. I have always been a Mopar guy and try to not be two biased but the Challenger really was spot on compared to the newer Mustangs and Camaros.

My biggest disappointment was Chrysler not adding a V8 to the base models. I would rather modify it to my liking than pay such a high price for a V8 in the higher priced models.

My two cents, but again, the colors, the graphics and hood choices all remind me of Chrysler of years ago! They did a great job reintroducing the Challenger.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:52 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Was just curious does the Dodge Challenger earn the reputation and title of a unreliable vehicle to avoid per Consumer Reports?

I have never seen such a low rating especially on this brand?

The specific models of the Challenger I would be interested in are the Challenger Scat Pack with 392 engine, Hellcat and Redeye.

I realize that the Redeye is a new model so there might not be enough data out yet on this model.
The Demon is too specialized and no longer in production
The Redeye might be too new for any data available on this car.

But even any reliable information on the past models of the Challenger like the Challenger SRT 392, or even the bread n butter Challenger model Dodge sells the most of equipped with the Penestar V6 (with mini-van engine) SXT Challenger if that turns out to be the most reliable and comfortable riding of all the Dodge Challenger models across the board being that is the Challenger model you see mostly on the street.

I like the power of the 392 engine and am interested primarily in the R/T Scat Pack model Challenger.

Hellcat and Redeye models too but those might be too costly as far as initial purchase price.
I used to put a lot of faith in CR evaluations but over time I've given their opinions less weight as I think they have a narrow focus and regarding reliability, the differences between car brands is less pronounced than in the past. If there were a specific problem with a major component of a car such as unreliable transmission or engine then I do consider that.

I've known too many people that have had the Challenger and Charger that loved them and had few problems so I decided to buy a 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat which uses much of the same components as the Challenger and so far, I've had zero issues.

If you love the car and that great 392 engine in the Scat pack, I wouldn't hesitate buying one if I were you.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
I personally would not buy a Chrysler product. I did, once, against the recommendations of Consumer Reports and all of my friends, and I was very sorry I did. From my friends:

-Transmission issues, 2013 RAM/HEMI
-SRT8 Challenger, Transmission issues
-RAM1500, Transmission issues (newer, unsure what year, 2015?)
-My 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Tons of issues.

Even USMC in the other thread had his 2016 Charger RT grenade an engine at less than 5,000 miles.

No, Chrysler is a cheap way to get into some legit horsepower, but the associated costs on the back end do not justify the savings on the front end, if you care about reliability. If it's a second or third vehicle "just for fun", then I'd say go for it, but don't be surprised when it breaks or has a bunch of issues past the 75K mile mark if you daily it.

I have found Consumer Reports to be DEAD ON accurate. Also, yes, I have a friend with a new (2018?) Mustang, and it's been nothing but a disappointment with fit, finish, and niggling issues.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I personally would not buy a Chrysler product. I did, once, against the recommendations of Consumer Reports and all of my friends, and I was very sorry I did. From my friends:

-Transmission issues, 2013 RAM/HEMI
-SRT8 Challenger, Transmission issues
-RAM1500, Transmission issues (newer, unsure what year, 2015?)
-My 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Tons of issues.

Even USMC in the other thread had his 2016 Charger RT grenade an engine at less than 5,000 miles.

No, Chrysler is a cheap way to get into some legit horsepower, but the associated costs on the back end do not justify the savings on the front end, if you care about reliability. If it's a second or third vehicle "just for fun", then I'd say go for it, but don't be surprised when it breaks or has a bunch of issues past the 75K mile mark if you daily it.

I have found Consumer Reports to be DEAD ON accurate. Also, yes, I have a friend with a new (2018?) Mustang, and it's been nothing but a disappointment with fit, finish, and niggling issues.
Did you buy those used?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram