Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
They showed it running on that show I watched. Maybe they only run it on certain days when the store is busy?
They probably only run it for special events and just to show it off. Even if the store was busy though, it wouldn't do anything.

There is a main elevated station at the front of the store, and the track leads straight to the back of the property to the barn where the cars are stored.

The station is really cool though, and is used as a party deck most of the time.

There are some supports up without any track on them, so I know they are probably going to extend it and make it useful somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
. Food-wise, I would venture to guess (through experience) that one could find most, if not all, they were looking for at the WSM when compared to JJ's. Possibly, even more. The vendors at the WSM make very good use of their space.
No way, not even close. JJ has a lot more ethnic foods than does the WSM.

The WSM does have some Hungarian and Russian sausages that JJ does not. However, JJs has a LOT MORE packaged goods from Asia and around the world and a lot better seafood selection.

Now I can think of several places in the Midwest that have a deeper line up of Asian products than JJ does (H-Mart and Mitsuwa Marketplace come to mind) but few have the total across the board selection as JJ.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post

Nonsense.
Besides alcohol and cigars, what does JJ's have that the WSM does not?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Besides alcohol and cigars, what does JJ's have that the WSM does not?
Well, one of the best things about Cleveland is how passionate Clevelanders are about Cleveland being the best at whatever is being discussed today.

Let's just say that Jim Bonaminio is a pretty smart guy. So if you look around his place, you don't see a lot of wasted space. And, unlike WSM, he does not have three poultry booths selling the same stuff and ten deli selling the same stuff and ten etc. etc. And at 285,000 square feet most of which is not wasted space, I don't think we need to go through specifics of what items he might have that you won't find at WSM which, most charitably can be estimated at about 15% of that size.

Look, we have a market like WSM only about half the size, called Findlay Market. Its the oldest in Ohio and has very eclectic stuff. One deli has 85 different sausages. We understand that type of multi vendor market. I like Findlay Market. I would probably love WSM. But you are dreaming if you think that the best International food market in the US has less stuff than WSM. But, if you want to believe that, then great.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
They bought that monorail from either Kings Island or the Zoo probably 10 years ago and just started putting it up in the last year or two.

It isn't finished yet. Right now it just goes from the storage shed to the main station. They have one of the monorail cars parked on a section of track near the road (Route 4) to catch people's attention, but I have never seen it run.
Whenever I see that I don't know whether to be amused or appalled. (LOL) A grocery store so huge that you need to ride a shuttle train to get around?
My family lived in Japan for a while (thanks, P & G!) So my folks love seeing an abundance of produce unique to that country at Jungle Jim's instead of having the choices stop at soy sauce, tofu, and ramen noodles the way they do at most other supermarkets.
As for me, I've called Massachusetts home for decades. There are neat little "ethnic" markets galore here, as well as an H-Mart in the suburbs, but there's nothing comparable to Jungle Jim's (even without the monorail.)

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
you are dreaming if you think that the best International food market in the US has less stuff than WSM. But, if you want to believe that, then great.
Well, one of the best things about Cincinnati is how passionate Cincinnatians are about Cincinnati being the best at whatever is being discussed today.

JJ has a great store, but the best in the country, no way.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Sounds like there is quite a rivalry between Cleveland and Cincinnati. As far as I'm concerned, it's all relative.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Well, one of the best things about Cleveland is how passionate Clevelanders are about Cleveland being the best at whatever is being discussed today.

Let's just say that Jim Bonaminio is a pretty smart guy. So if you look around his place, you don't see a lot of wasted space. And, unlike WSM, he does not have three poultry booths selling the same stuff and ten deli selling the same stuff and ten etc. etc. And at 285,000 square feet most of which is not wasted space, I don't think we need to go through specifics of what items he might have that you won't find at WSM which, most charitably can be estimated at about 15% of that size.

Look, we have a market like WSM only about half the size, called Findlay Market. Its the oldest in Ohio and has very eclectic stuff. One deli has 85 different sausages. We understand that type of multi vendor market. I like Findlay Market. I would probably love WSM. But you are dreaming if you think that the best International food market in the US has less stuff than WSM. But, if you want to believe that, then great.
Ah, get off it...

I've been to JJ's a few times and I like it fine, in concept. I just don't see that it has all that much more to offer than the WSM. It's a large, expensive, international grocery store with a cooking school and commercial restaurants in it. And, while JJ's may have more "stuff" I don't believe that it, outside of cigars and alcohol, offers considerably more selection. It may have more of it, but the variety is similar. Also, the major drawback to JJ's is its almost "theme park" type feel. It's quite impersonal. Also, the WSM doesn't have 10 of anything. At most, it has 2-3 like stands of any variety and they each usually have a unique specialty.

As for the size...let's just say that Super Wal-Mart is huge also.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
West Side Market truly is awesome, I don't see how anyone can really find anything bad about the place. But I am really interested in this JJ place.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM

It's definitely worth going to, if you're in the area. It has a lot of stuff. My point is that I don't think the variety is overwhelmingly better than the WSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati