Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:58 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It's not Southern...in the same way that West Virginia isn't southern (and I'm almost iffy on Kentucky).

"Southern" to me is a blend of African, European and Native American culture. Most Midwest cities seem heavily influenced by Scandinavians and Central Europeans. The South's European influence is more heavily slanted towards British/Scottish culture with notable exceptions (Czech/Poles/Spanish in TX, French in Louisiana etc).

Black-eyed peas, peanuts, collard greens, okra (not fried), baked mac-n-cheese, gratuitous use of hot sauce that isn't Tabasco, hot links, catfish/buffalo fish, yams/sweet potatoes etc. Rice is also a big fault line. Jollof rice from West Africa and Jambalaya are pretty doggone close to being 'food cousins.' I don't think Midwestern cuisine puts a lot of emphasis on rice historically as that was more of a staple crop in tropical and subtropical regions.
I used the term ''quasi-southern'' regarding CIN, a city that borders Kentucky. Kentucky to you is southern in an ''iffy'' way. CIN is in a geographical transition area between the Midwest and the south; how could there not be southern-ish qualities? Why is this supposed to be a ''negative'' to some people?

Old 09-05-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Because your reasons for Cincinnati being Southernish are all negative traits.
and you describing CIN as being a podunk town full of ignorant people are positive traits?

Old 09-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So you're just not familiar with the Midwest culture and pace. None of the things you list are limited to Cincinnati and extend much further North.
but CIN is adjacent to Kentucky, a southern state. Sorry.

Same with Louisville, Evansville, IN, Cairo IL

I mean if one is in Grand Rapids, MI, for example, no one is thinking ''southern-ish''. Sorry.

Same with Milwaukee, WI, on Lake Michigan.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Come on. Kentucky did not join the Confederacy and had far fewer slaves than the "Deep South". There were no plantations and no plantation culture. States like South Carolina were majority black. Kentucky peaked around 20%.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Well you were wrong.

I grew up in Cincinnati and went to college in the South. It was crazy. Much more of an adjustment than living in the Northeast and the other parts of the Midwest where I have lived.

Later I worked an offshore job in the Gulf of Mexico. Almost everyone else was from Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas. I had to eat their cooking (turkey necks, etc.) and tolerate their conversation topics. Again, totally different world than Cincinnati.

Of all things, the one thing that will always keep Cincinnati from being "southern" is that there is no state pride in Ohio. Most Cincinnatians consider their situation in the state of Ohio to be an incidental detail. In the South, people identify with their particular state much more than their particular locality.
Well, I'm not wrong. CIN is as close to a southern experience as I needed. Thank you.

CIN is a nice city though.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Come on. Kentucky did not join the Confederacy and had far fewer slaves than the "Deep South". There were no plantations and no plantation culture. States like South Carolina were majority black. Kentucky peaked around 20%.
OK, so now you differentiate Kentucky as not being ''deep south'' which means its ''south''. Again, CIN actually borders a southern state then; how can there be no southern-ish qualities in CIN?

This is pretty funny as the CIN folks freak out about this association; ''the south'' is right there given your statements.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:27 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yes, uh, I don't think so. Klan huge in Indy? - I have to call BS on that.
Just moved from Indy a month ago, can confirm. It's where the Klan was founded.

Indiana's a whole different culture than Ohio... weird to think but it's true.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
OK, so now you differentiate Kentucky as not being ''deep south'' which means its ''south''. Again, CIN actually borders a southern state then; how can there be no southern-ish qualities in CIN?

This is pretty funny as the CIN folks freak out about this association; ''the south'' is right there given your statements.
Actually Jake is accurate, there's definitely a difference between the mid-south and deep south. Someone from Paducah probably has a lot more in common with someone from Lima, OH than Tupelo, MS. It's a whole different outlook and perspective.

"Deep South" places like Georgia around Atlanta have been distilled by all the transplants, but don't be fooled - there are distinct differences between the swampier, hotter Deep South and the hillier, less fertile Appalachian Mid-South.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Actually Jake is accurate, there's definitely a difference between the mid-south and deep south. Someone from Paducah probably has a lot more in common with someone from Lima, OH than Tupelo, MS. It's a whole different outlook and perspective.

"Deep South" places like Georgia around Atlanta have been distilled by all the transplants, but don't be fooled - there are distinct differences between the swampier, hotter Deep South and the hillier, less fertile Appalachian Mid-South.
Understood, but Lima OH does not border ''the south''. There are of course differences between the deep south, mid south or whatever else, but it's all the south, nonetheless.

The Midwest can be described the same; there's eastern Midwest Ohio, then there's deep, central time zone Illinois and Iowa for example. All Midwest, yet each a bit different.

Actually, any region can be described this way. CIN happens to be in a transition area from the Midwest to the South. This fact, for some reason, rubs some people the wrong way.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:21 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Come on. Kentucky was a slave state but it did not join the Confederacy. I already mentioned that and that relatively few slaves lived anywhere in the state. Very few lived in Northern Kentucky. That should be a huge signal that Kentucky was not culturally or economically aligned with the states that did secede.

Similarly, eastern Tennessee has a totally different culture than the deep south. Zero plantations in the hilly/mountainous east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati