Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I have never been asked what high school I went to, no matter where I lived. Now take note that I have never been asked that in Cincinnati either. I am in the inner city though and wonder if such questions are not reserved for snootier parts of town and/or outlying suburbs. Either way, if that particular question is as common as these forum boards say then it goes a long way in revealing some hidden small town tendencies.

???

I recently found out one of my neighbors used to live in Cincinnati just like me. We asked each other where we went to high school. Is that a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I spent quite a bit of time in Chicago and I certainly consider SF downtown, as you never get out of town before you get there.
I never get out of urban areas before I reach Dyche Stadium or the Rosemont Horizon, but they're not downtown.

Just because it's urban and congested doesn't make it "downtown."

Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM

603 posts, read 946,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Soldier Field is 1.7 miles from the closest spot on the Loop.

Not Downtown.
I'm not talking about the L. I'm talking about the Loop. That's the area inside the river down to Roosevelt.

Chicago is a great city. You should really visit it sometime.

Here's a good photo so you know where it is.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Greg Henry, I have heard people ask the high school question everywhere I've lived, and if you don't think that's true, then you haven't been out there as much as you're putting on here. Or maybe you don't like the conversation because you don't make friends easily and that's revelead when you don't know any of the people they know from said high school or neighborhood.
1. What good would asking someone their high school do me?

2. What good would asking someone their high school do me when I can't name a single high school in most cities I'm in?

3. What good would asking someone their high school do me when I can't name a single high school in most cities I'm in and I'm in a metro area with a few hundred high schools?

4. What good would asking someone their high school do me when I can't name a single high school in most cities I'm in that asking their part of town wouldn't also do?

5. Who could possibly memorize all the hundreds of high schools in any major city?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
I'm not talking about the L. I'm talking about the Loop.
AWESOME!

JUST AWESOME!

I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOW THIS POST TO EVERYONE!

YOU ARE NOW GOING TO BE THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION FOR YEARS TO COME.

THANK YOU!

"I'm not talking about a Ford Pinto. I'm talking about a small two-door Ford made in the 70's that had gas tank problems."

Quote:
Here's a good photo so you know where it is.
Oooh, fun with telephoto flattening.

That mountain is 40 miles behind the skyline.

Last edited by GregHenry; 06-01-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
No. It's crowded, cramped and a pain. It's jammed up against a river with only a couple of ways to get out.
Well, let's see ... From the ballparks you can go north, south, east or west. Is there another direction I'm unaware of?
Quote:
I would have put the stadia out on 275
Not only did that concept fail in Detroit, but it also failed in Cleveland, and probably a few other places I'm unaware of.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOW THIS POST TO EVERYONE!
As long as you show it to someone who knows their way around Chicago and what the areas are called, I'm not worried. They might actually teach you something.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
As long as you show it to someone who knows their way around Chicago and what the areas are called, I'm not worried. They might actually teach you something.
I'd like to tell you what a Chicagoan just "taught" me about you on the phone call I just had, but the mods wouldn't like it.

"I'm not talking about the L. I'm talking about the Loop."

This is better than a comedy club.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I'd like to tell you what a Chicagoan just "taught" me about you on the phone call I just had, but the mods wouldn't like it.

This is better than a comedy club.
You defending your point, when you've obviously never been to Chicago, is entertaining on a slow Friday.
Soldier Field is in South Loop. It is literally about 2 1/2 blocks from Loop.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, let's see ... From the ballparks you can go north, south, east or west. Is there another direction I'm unaware of?
Can't go South without going another direction first, right into the teeth of the traffic.

Quote:
Not only did that concept fail in Detroit, but it also failed in Cleveland,
Really?

Quote:
and probably a few other places I'm unaware of.
Like King's Island? Cedar Point? Great America? Churchill Downs?

Quote:
You defending your point, when you've obviously never been to Chicago, is entertaining on a slow Friday.
Soldier Field is in South Loop. It is literally about 2 1/2 blocks from Loop.

I know you only see real cities on television, but before you go throwing around terms that are beyond your travel experience, but did you ever consider just what is "looping" to make a "loop?"

Cincinnati is in South Loop Heights, right?

Last edited by GregHenry; 06-01-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati