Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
A more fair comparison would be West Side Market vs. Findlay Market, and WSM being bigger would win. But Findlay Market is the same sort of century-old urban indoor/outdoor market and a lot of what people in Cleveland go to WSM for people in Cincinnati go to FM for. They're both amazing market experiences.

But comparing either to Jungle Jim's just isn't fair. Even combined, WSM and FM can't touch JJs.
As much as I like Findlay Market, WSM not only wins because it is bigger and more diverse, it is in a really charming building. I think the City has really dropped the ball with Findlay Market. A couple of millions spent on Findlay Market would have been a far better investment than other things the City has chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Are there a lot of out-of-state plates there? I would assume Indiana and Kentucky, but anywhere else?
I have seen tour buses there from as far away as Utah.

It does have a certain tourist element, but it is all about the food. The selection is unbelievable.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I have seen tour buses there from as far away as Utah.

It does have a certain tourist element, but it is all about the food. The selection is unbelievable.
I am trying to get down to Cincinnati, you guys truly live in one of America's best towns. This place is in Fairfield, right? How far would that be from the Cincy CBD?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I am trying to get down to Cincinnati, you guys truly live in one of America's best towns. This place is in Fairfield, right? How far would that be from the Cincy CBD?
It takes about 30 minutes to get up there except at afternoon rush hour, then about 45.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

75 posts, read 175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
As much as I like Findlay Market, WSM not only wins because it is bigger and more diverse, it is in a really charming building. I think the City has really dropped the ball with Findlay Market. A couple of millions spent on Findlay Market would have been a far better investment than other things the City has chosen.

Couldn't agree more. If some of those buildings around the market were rehabbed and turned into apartments or condos, that area could spark the resurgence of OTR north of Liberty. As it is, the place can feel abandoned at points. 3CDC really needs to make this area a priority once they finish on Vine and the Washington Park area.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Now there's an acquired taste!
And if this country didn't have so many friggin' LAWYERS, we could import "Kinder Eggs" from Germany. Kinder Eggs have small plastic toys inside (just like Cracker Jacks had before the LAWYERS went berserk...)

Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
And if this country didn't have so many friggin' LAWYERS, we could import "Kinder Eggs" from Germany. Kinder Eggs have small plastic toys inside (just like Cracker Jacks had before the LAWYERS went berserk...)

I'm guessing that there might have been a lawsuit back in the days before Cracker Jack put their crummy toys in a little paper sleeve. But, if you are looking for the reason that we don't have a lot of the products from other countries, I think you will find that there are lobbyists in Washington that are paid by US producers to cause the FDA, USDA, etc. to restrict what can be sold. In the case you described, probably some claim of a safety violation.

And, for every one of those "friggin lawyers" who you hate so much, there is another one who is protecting you from consequences of the avaricious plaintiffs bar. In fact, I assume you know that the DemoRat party has as its centerpiece of policy to protect the plaintiffs' lawyers from restrictions on astronomical awards in plaintiffs cases, including medical mistake, products liability, and transportation awards. In fact, the poster child for all lawsuit abuse was a 2008 DemoRat Presidential candidate, John Edwards. He personally cost public and charitable hospitals hundreds of millions of dollars by asserting in courts a now completely debunked theory that delays in C Section deliveries caused a serious disorder in children.

So your complaints are actually political complaints which do have a solution. Vote for your local Tea Party endorsed candidate.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
Couldn't agree more. If some of those buildings around the market were rehabbed and turned into apartments or condos, that area could spark the resurgence of OTR north of Liberty. As it is, the place can feel abandoned at points. 3CDC really needs to make this area a priority once they finish on Vine and the Washington Park area.
Give it time, I really like what is happening down there.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
Whoa. I didn't realize I opened a can of worms! Somebody stated that Jungle Jims is a tourist trap. out of the 10 or so times I have been to Cincinnati, I was surprised that I hadn't ever been there. when arriving, yes it looks like a tourist trap. some of the artwork is kind of steorotypical yet all in good fun, but it's the amount of food they have there! The vast and suprerior collection of food around the world ALL in one store really surprised me. It felt like an Italian shop, German grocery store, Mexican grocery store, Chinese grocery, Korean, japanese, and so on store ALL rolled into ONE huge giant store. Their produce is quite something also. Back in the bay area, you can find all of what they have BUT not in one single store. That is what amazed me. I hope that you take friends and family who visit here, it truly is a gem. I can't speak for the market in Cleaveland, but this foodie is pretty impressed. I always had the idea that Cincinnati wasn't a whole lot, but having JJ's is quite something and I enjoyed the rest of the city.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
I am visiting Cincinnati, and my godparents took me Jungle Jims and I must say, even being the big foodie and growing up in the bay area, I am very impressed. I couldn't believe all the food they had all in one place! I never would have thought that Cincinnati of all places would have this wonderful superduper market. I have never seen anything quite like this. Is there another place similar to this in the rest of the United States?

We have a place back in the bay area called ranch 99 but it specializes in different asian foods. Jungle Jims has most of it and then a whole lot more! I would have to go from place to place to find all that in the bay area.

I just want to let you know that this visitor is very very very impressed and I hope that if anybody visits you from out of town, take them there!
It is pretty amazing. My first wife was Indonesian. Finding ethnic food stuffs nearly drove her nuts.

Jungle Jim's was the solution for all of that.

It's the best, hands down. And not just in Cincinnati either.

It puts the offerings of much larger cities to shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati