Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:57 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Let's start by Redding my replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The South is a big area. It stretches from El Paso to the most Northern point in North Virginia and from Northwest Kentucky to Key West, Florida. El Paso looks nothing at all like Key West or Virginia. In fact, El Paso doesn't look anything at all like Austin, the Capital of Texas. EL Paso looks more like Tucson, Las Vegas and San Bernadino than it looks like Austin, Savannah, or Paducah, Kentucky.

Wait. So you choose to include Census designated El Paso as Southern but not Maryland? What happened to the Mason Dixon line? Or does culture only matter when it suits your argument?

The Smokey Mountains are as much a part of the South as the Mississippi River Delta region in the States of Mississippi and Arkansas. Historically and according to US Government.

So...then we are still on the same page of Cincinnati NOT being the South correct? Because last I checked Cincinnati was always in Ohio.

The Midwest it stretches from the most Northwestern point in North Dakota to most Southeast point of Ohio.

To say the Southern Appalachians are not part of the South, then you'll have to say the Badlands in South Dakota are not part of the Midwest and neither are the treeless Great Plains of Western sections of Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakota's, compared to the Midwestern Breadbasket States of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri, and the Eastern parts of Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas.

I understand what you're saying but historically and according to the US Government, that's how the region's are divided up.

So why leave off Maryland and Delaware? And how does this make Cincy Southern???

You can break the region's up into sub regions where each state is in a sub region with states that physically look like each other. Such as a subregion of say, for example, the Great Plains you can group the Western treeless Great Plains states of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, with the Eastern treeless Great Plains States of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.

The Apalachian states that stretch from Northeast Alabama to New England could be a sub region.

The Midwest, The South, The West, they all cover huge areas of land and differences in the look of the landscape are quite different from the furthest points of each region.

The Northeast is small enough in land area, you won't have the vast differences of land formations from one end of the NE to the opposite end like in the other 3 regions of the Lower 48.

Hope I made sense. I found this post very difficult to explain and took alot of time to type out, and now I have a headache.
I am trying to understand what you were trying to say in this post. How is Cincinnati Southern???

Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
There are country bars in Manhattan. There are country bars in LA. That doesn't make them "southern".

Again, this is an idiotic thread. No way is even 5% of Cincinnati's metro population from the actual plantation south.

Again, Kentucky did not secede because it did not have a plantation economy to preserve. Same story with West Virginia -- it seceded from Virginia because it did not have a plantation-owning upper class tricking low-class whites into keeping the system going.
Even if we agree Kentucky is the South, OHIO NEVER WAS.

THEREFORE CINCINNATI IS NORTHERN!!!

Old 09-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I bet you'll find more than a few in the bowling alleys, the country music bars and clubs, and the blue collar/white working class areas/neighborhoods of the metro area that stretches from Cincinnati to Dayton.

Actually, I've heard quite a few people in Cincinnati area who sound similar to Bobby Bare. I looked him up in Wikipedia and, sure enough, he is from Ohio.

Also, you don't want to forget the black section because you'll hear quite a few Southern accents.
Really bruh? "I bet" is the response? Come on man.

The accent heard in working class Cincy neighborhoods is a local accent with nasal short A pronunciations similar to Cleveland or Chicago. There is no drawl, either. Have you been around say Cheviot or Western Hills and heard White people speak? Besides where would a Southern accent come from? Most Cincinnati Whites either have ties to Bavaria or to settlers from the Northeast. In none of this would a Southern accent make sense.

Blacks sounding Southern is found in Chicago. So. Who really considers that a usable metric?

Old 09-23-2017, 04:10 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Let's start by Redding my replies

I am trying to understand what you were trying to say in this post. How is Cincinnati Southern???
I'm not saying Cincinnati is in the South or is Southern. I nevet said that or tried to imply it. I'm saying there are plenty of people in Cincinnati that are from Kentucky. That's just a fact. Kentucky is right across the Ohio River from Kentucky. It's only natural you'll find Kentuckians in and near Cincinatti. I have family who moved from Kentucky to Cincinnati. I've known people who moved back and forth several times between Cincinnati and Kentucky. I would venture to guess 10 to 20 percent of the white population in the Cincinatti metro area are from Kentucky, or their parents or grandparents came from there. Its not hard to find a Kentucky twang in Cincinatti or in that part of Ohio, for that matter . You make it sound like there is not one single person from Kentucky that lives in Cincinnati or near Cincinnati on the Ohio side of the River.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:18 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
It wouldnt surprise me if there are more Kentuckians in Cincinnati and SW Ohio than any city in the world outside of Louisville, Lexington, Owensbiro, Bowling Green, and Indianapolis/Muncie.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:54 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I have a friend in Minnesota that is a Southern Baptist. He's a native Minnesotan. Somehow there is at least one church in that state that affiliates with that denomination.
One of my roommates was raised a southern baptist. She's also native to MN, and is half Finnish and half Ojibwe

Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Indeed. The Heartland is everything outside of the commutable exurbs of big cities. Philadelphia and NYC are sufficiently close together, that there's no space between them for a Heartland. Likewise Philadelphia and DC. But what about say 50 miles north of Albany, NY? Definitely Heartland!

Ohio is unusual, in that it lacks an overwhelmingly dominant single city (Colorado's Denver, Illinois' Chicago, Minnesota's Minneapolis-St. Paul, etc.), and instead has three midsized cities, each just over 100 miles from the other. Thus all three are islands, with Heartland between them.
This is a very noteworthy point you make, one which I never gave much thought to until I lived in New York City, and then upstate New York, and then Wisconsin.

When you're in another part of the country, and you mention that you live in "New York", the average person immediately conceives of New York City, in its most stereotypical and iconic form. I can't tell you the number of people I've met in Wisconsin (who have never been to the eastern states), who are genuinely amazed when I've told them I lived in a part of New York that was just as rural as many parts of Wisconsin.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
There are country bars in Manhattan. There are country bars in LA. That doesn't make them "southern".

Again, this is an idiotic thread. No way is even 5% of Cincinnati's metro population from the actual plantation south.

Again, Kentucky did not secede because it did not have a plantation economy to preserve. Same story with West Virginia -- it seceded from Virginia because it did not have a plantation-owning upper class tricking low-class whites into keeping the system going.
Actually a large part of West Virginia seceded from the United States along with the rest of Virginia. They were frog-marched into a new state by bayonets and legislation they didn't vote upon.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying Cincinnati is in the South or is Southern. I nevet said that or tried to imply it. I'm saying there are plenty of people in Cincinnati that are from Kentucky. That's just a fact. Kentucky is right across the Ohio River from Kentucky. It's only natural you'll find Kentuckians in and near Cincinatti. I have family who moved from Kentucky to Cincinnati. I've known people who moved back and forth several times between Cincinnati and Kentucky. I would venture to guess 10 to 20 percent of the white population in the Cincinatti metro area are from Kentucky, or their parents or grandparents came from there. Its not hard to find a Kentucky twang in Cincinatti or in that part of Ohio, for that matter . You make it sound like there is not one single person from Kentucky that lives in Cincinnati or near Cincinnati on the Ohio side of the River.
Sorry for misunderstanding you cuz. I thought you implied that but then your post defining made no sense to me even though it didn't include Ohio.

But yes lots of Kentuckians moved to Fairfield, Hamilton, and areas of the metro. I hear many live in Springboro and South Lebanon as well.

The city has pockets as well. But you can usually tell them from the native Cincinnati population just by looking at them. They don't look German at all. They lack that robust Cromag Cincinnati look and have round puffy Kentucky faces lol. They're not as heavily built either.

Cincinnati people look distinctive to me and Kentuckians look rather unassuming and bland. Sounds mean but I think it is true. Kentuckians are just not very distinctive looking. Not as bad as Indiana whon look distinctive but outside of Northern Indiana and Indianapolis they look just bad. No. Kentuckians just look...like people. Cincinnati people look unique and striking in features. Very Bavarian but with a definite Anglo Saxon undertone.

To me Cincinnati people look OFF in the South. I remember always running into Cincy people in Louisville and just being like WHOA this person looks out of place. Louisville people are kind of soft looking even when trashy lmao. They just look like mild mannered hipsters from the country. Cincinnati people on the other hand look like they could kick some serious ass if you mess with them. They're just built...German as hell. Louisville people seem rather just like short Irish types or at least the ones who get ****faced. Lot pudgier people in Louisville. Few more stereotype beta males. Cincinnati dudes you just respect by their demeanor and person. They come off Northern to me. And like East Coast a bit except they don't really look East Coast at all just very Midwestern hardass type.

I mean Cincinnati people are nice but the genuine kind of nice not the fake kind. Southerners are fake. But even tough guy Southerners would stand out in Cincinnati. The attitudes of Cincy seem to me more get out of my way please. Passive but the aggressive is definitely there. In other words Midwestern as hell. They don't even like sweet tea that much. They will drink it but can live without it.

Cincinnati is unique. But NOT the Southern kind of unique. It is uniquely Midwestern in attitude.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Sorry for misunderstanding you cuz. I thought you implied that but then your post defining made no sense to me even though it didn't include Ohio.

But yes lots of Kentuckians moved to Fairfield, Hamilton, and areas of the metro. I hear many live in Springboro and South Lebanon as well.

The city has pockets as well. But you can usually tell them from the native Cincinnati population just by looking at them. They don't look German at all. They lack that robust Cromag Cincinnati look and have round puffy Kentucky faces lol. They're not as heavily built either.

Cincinnati people look distinctive to me and Kentuckians look rather unassuming and bland. Sounds mean but I think it is true. Kentuckians are just not very distinctive looking. Not as bad as Indiana whon look distinctive but outside of Northern Indiana and Indianapolis they look just bad. No. Kentuckians just look...like people. Cincinnati people look unique and striking in features. Very Bavarian but with a definite Anglo Saxon undertone.

To me Cincinnati people look OFF in the South. I remember always running into Cincy people in Louisville and just being like WHOA this person looks out of place. Louisville people are kind of soft looking even when trashy lmao. They just look like mild mannered hipsters from the country. Cincinnati people on the other hand look like they could kick some serious ass if you mess with them. They're just built...German as hell. Louisville people seem rather just like short Irish types or at least the ones who get ****faced. Lot pudgier people in Louisville. Few more stereotype beta males. Cincinnati dudes you just respect by their demeanor and person. They come off Northern to me. And like East Coast a bit except they don't really look East Coast at all just very Midwestern hardass type.

I mean Cincinnati people are nice but the genuine kind of nice not the fake kind. Southerners are fake. But even tough guy Southerners would stand out in Cincinnati. The attitudes of Cincy seem to me more get out of my way please. Passive but the aggressive is definitely there. In other words Midwestern as hell. They don't even like sweet tea that much. They will drink it but can live without it.

Cincinnati is unique. But NOT the Southern kind of unique. It is uniquely Midwestern in attitude.
This whole post is ridiculous -.- Now people from certain cities and states have certain looks? Good grief.. Not like there's a shortage of German-Americans in Kentucky either. I also can't take anyone seriously when they use words like "beta males."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati