Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
After scouring their web site, I see no reference to international fare which was what I was addressing. I could have missed it, but as you know , jj is famous for their international offerings. Otherwise, I prefer Hyde Park Kroger.
Good point. They definitely have a pretty wide variety of international foods. And their prices are not bad on most of their items at least when I was there six months ago.

On my first trip years ago, I thought that it was very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Glad you found one of Greater Cincinnati's treasures, Zachj7! There is plenty for you to enjoy here! We love Jungle Jim's, too. But our favorite food shopping is Dorothy Lane Market, a 3-store local chain up here in Southern Montgomery Co. While not quite the selection of international foods theat Jungle Jim's has, they are definitely a good source for the ingredients that we (er, my wife...) use to make some awesome meals. And their customer service is better than any that we've experienced anywhere in the world!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Glad you found one of Greater Cincinnati's treasures, Zachj7! There is plenty for you to enjoy here! We love Jungle Jim's, too. But our favorite food shopping is Dorothy Lane Market, a 3-store local chain up here in Southern Montgomery Co. While not quite the selection of international foods theat Jungle Jim's has, they are definitely a good source for the ingredients that we (er, my wife...) use to make some awesome meals. And their customer service is better than any that we've experienced anywhere in the world!
The owners (at DLM) are always in the front of the house answering questions and interacting with the customers.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Where exactly is Jungle Jim's? Findlay Market? Curious as I would like to go there on my next visit to Cincy.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
I know Findlay Market is in downtown Cincinnati, but Jungle Jim's is in Fairfield, a city north of Cincinnati. http://www.junglejims.com/about/directions.asp Click on the Directions Map PDF file to see a map.

BTW, I saw them on a show recently called Extreme Superstores. I think it was the Travel Channel. It's considered one of the country's largest supermarkets and has a monorail that runs around the property.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
They bought that monorail from either Kings Island or the Zoo probably 10 years ago and just started putting it up in the last year or two.

It isn't finished yet. Right now it just goes from the storage shed to the main station. They have one of the monorail cars parked on a section of track near the road (Route 4) to catch people's attention, but I have never seen it run.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
They showed it running on that show I watched. Maybe they only run it on certain days when the store is busy?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Thanks for the info, insight.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
From what I can tell, Cleveland's West Side Market and Detroit's Eastern Market are more akin to Findlay Market in Cincinnati. These all have their attractions, definitely service a need, and should be appreciated. But Jungle Jim's NO they are not.

I congradulate the original OP for recognizing something quite unique and commenting on it. Like our architecture, Cincinnati needs to capitalize on anything which sets it apart.
The West Side Market is a true marketplace where multiple vendors compete. Jungle Jim's a basically a big box store with a good selection. They're completely different. Food-wise, I would venture to guess (through experience) that one could find most, if not all, they were looking for at the WSM when compared to JJ's. Possibly, even more. The vendors at the WSM make very good use of their space.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The West Side Market is a true marketplace where multiple vendors compete. Jungle Jim's a basically a big box store with a good selection. They're completely different.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Food-wise, I would venture to guess (through experience) that one could find most, if not all, they were looking for at the WSM when compared to JJ's. Possibly, even more. The vendors at the WSM make very good use of their space.
Nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati