Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 01:15 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yes, uh, I don't think so. Klan huge in Indy? - I have to call BS on that.
Check your history....it's not currently of course.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...percentage.jpg

Last edited by Kamms; 09-05-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 01:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It's not Southern...in the same way that West Virginia isn't southern (and I'm almost iffy on Kentucky).

"Southern" to me is a blend of African, European and Native American culture. Most Midwest cities seem heavily influenced by Scandinavians and Central Europeans. The South's European influence is more heavily slanted towards British/Scottish culture with notable exceptions (Czech/Poles/Spanish in TX, French in Louisiana etc).

Black-eyed peas, peanuts, collard greens, okra (not fried), baked mac-n-cheese, gratuitous use of hot sauce that isn't Tabasco, hot links, catfish/buffalo fish, yams/sweet potatoes etc. Rice is also a big fault line. Jollof rice from West Africa and Jambalaya are pretty doggone close to being 'food cousins.' I don't think Midwestern cuisine puts a lot of emphasis on rice historically as that was more of a staple crop in tropical and subtropical regions.
Yeah but West Virginia has history and ties to the South. Cincinnati does not. It was never part of the South unlike WV. Everything else you say is true except your comparison to West Virginia. Cincinnati wasn't part of Virginia. Ohio was never Southern.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Bruh. Nobody cares of your negative opinions of Cincinnati. You don't know Southern culture. Cincinnati is conservative due to its heavily German population whom mostly vote Republican. The same thing happens in a lot of the Midwest. Cincinnati has no traits that are uniquely Southern that can't be found elsewhere like Columbus, Indy, or St. Louis.

It doesn't make these cities Southern. It makes Rem typical small cities inside flyover country. Nothing about Cincinnati is Southern except the transplants from KY.

And...no one cares that you think Cincinnati people don't sound like NYC people or Philly people. THIS IS YOUR OPINION and linguistic studies prove you wrong. So I am not even sure what you were trying to accomplish by this.

Cincinnati is about as Southern as Indy and St. Louis. Aka not Southern culturally but just with a conservative framework. None of these things are unique to the South but instead are seen in tons if small cities throughout the country. South Dakota has lots of features like this and please go tell them they are Southern lmao
Bruh...it's my opinion; you have lots of as well. Deal with it.

I do hear the Philly/NY accent on a daily basis and never heard the CIN twang in either of them. Just because some pointed-headed linguists that analyze this stuff say so, doesn't mean anyone hears it.

Like in Manhattan someone will ask '' are you from Brooklyn? No I'm from Norwood, OH''...lol.

As for your South Dakota comment, I wouldn't think it was ''southern-ish'' simply because its the Dakotas. Now, for CIN, a non-native may think this because of the pace and location: it borders Kentucky.

Last edited by Kamms; 09-05-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Bruh...it's my opinion, you like have lots of as well. Deal with it.

I do hear the Philly/NY accent on a daily basis and never heard the CIN twang in either of them. Just because some pointed-headed linguists that analyze this stuff say so, doesn't mean anyone hears it.

Like in Manhattan someone will ask '' are you from Brooklyn? No I'm from Norwood, OH''...lol.

As for your South Dakota comment, I wouldn't think it was ''southern-ish'' simply because its the Dakotas. Now, for CIN, a non-native may think this because of the pace and location: it borders Kentucky.
Ok so your argument is that it is Southern because it borders Kentucky, then you must not be familiar with enough of NKY at all. NKY is seen as the least Kentucky region of the whole state. More than Louisville even. Ohio influences that side of KY not the other way around.

And in this thread we have one guy from New England and also someone else noticing the accent similarities to the Northeast. That you don't hear then is really on you and doesn't change reality.

Here is one way to tell that Cincinnati isn't Southern: natives don't identify with the South at all. That should really be what matters most.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Ok so your argument is that it is Southern because it borders Kentucky, then you must not be familiar with enough of NKY at all. NKY is seen as the least Kentucky region of the whole state. More than Louisville even. Ohio influences that side of KY not the other way around.

And in this thread we have one guy from New England and also someone else noticing the accent similarities to the Northeast. That you don't hear then is really on you and doesn't change reality.

Here is one way to tell that Cincinnati isn't Southern: natives don't identify with the South at all. That should really be what matters most.
Again, bruh, it's opinion. Of course CIN natives don't think they are southern. It's transplants that might think so.

An accent I heard that I thought initially sounded ''Boston-ish'' was the Cajun accent.

It's because its Kentucky, not just northern Kentucky. I considered CIN to have a southern-ish vibe because of the pace, the accent, Kentucky, burned KKK cross on I-71, not because of the food or other southern culture. The vibe, pace, and KKK stuff around CIN reminded of southern-ish traits...deal with it.

A non-southern-ish facet of CIN was the fact that there were lots of Catholics, although CIN isn't like the old school Great Lakes industrial/Northeast ethnic cities.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Bruh. Nobody cares of your negative opinions of Cincinnati. You don't know Southern culture. Cincinnati is conservative due to its heavily German population whom mostly vote Republican. The same thing happens in a lot of the Midwest. Cincinnati has no traits that are uniquely Southern that can't be found elsewhere like Columbus, Indy, or St. Louis.

It doesn't make these cities Southern. It makes Rem typical small cities inside flyover country. Nothing about Cincinnati is Southern except the transplants from KY.

And...no one cares that you think Cincinnati people don't sound like NYC people or Philly people. THIS IS YOUR OPINION and linguistic studies prove you wrong. So I am not even sure what you were trying to accomplish by this.

Cincinnati is about as Southern as Indy and St. Louis. Aka not Southern culturally but just with a conservative framework. None of these things are unique to the South but instead are seen in tons if small cities throughout the country. South Dakota has lots of features like this and please go tell them they are Southern lmao
Btw, why is my statement that CIN was ''southern-ish'' to me a negative statement?

Old 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Again, bruh, it's opinion. Of course CIN natives don't think they are southern. It's transplants that might think so.

An accent I heard that I thought initially sounded ''Boston-ish'' was the Cajun accent.

It's because its Kentucky, not just northern Kentucky. I considered CIN to have a southern-ish vibe because of the pace, the accent, Kentucky, burned KKK cross on I-71, not because of the food or other southern culture. The vibe, pace, and KKK stuff around CIN reminded of southern-ish traits...deal with it.

A non-southern-ish facet of CIN was the fact that there were lots of Catholics, although CIN isn't like the old school Great Lakes industrial/Northeast ethnic cities.
So you're just not familiar with the Midwest culture and pace. None of the things you list are limited to Cincinnati and extend much further North.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Btw, why is my statement that CIN was ''southern-ish'' to me a negative statement?
Because your reasons for Cincinnati being Southernish are all negative traits.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Dude. None of this is Southern. You don't know Midwest culture. All of these things are seen across the Heartland. Southern isn't conservative politics. It is a combo of history, music, language, ethnicity, food, and attitude. Cincinnati passes the test of being seen as some podunk town with ignorant people. What it doesn't pass as is an actual Southern city. The culture is conservative but for different reasons than the South.
Well, many consider Christian fundamentalists as a southern thing.

Btw, some describe Washington DC as quasi-southern as well. Some describe southern cities as you describe CIN: podunk towns with ignorant people.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:49 PM

800 posts, read 950,919 times
Quote:
I thought Cincinnati was quasi-south when I lived there.

Well you were wrong.

I grew up in Cincinnati and went to college in the South. It was crazy. Much more of an adjustment than living in the Northeast and the other parts of the Midwest where I have lived.

Later I worked an offshore job in the Gulf of Mexico. Almost everyone else was from Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas. I had to eat their cooking (turkey necks, etc.) and tolerate their conversation topics. Again, totally different world than Cincinnati.

Of all things, the one thing that will always keep Cincinnati from being "southern" is that there is no state pride in Ohio. Most Cincinnatians consider their situation in the state of Ohio to be an incidental detail. In the South, people identify with their particular state much more than their particular locality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati