Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Just curious. I don't think the accent of the majority in Cincinnati is southern. Midwestern really.

Not sure why you are digging up a thread that is many years old though.
Someone from the Pittsburgh forum linked to it. Anyway you replied so you're in essence helping revive the thread.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:32 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Neither for or against it. Just wondered why this thread was suddenly revived.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:11 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times
A true Cincinnati accent spoken by an old timer would not sound out of place on the east coast. The non rhoticity of a true Cincinnati dialect especially stands out in that when I hear the speech of some old timers from here I ask them are they originally from Cincinnati just to make sure they're not some transplant from the east coast.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:41 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
A true Cincinnati accent spoken by an old timer would not sound out of place on the east coast. The non rhoticity of a true Cincinnati dialect especially stands out in that when I hear the speech of some old timers from here I ask them are they originally from Cincinnati just to make sure they're not some transplant from the east coast.
I remember we had a couple of people from the Cincinnati area in my high school in CT. Until they told me where they were from I simply thought they were from another part of the state. I had a friend from KY also at that time and it was obvious he had a bit of a southern accent.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:47 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
Being a southerner, I'm very inclined to say no but I'll ask these anecdotal questions anyway:

How much snow does it take to cancel school?

Is sweet tea readily available in Cincinnati? Many/Most restaurants should carry it if it were truly southern in culture.

What about RC, Cheerwine, or Duke's Mayonnaise?

Are BBQs and cookouts the same thing? What about 'Pig Pickins'

Is Waffle House a common sight?

Do you see Baptist Churches frequently?

Are summers there Hot & Humid?

How often do you hear these terms:
'Bless your Heart'
'Fixin' (both as a term for sides, and as a replacement for I'm going to)
'If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"
Using the word buggy to refer to a shopping cart.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:26 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Cincinnati is not the south. Next question.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:13 AM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Being a southerner, I'm very inclined to say no but I'll ask these anecdotal questions anyway:

Depends, usually we cancel for ice or if it will snow during drop off or pick up.

Is sweet tea readily available in Cincinnati? Many/Most restaurants should carry it if it were truly southern in culture.

Sadly, there's not much sweet tea.

Yes, RC and Dukes (thank goodness) but no Cheerwine thatI've ever seen.

Not the same to me.... I will be annoyed if you invite me to a BBQ and only have burgers & hotdogs! No Pig Pickin' that I know of.

We have them but they aren't that common.

Yes but not with the same ferocity as the South.

OMG, melting.

'Bless your Heart'
Sometimes, hopefully never directed my way!

Usually combines with "round to it"

Way too often!

Never- that's really Southern.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

The same as in the Mid Atlantic

Some carry it. Some do not.

Is RC Royal Crown? Because they have that up in Chicago. Cheerwine is sometimes available. But I think you have to cross into Kentucky for that one. Never heard of Duke's.

People don't really use the terms "cookout" or "big pickins" here

About as common as Indiana

As frequently as Catholic ones. And Baptist culture isn't dominant.

Yes. And winters are brutally cold with temps sometimes dipping to the negatives. Midwestern extremes as opposed to a more overall mild yearly climate. Even the snowfall difference between here and other Southern cities is marked. The only two "Southern" cities with similar snowfall are Baltimore and DC and their winters aren't as cold.

Cincinnati has a climate most similar to Philadelphia.

'Bless your Heart'

Rarely do these terms get used here. In the Miami Valley (north of the city and south of Dayton) some do use 'Bless your heart' and they have ties to Kentucky and West Virginia usually. People with roots here don't talk like that at all.
So as you can see, I would say Cincinnati is culturally what it is geographically: a Lower Midwest city

Old 09-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
I didn't ever meet anyone here who spoke non rhotically. However the native accent here is reminiscent of speech from New York to Philly. Cincinnati shares a "split short A" system with these two cities. So a word like "gas" would have a tensed short A (raised quality where it sound like "geeas") and the word "gap" would have a "lax short A" and would share the same vowel quality as the rest of the US. Cincinnati is the only city of the interior to use this. The other is New Orleans and their accent sounds NYC like as well

Old 09-05-2017, 10:26 AM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
While not southern, Cincinnati does have a significant Appalachian component which is no surprise given the historical migration patterns to the city. Also, Clermont County is an ARC-designated Appalachian county so Appalachia is literally on the city's doorstep. I think if people bring up Cincinnati and "southern" they are really thinking "appalachian" and Appalachian≠Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati