Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Are you serious? Cinci's stadiums are perfectly situated right on the river..and close to the huge parking garages that house the downtown workers so there's never a shortage of parking for sporting events....putting them out by 275 would have been a huge bore and this is coming from a guy who lives within 5 miles of 275.

Chicago's baseball and football stadiums while not in the central business district are in very urban areas close to downtown.....and everyone laughs where the Giants' stadium's located in NJ. Both the Mets and Yankees' stadiums are in very urban areas and Madison Square Garden is in Manhattan.

Isn't Miller Park located very close to downtown? My boss works right on the lake and she's remarked several times, how close Miller Park is to her downtown office. Just because it's not right smack in the center of downtown, doesn't mean Miller Park is not considered part of the urban core.
The stadium location is one of the best things about Cincinnati!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The stadium location is one of the best things about Cincinnati!
I have to agree. Especially considering downtown is "roped" off by the darned interstates. So having the stadiums on otherwise unused land between the 75/71 and the river fits well with the region. Now we have The Banks and Smale Park and all that brings. It's a perfect location for those who do not live downtown and it's easy access to those who walk or catch the bus to events. Last I was at The Banks, which is right next to GABP, I took the bus to and fro. Short walk from Government Square and you are right there.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Wrong. Madison Square Garden host the Knicks and Rangers as well as boxing.
He went a little too broadly by referencing all of Manhattan. Penn Station isn't downtown.

Neither is Soldier Field or Chicago Stadium, by the way.

The Polo Grounds were in Manhattan.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
He went a little too broadly by referencing all of Manhattan. Penn Station isn't downtown.

Neither is Soldier Field or Chicago Stadium, by the way.

The Polo Grounds were in Manhattan.
MSG is in midtown, which has way more going on than downtown and is in the heart of the city. It doesn't get any more urban than that.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM

800 posts, read 951,721 times
Greg Henry, I have heard people ask the high school question everywhere I've lived, and if you don't think that's true, then you haven't been out there as much as you're putting on here. Or maybe you don't like the conversation because you don't make friends easily and that's revelead when you don't know any of the people they know from said high school or neighborhood.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM

603 posts, read 946,373 times
Quote:
Neither is Soldier Field..
Splitting hairs. Soldier Field is pretty much downtown. It's barely 2 blocks from the loop.

If Soldier Field isn't downtown, then I suppose GABP and PBS aren't either.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 AM

@GregHenry - BTW - Assuming that NYC has a strictly defined downtown like other smaller cities is not accurate, especially concerning Manhattan.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
Splitting hairs. Soldier Field is pretty much downtown. It's barely 2 blocks from the loop.

If Soldier Field isn't downtown, then I suppose GABP and PBS aren't either.
Soldier Field is 1.7 miles from the closest spot on the Loop.

Not Downtown.

Quote:
MSG is in midtown, which has way more going on than downtown and is in the heart of the city. It doesn't get any more urban than that.
All of NYC is urban. "Urban" ⊬ "Downtown."

Last edited by GregHenry; 06-01-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Soldier Field is 1.7 miles from the closest spot on the Loop.

Not Downtown.
I don't know Chicago that well, but looking at SF on google maps sure seems downtown, or close enough to not matter.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
I don't know Chicago that well, but looking at SF on google maps sure seems downtown, or close enough to not matter.
I spent quite a bit of time in Chicago and I certainly consider SF downtown, as you never get out of town before you get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati