Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,994 times

Advertisements

I went to college in Cincy years ago. Finally got a chance to move back about a year-and-a-half ago. I'd always touted the city as one of the best in the country - progressive, race-tolerant, unique. In the 70's, it was one of only 3 cities with good, international-style shopping (NYC & SF the others).
I was disappointed - the shopping is now the same as anywhere else - the racial situation has fallen completely apart, urban sprawl just amazed me - I ended up living in a near suburb that hadn't even existed when I left. The Arts & Entertainment sector is still okay.
However, I re-learned the same truth 35 years later that I had learned before - the best thing Cincy has going is Newport, KY. Oh, and it just ain't easy being a Bengals fan lo these many years later. Chris Henry - take a grow-up pill!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 07:14 PM

146 posts, read 789,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
I mean we should be honest, Cincinnati is only a place to work, work, work, then die. Nothing here but a few 'here and now' activities which is why I am joining those who have made the voyage to the south....
No, a 3% growth rate for 5 years is not huge, it's actually about ideal. As I'm sure you will learn after you live in Atlanta for a while, super-fast growth rates are not a good thing. I can't believe how much I've been reading lately about so many ex-northerners moving back north from places such as NC, GA and FL because of the excessive growth and its related problems in those areas. One of the major contributing factors to the continued excessive growth in those states is a massive influx of illegal immigrants.

As for the city of Cincy's population loss that has ended, just about every major city in the Midwest and Northeast has experienced a population loss as people have moved to newer homes in suburban and exurban areas. Atlanta's sprawl makes Cincy's look like nothing.

As for crime, the crime rate for the entire Cincy metro area is below the national average, unlike the Atlanta metro's, which is above the national average. And the city of Cincy's recent record crime rate is still lower than the city of Atlanta's crime rate.

To each his own, but the south is the only region of the country that I would never consider living in.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:08 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,555 times
Couldnt have said it better myself, Subway. Atlanta's crime rate is much worse than Cincinnati's. Sorry that Cincinnati doesnt annex its suburbs like Atlanta. Why do you think Atlanta took that huge jump in population in the city center? They annex. Thats not a good thing. Just to refresh your memory the city of Altanta was actually loosing population throughout the late 90s and early 21st century. They finally started growing after annexing. They are also experiencing a condo boom which is helping. Same thing can be said for Cincinnati as many new housing units are moving in. Could help explain for Cincinnati's rise in population.

Its not just people that have moved from the north down south find themselves coming back, but many born southerners moving north. Especially to states like Ohio and Pennsylvania. I have mentioned before that my brother-in-law just moved his family from Florida to Columbus a few weeks ago. The standard of living is much better up here. Im sorry, but last October when i was in Atlanta i found many problems facing the city. The crime was horrible and i was only in the downtown. Passing some of the spots on MARTA didnt look good at all. Looked like some spots in Detroit's 8 mile. And you want to talk about sparwl? Atlanta's metro now covers most of northern Georgia.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:17 PM

187 posts, read 918,770 times
Okay....perhaps it is fair to say that each city faces it's own difficulties. But lets be honest, when it comes to moving forwarding, improving, and modernizing, Atlanta have Cincinnati beat all across the board.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:22 PM

^True in some spots, but Cincinnati is really modernizing. Have you been to Fountain Square lately? The Riverfront is growing and expanding. The University of Cincinnati is one of the most modern urban universities in the country. I love Atlanta's skyline, dont get me wrong i dont hate Atlanta one bit. Probaly along with Charlotte my favorite southern city. But people need to realize that Cincinnati is changing, and doing so much faster than many other cities across the country. Cincinnati is putting more money into its riverfront than any other city in the nation at the moment. We have a fast growing job market, one of the fastest in the northern half of the country from Seattle to Portland, Maine. Sorry, i didnt mean to come off hating Atlanta.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Default References, Statement of Facts, ?

Please for crying out loud...and no offense, I am reading all of these posts and no one has listed where they are getting their information. PLease help me understanding what you are reading unlike myself...

Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 PM

The new development going on in Fountain Square:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountai...%2C_Cincinnati

Cincinnati Images:

http://cincyimages.com/joomla/index.php (broken link)

http://www.pbase.com/cincyimages/cincinnati

These ones are my favorite:
http://www.pbase.com/cincyimages/cin..._skyline_night

Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM

The Banks Project. Notice between the two stadiums.

http://216.68.103.138/images/future_riverfront400x272.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Cincinnati's new tallest proposed. Not a big fan of the crown on top, but it might just look better if it gets finished. Phase one is already completed.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=435150 (broken link)

Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
The Banks Project. Notice between the two stadiums.

http://216.68.103.138/images/future_riverfront400x272.jpg (broken link)
WOW....The Banks project isn't going anywhere. Besides, what about developing Cincinnati's neighborhoods? Most of them (or at least the ones with rich and diverse history) are gone down or on its way to being a ghetto. I don't want to have to leave my community just to have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati