Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
But you realize that is not a problem of transit, right? It's a fundamental issue with the road system itself.
As previously stated, I see no reason to continue this discussion. It is akin to a dog chasing its tail.

You need to deal with the reality of the issues as they presently exist. The system is the way it is. I don't like it at times but realize the way to effect change is to work within the system. If you don't like it then move back to this country, start a lobbying group in DC and work towards achieving a HSR line in areas that you believe they are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Wow...
He's made some questionable personal comments in the past towards at least a couple of people including myself. One woman that was interested in moving to Cincy was also on the receiving end of it. Tom Jones123 no longer posts on this board because of some issues with him as well as a couple of others on this board. He got sick of the barbs and attacks and left. Thankfully I am not on the receiving end of that many but I also don't post very often.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
He's made some questionable personal comments in the past towards at least a couple of people including myself. One woman that was interested in moving to Cincy was also on the receiving end of it. Tom Jones123 no longer posts on this board because of some issues with him as well as a couple of others on this board. He got sick of the barbs and attacks and left. Thankfully I am not on the receiving end of that many but I also don't post very often.
Not exactly what I meant.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Not exactly what I meant.
Laterhosen.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
DERAILED: California’s high-speed train project going nowhere fast

The only thing speedy about California’s vaunted plan for a high-speed rail system connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco is the name.[LEFT]
Read more: DERAILED: California's high-speed train project going nowhere fast - Washington Times

[/LEFT]

Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

The only thing speedy about California’s vaunted plan for a high-speed rail system connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco is the name.[LEFT]
Read more: DERAILED: California's high-speed train project going nowhere fast - Washington Times

[/LEFT]
That report is over a year old. I wonder if anything has changed since that time?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 AM

549 posts, read 848,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Here's something the Cincinnati area should look into. It has worked in Pittsburgh and now is being developed in Hartford. It's a much better use of taxpayer money than Slight Rail or the absurd HSR concept.

CTfastrak Busway A Hit With Riders So Far - Hartford Courant
I happen to be a transit planner who did my Masters Thesis on bringing busways to Cincinnati. Here's the thing though, busways don't work everywhere, just like light rail doesn't work everywhere, and streetcars don't work everywhere. A multimodal system is key.

I support a busway on the west side. I don't support one on the east side.
I support the current streetcar. I'm indifferent on an extension to Uptown.
I support BRT on Reading and Colerain. I don't support BRT on Glenway, Hamilton, Vine, Montgomery, or Madison.
I support Light Rail on Wasson Way and I-75. I don't support Light Rail on the Oasis Line or anywhere on the west side.
I support commuter rail to Hamilton, Harrison and Lebanon. I don't support it to Clermont County.
I support DMUs to Clermont County. I don't support them anywhere else.
I support upgraded intercity rail connections to Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and Nashville. I'm iffy on adding connections to Louisville, St Louis and upgrading the corridor through West Virginia.
I support High Speed Rail to Chicago and Cleveland. I do not support HSR anywhere else.
I support the Martin Luther King and I-71 Interchange. I do not support the widening of MLK.
I support the Western Hills Viaduct rebuild. I do not support the Brent Spence Bridge project.
I support the AA Highway extension. I do not support the Eastern Corridor.

Every mode has a place in a fully functioning transportation system. A transportation system with only one mode is doomed to fail. There's just no way we can possibly keep funding roadbuilding the way we have been. It's untenable. We have to diversify the options.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

[/LEFT]
Work has begun on the HSR line between SF and LA. May work there but it will likely be a huge drain on the wallets of the taxpayers.

Opinion: California bullet train: High cost, tiny impact | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

Unspectacular work marks first high-speed rail construction | High-Speed Rail | FresnoBee.com

Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I happen to be a transit planner who did my Masters Thesis on bringing busways to Cincinnati. Here's the thing though, busways don't work everywhere, just like light rail doesn't work everywhere, and streetcars don't work everywhere. A multimodal system is key.

I support a busway on the west side. I don't support one on the east side.
I support the current streetcar. I'm indifferent on an extension to Uptown.
I support BRT on Reading and Colerain. I don't support BRT on Glenway, Hamilton, Vine, Montgomery, or Madison.
I support Light Rail on Wasson Way and I-75. I don't support Light Rail on the Oasis Line or anywhere on the west side.
I support commuter rail to Hamilton, Harrison and Lebanon. I don't support it to Clermont County.
I support DMUs to Clermont County. I don't support them anywhere else.
I support upgraded intercity rail connections to Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and Nashville. I'm iffy on adding connections to Louisville, St Louis and upgrading the corridor through West Virginia.
I support High Speed Rail to Chicago and Cleveland. I do not support HSR anywhere else.
I support the Martin Luther King and I-71 Interchange. I do not support the widening of MLK.
I support the Western Hills Viaduct rebuild. I do not support the Brent Spence Bridge project.
I support the AA Highway extension. I do not support the Eastern Corridor.

Every mode has a place in a fully functioning transportation system. A transportation system with only one mode is doomed to fail. There's just no way we can possibly keep funding roadbuilding the way we have been. It's untenable. We have to diversify the options.
At least you are qualified to give an honest assessment of potential for rail to succeed or fail in many areas of the country. Agree with much of what you said though I still doubt HSR will ever be able to come close to standing on its own two feet in any areas other than the Northeast and possibly California until great population shifts take place and densities increase in the areas where it is being proposed. Only Chicago really has the population to support it and perhaps Detroit and Cleveland. The rest of the Midwest does not at this time.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
^Yeah, a Milwaukee-Chicago-Detroit-Cleveland-Pittsburgh line would make a lot of sense. With stops in places like South Bend, Toledo, and Youngstown along the way.

Many consider that corridor to be somewhat akin to the Boston-Washington DC corridor. If it weren't for the stagnant population growth, economic troubles, and gaping hole without population between South Bend and Detroit, it would probably be given something that would become a household name. But at the very least I have learned geographers consider it to exist.

A similar corridor is also developing in the southeast between Atlanta and Greensboro NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati