Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Yeah I just kinda figure it says, "We have a 50 million dollar budget deficit so we don't give a damn about painting bridges right now."
Yet they can somehow manage to scrounge up the financing for a pretty new streetcar system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
I know some may not want to hear the critical sentiments of Great American Tower but I agree with your opinions for the most part. I think it would look better if it were taller and slimmer.

I was talking to some people about the tiara and I basically said, "yeah, once they finish it, it will really look good." They looked at me with a confused look wondering what did I mean by 'finish.' I thought there was going to be more done to it. maybe enclose it or something. It just has an incomplete look IMO. I'll just have to wait and see what it looks like once the GAI logo and lights are put into place. I'm also not sure if a crwon representing the Queen City will be the first thing that comes to mind when visitors look at it.
When I first saw the plans for the tower, it looked like the top was going to be enclosed in glass. Do you know how the lighting is supposed to work? Will they outline the top of the tiara at night, or just shine up from below?

Sorry, mods, I know this is getting off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM

64 posts, read 142,669 times
you can go as fast as you want just dont be dumb and get caught. i usually go btw 80-90 and never have been caught but im always keeping a lookout. constantly looking in my rear view mirror, to the left and right and several hundred yards ahead. i would say that its safer to exceed the speed limit b/c im so much more focused on every car on the highway. if im just being lazy and only going 60-65 b/c i dont got the energy to speed im barely paying attention only looking on whats going right in front of me.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
you can go as fast as you want just dont be dumb and get caught. i usually go btw 80-90 and never have been caught but im always keeping a lookout. constantly looking in my rear view mirror, to the left and right and several hundred yards ahead. i would say that its safer to exceed the speed limit b/c im so much more focused on every car on the highway. if im just being lazy and only going 60-65 b/c i dont got the energy to speed im barely paying attention only looking on whats going right in front of me.
So, just because you believe you are paying attention, you are a safe driver? If you are navigating at 80-90 mph anywhere near the city, you are a menace on the highways. Just another example of our current society's expression of do what the Hell I want to do, be Dammed of anyone else.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 AM

279 posts, read 718,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Yet they can somehow manage to scrounge up the financing for a pretty new streetcar system.
Ha true.

I dunno, I guess I've just never been driving on the highway and thought to myself..."Boy all those non-landscaped trees look terrible. And I wish they'd paint the bridges...this place is a dump!"

Old 08-17-2010, 12:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
you can go as fast as you want just dont be dumb and get caught. i usually go btw 80-90 and never have been caught but im always keeping a lookout. constantly looking in my rear view mirror, to the left and right and several hundred yards ahead. i would say that its safer to exceed the speed limit b/c im so much more focused on every car on the highway. if i'm just being lazy and only going 60-65 b/c i dont got the energy to speed im barely paying attention only looking on whats going right in front of me.
You know what, webbj, you might have the fastest, most nimble motor car in the world. And you might have the fastest reflexes of any living human being. But you're on a public highway, sharing the road with the rest of us. You're sharing the road with teenagers who are still driving on learner's permits. You're sharing the road with business people who are thinking about their next big deal. You're sharing the road with the old couple who rarely get on the interstate and is scared to death to drive more than 55 mph. You're sharing the road with a tractor trailer loaded with 55 gallon drums of highly flammable dry cleaning solvent. And so on.

None of these people know your intentions. None of them even know you exist. They're each in their own world. You may be lucky enough that a few who see you coming and are able to avoid your driving. But what about those who don't??? On a race track, EVERYONE is on the same page. Everyone knows what the other guy is going to do. The real world of driving is not like that. To believe any other way is dangerously selfish...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 08-18-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM

269 posts, read 778,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
You know what, webbj, you might have the fastest, most nimble motor car in the world. And you might have the fastest reflexes of any living human being. But you're on a public highway, sharing the road with the rest of us. You're sharing the road with teenagers who are still driving on learner's permits. You are sharing the road with business people who are thinking about their next big deal. You're sharing the road with the old couple who rarely get on the interstate and are scared to death to drive more than 55 mph. You're sharing the road with a tractor trailer loaded with 55 gallon drums of highly flammable dry cleaning solvent. And so on.

None of these people know your intentions. None of them even know you exist. They're each in their own world. You may be lucky enough that a few who see you coming and are able to avoid your driving. But what about those who don't??? On a race track, EVERYONE is on the same page. Everyone knows what the other guy is going to do. The real world of driving is not like that. To believe any other way is dangerously selfish...
Lol. I saw an old lady like that today. It looked like she had the seat adjusted as far forward as it would go. When I passed her and looked in my rearview mirror, all I saw were knuckles and hair.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
Lol. I saw an old lady like that today. It looked like she had the seat adjusted as far forward as it would go. When I passed her and looked in my rearview mirror, all I saw were knuckles and hair.
Only thing worse than that: When she comes off the on-ramp. Slowly. In a snow storm...

Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Only thing worse than that: When she comes off the on-ramp. Slowly. In a snow storm...
Or heaven forbid she slows down to admire the wildflowers in the median. I saw someone cause an accident doing that on I-71 near the Waynesville/Wilmington exit once.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
^Beaver, you mean they didn't show the fine on the ticket?
Sorry this is so late, I was in Indianapolis and Milwaukee this week. No, all I had was a ticket ID number type thing. Anyway, my check cleared, so I guess I am all good. Now, I will just have to worry about speeding hopefully. I now have been making complete stops at almost all stop signs.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Ha true.

I dunno, I guess I've just never been driving on the highway and thought to myself..."Boy all those non-landscaped trees look terrible. And I wish they'd paint the bridges...this place is a dump!"
Just to clarify, I'm not really trying to rag on Cincinnati. My comment was actually meant to be constructive criticism...a helpful hint, so to speak. Yes, I think certain things like overgrown weeds hanging over retaining walls, and rusty looking overpasses, say a lot about a place. People passing through an area get an immediate impression about the area by such things. If you have a lot of run-down factories or empty parking lots with overgrown weeds, it does indeed say "We don't care too much about our appearance". I know it affects MY opinion of an area when I'm passing through. That's why cities do streetscaping. When I go along I-75 through Dayton, or Northern Kentucky, or Lexington, or I-70/I-74 approaching Indianapolis, I don't see the same sloppy appearance along the highway.

Anyway, just my opinion. I don't want to cause any arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Sorry this is so late, I was in Indianapolis and Milwaukee this week. No, all I had was a ticket ID number type thing. Anyway, my check cleared, so I guess I am all good. Now, I will just have to worry about speeding hopefully. I now have been making complete stops at almost all stop signs.
Well, buddy, I understand that kind of paranoia. It's really odd that the fine wasn't listed on the ticket. What do they expect people to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati