Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 07:33 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
HOWEVER

The Underground Railroad Freedom Center is a real gem, but it is really the only major cultural amenity downtown (unless I missed something)...
You didn't miss a thing, my friend! The Freedom Center is truly the crown jewel of Cincinnati--not only is it the epicenter of the city's urban redevelopment, but it's also the heart of Cincinnati's tortured past, troubled present, and problematic future. As you've discovered, 'da slave hut is our cultural centerpiece and it says absolutely everything about who we really are. Tell your friends.

Last edited by motorman; 06-09-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM

324 posts, read 402,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You're not helping. I have no doubt that there are a few people out there who resent Columbus because of its relative success compared to Ohio's other major cities, but overall, I think the picture is much more complicated than that.
I am not trying to help anyone!! I'm just stating the obvious. People from Cleveland and Cincy are jealous of Columbus. If you don't believe me, just read their posts! The bottom line is that Columbus is the only prosperous city in the state. It's the only shining star, while Cleveland, Cincy and the other Ohio big cities are failures!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 AM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
>It is no secret both Cincinnati and Cleveland lost population over a span of years, while Columbus gained

Old man, we've explained it to you before, but you can't get it through your head: Columbus has a combined city/county government. This means much of the "city" gain in population is actually just people moving from central areas of Columbus into new sprawl that is still in Columbus. It's like if your beloved Mason was in Cincinnati city limits.

>There will be debate after debate over why people elected to leave the city. But the fact is they did

Hmmm....what about the 100,000+ (fully 20% of the peak population) who were booted out of Cincinnati for road and redevelopment projects? I mean, 50,000 or 1 out of 10 residents had their homes demolished for interstate highways and the Queensgate project.

Then, there's the pesky issue of birth control and abortion. The average family size plummeted within a generation, meaning there are often just 2 or 3 people living in residences that once had 4-8.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Then, there's the pesky issue of birth control and abortion. The average family size plummeted within a generation, meaning there are often just 2 or 3 people living in residences that once had 4-8.
This one is really laughable. If birth control and abortion are a significant cause of Cincinnati's population loss, then why has the Metro area not seen a corresponding decrease? I guess all of those families living out there in suburbia have a different standard? It is a well known fact low-income families have a higher percentage of children. If this is the best you can do you are really reaching at straws.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
I am not trying to help anyone!! I'm just stating the obvious. People from Cleveland and Cincy are jealous of Columbus. If you don't believe me, just read their posts! The bottom line is that Columbus is the only prosperous city in the state. It's the only shining star, while Cleveland, Cincy and the other Ohio big cities are failures!!!
(...hey, fellas, I'd like to introduce this guy to reality--but not only is this dude not on the same page, he's not even in the same book as the rest of us. Next thing he'll be telling us is that Columbus is Ohio's most international city, rather than realizing what it really is...an expanding Somali refugee camp on the Scioto. Poor fellow... )

Last edited by motorman; 06-09-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
The bottom line is that Columbus is the only prosperous city in the state.
That's why Cincinnati is outpacing Columbus in job creation.Cincy is #17 nationwide while Columbus is #28.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM

^ Like I said, TomJones123--'dat cat ain't even in the same book as the rest of us and reality doesn't seem to be his strong suit...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Quote:
I came to the Cincinnati forum to see what was here after enduring my second 10-day stint in two years in downtown Cincinnati. I stayed at the Millennium and was working in the convention center. Here is my take as a tourist:

1. The hotels in the downtown area are very disappointing. They are very dated and tired. I am astonished that the Terrace Hotel building is/has been closed for some time. It doesn't help the image of the area.

2. Many of the buildings that were closed/for rent last year are still on the market this year. The word "stagnant" comes to mind.

3. The city is trying to lure people downtown with concerts in Fountain Square, but NOBODY comes out to enjoy them.

4. The downtown area closes up early and all the workers seem to flee the area. There is no vibrant cluster of restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. Many cities have great areas downtown (San Diego/Gaslamp Dist., Denver/LoDo, San Francisco/Fisherman's Wharf, Baltimore/Inner Harbor, etc) that cater to the tourists and the workers. Best area I found was Newport.

HOWEVER

The Underground Railroad Freedom Center is a real gem, but it is really the only major cultural amenity downtown (unless I missed something).

The city has some awesome older buildings that are begging to be restored.

The German food is great (ate at the Hoffbrau House), but ditch the Skyline Chili spaghetti crap.

That's all for now.
How long ago did you go downtown? I don't live in Cincy anymore, but when visiting family, I've seen a very impressive change from when I've left. Now maybe its because of lowered expectations, but things are totally going in the right direction.

As to the neighborhoods with nightlife districts, check out the area on 6th street for all the bros, OTR on Main and Vine for more of a yuppie/hipster mix (though its changing so fast I'm not sure if that applies) and good restaurants particularly on Vine. Even the Banks is starting to come online for a more suburban/family oriented crowd. Is it underdeveloped compared to a lot of cities that aren't in regions that are complete economic disasters, yes it is - but that doesn't mean there is NOTHING around.

What was the temperature too? I've yet to see a concert on Fountain Square (though I'm usually watching the MPMF indie series) that wasn't pretty packed - I'll usually go out of my way when I'm down there to see what's going on on Fountain Square - mainly because I'm happy to see so much activity in an area that has so much potential to be amazing.

Your also missing the Contemporary art center, the aranoff and the taft museum when it comes to cultural amenities. Add the aquarium if your including Newport (which IMO is the 2nd nicest I've been to after the Monterrey Bay one) Not bad for a city its size.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:55 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>It is no secret both Cincinnati and Cleveland lost population over a span of years, while Columbus gained

Old man, we've explained it to you before, but you can't get it through your head: Columbus has a combined city/county government. This means much of the "city" gain in population is actually just people moving from central areas of Columbus into new sprawl that is still in Columbus. It's like if your beloved Mason was in Cincinnati city limits.
You might want to verify that "fact". I do believe that the government of the City of Columbus and the County of Franklin are separate entities.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
You might want to verify that "fact". I do believe that the government of the City of Columbus and the County of Franklin are separate entities.
It is much easier to critize someone else's stupidity than to confirm your own facts.

Franklin County is indeed separate. It covers 543 sq. miles and has a total population of 1,165,897.

The City of Columbus covers 213 sq. miles and has a population of 787,033. So Columbus has only 30% if the area of the county but 67% of the population.

In comparison, Hamilton County has an area of 413 sq miles and a population of 802,252. In comparing area to population, Franklin County is more densely populated, but must most of it is concentrated in Columbus.

The City if Cincinnati covers 80 sq miles and has a population of 296,943. In comparing area to population, Cincinnati is slightly more densely populated than Columbus.

At some 2-2/3 times the area, I think it is easy to see why Columbus is the larger city in population. I have not gone back to inspect historical records, but I doubt Columbus started out that large. There must have been a whole lot of annexation going on, and for all I know is still going on. Maybe it is the sheer size of Columbus which gives the impression it is synonymous with Franklin County, but it is not.

So naturally I just have to throw Cleveland in here.
Cuyahoga County is huge at 1,246 sq. miles and a population of 1,278,208.
The City of Cleveland is 82 sq. miles and population of 396,815.

It is interesting Cincinnati and Cleveland are virtually the same size in area. And their historical founding is close at 1788 and 1796 respectively.

When you look at the size of Cuyahoga County, it is sparsely populated. Does anyone have a reason for this?

Just looking at the areas of the three cities, it is rediculous to compare them by city population only. The only reasonable comparison is their entire Metro area.

Last edited by kjbrill; 06-10-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati