Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,286,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I'm sure things have changed somewhat in the last 5 years, but how much?
U.S. Cities Growing Faster Than Suburbs - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,919,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Good or bad, I can guarantee you my acquiantances could care less about the streetcar. They consider it a Cincinnati situation pure and simple. Cincinnati decided to go ahread. That is just fine, but what is Cincinnati now expecting to boiil them out of their delemma? You make a deicision then you see it through to the end. This seems to be what Cincinnati is incapable of doing.
They are trying to avoid another referendum, which is tricky because of the parking court ruling. I know the nuances and particulars don't change the way you view the situation, but I think we can all agree voting on this a third time would be completely ridiculous. Unfortunately, COAST, Smitherman, and Cranley would make sure it happened. And in that case, council voting now versus later doesn't speed up a damn thing.

If Kasich hadn't pulled the TRAC money, this wouldn't be an issue. It would just mean shortening the route some -- which already happened long ago.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Do you think it may be due to the fact he realizes that is where the financial clout is?
Inner-City Neighborhoods Center of Population, Economic Power in Cincinnati Region — UrbanCincy

Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM

3,970 posts, read 8,540,466 times
Interesting opening statement:

"America’s biggest cities are continuing to outgrow their suburbs as the economy’s plodding recovery makes it harder for city dwellers to move to greener pastures."

That being said, your article (what I could read without subscribing) speaks in general terms of the country overall, giving specifics of the New York/New Jersey and Chicago areas (although the Chicago numbers were somewhat confusing).

The article I linked to was Ohio specific, which I believe is more in line with the topic in the Cincinnati threads.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
The article I linked to was Ohio specific, which I believe is more in line with the topic in the Cincinnati threads.
I agree, but the article was very dated in light of the recession. But across the country the trend is that more people are moving into cities, why would Cincinnati be exempt?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,892,361 times
Just because the inner City remains the highest concentration of jobs has nothing to do with population. I would expect nothing less than Cincinnati having the most jobs, as that is where the offices of the major companies are located. As we are more and more a service dominated economy, where you work and where you live have little to do with each other.

As Cincinnati has the highest concentration of jobs that should be to their advantage, as they certainly do not have the highest concentration of population. Cincinnati should be on easy street due to all those people who pay City income taxes and do not even live there. But Cincinnati does not seem to be able to manage that windfall of money to their advantage.

I just point out the real economic power comes from people voting where they live, not where they work. Maybe that is what we need, you can vote where you pay City income taxes. I would like to see the result of that.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 AM

^ But your point of view of adding up everyone that lives outside city limits is simply trying to twist numbers to substantiate your point of view.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^ But your point of view of adding up everyone that lives outside city limits is simply trying to twist numbers to substantiate your point of view.
Twist numbers - no those are real people, real votes, and real numbers. Why do you think the light rail initiative went down in flames? Those who live outside of the City limits see little need for it. Same reason we see little need for the streetcar. When the City can show a 20% population increase over maybe 5 years we might believe they are on the right track. Slowing down the poulation loss and rehabbing portions of the City like OTR are definite positives. But they fall very short of a significant population turnaround.

In my mind, the downtown population could drop to zero and the CBD would keep marching on. People would simply commute which is what the majority do now. I do believe there should be a downtown living option, but do I believe it is the do-all-to-end-all - No, just an option which the minority chose.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,852,165 times
^No the reason that light rail didn't pass was because of the stadiums.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^No the reason that light rail didn't pass was because of the stadiums.
That is rediculous. The people may have been upset about the stadiums, but if they wanted light rail they would have voted for light rail.

Or are you saying Cincinnati can only do one thing at at time? In that light I may agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati