Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Pragmatism is not completely ignoring the astronomical cost of the road system and refusing to do anything different as bridges collapse. Transit isn't causing that to happen.
It is pointless to discuss this issue any further with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It is pointless to discuss this issue any further with you.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Good statement and god response. So let's just see if it can have a merciful death.,

Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Good statement and god response. So let's just see if it can have a merciful death.,
You guys will literally not address a single question I've asked, so what more can I do. The thread is pointless not because the topic is unworthy of debate, but because of the absolute refusal to have one in the first place.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
You guys will literally not address a single question I've asked, so what more can I do. The thread is pointless not because the topic is unworthy of debate, but because of the absolute refusal to have one in the first place.
You have an unhealthy preoccupation with this subject. Trying to convince the rest of us that we should continue to discuss a subject that has no chance of becoming reality is proof of that. And equally as disturbing is that fact that you are incapable of comprehending the fiscal issues (numerous and vast) that are obstacles to building HSR at this time or in the foreseeable future in the USA.

I liken this to someone making minimum wage with no savings and then goes out shopping for a Lamborghini. Pie in the sky aspirations that have no chance at becoming reality yet the shopper is absolutely convinced he can purchase that car on his meager wages. And when he figures out he does not have the money he hits up people that might have the money to fund the purchase.

You want the rest of us to foot the bill for something that we cannot afford right now and probably for at least the next decade or two. And you don't even live in the states where the line has been proposed. Are you going to move to Chicago or Cincinnati and ride this rail line?

If you really want to ride a choo choo then simply move to an area that has one. Anyone that has an ounce of intelligence will not live in an area that does not offer the amenities or quality of life they desire. In my case, I am not staying in Indianapolis because it has nothing of note that I find appealing. It's the Flatlands and the culture and behavior of the people is not to my liking. Therefore, I am going to ultimately move to an area that has at least a few things that I like and a culture that I find more agreeable. Get it? If someone wants the mountains they move to an area with mountains. The ocean? Move to the coast. Rail? Choose a city like Boston, NY, Chicago, Seattle, DC, etc. that has commuter rail.

None of us can change the financial issues that present the obstacles to making HSR come to fruition. You need to come to grips with that. I think you need psychological help because you keep on beating a dead horse over and over again and are unwilling to accept the reality of the situation.

The only thing you get out of me at this point is name, rank and serial number.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
You have an unhealthy preoccupation with this subject. Trying to convince the rest of us that we should continue to discuss a subject that has no chance of becoming reality is proof of that. And equally as disturbing is that fact that you are incapable of comprehending the fiscal issues (numerous and vast) that are obstacles to building HSR at this time or in the foreseeable future in the USA.

I liken this to someone making minimum wage with no savings and then goes out shopping for a Lamborghini. Pie in the sky aspirations that have no chance at becoming reality yet the shopper is absolutely convinced he can purchase that car on his meager wages. And when he figures out he does not have the money he hits up people that might have the money to fund the purchase.

You want the rest of us to foot the bill for something that we cannot afford right now and probably for at least the next decade or two. And you don't even live in the states where the line has been proposed. Are you going to move to Chicago or Cincinnati and ride this rail line?

If you really want to ride a choo choo then simply move to an area that has one. Anyone that has an ounce of intelligence will not live in an area that does not offer the amenities or quality of life they desire. In my case, I am not staying in Indianapolis because it has nothing of note that I find appealing. It's the Flatlands and the culture and behavior of the people is not to my liking. Therefore, I am going to ultimately move to an area that has at least a few things that I like and a culture that I find more agreeable. Get it? If someone wants the mountains they move to an area with mountains. The ocean? Move to the coast. Rail? Choose a city like Boston, NY, Chicago, Seattle, DC, etc. that has commuter rail.

None of us can change the financial issues that present the obstacles to making HSR come to fruition. You need to come to grips with that. I think you need psychological help because you keep on beating a dead horse over and over again and are unwilling to accept the reality of the situation.

Again, making this personal. I have repeatedly attempted, in actual good faith, to get answers to legitimate questions that go beyond just the rail issue itself, and not one rail opponent will touch them with a 50-foot pole. Instead, it has been turned around and made to be an issue of my location or simply not comprehending a complex financial situation. Nonsense. I get that rail costs money. I get that transit budgets are tight, to say the least. I also recognize that even if rail is dropped from the discussion altogether, those budget issues still exist. Bridges will continue to collapse and roads in general will remain seriously underfunded because no one wants to address the elephant in the room about how road infrastructure is paid for (or not paid for) and why. So think what you want about me, but I'm at least willing to ask the tough questions.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:00 AM

The problem is you ask the tough questions but have no answers. We don't need questions, we need answers. As so many have already said. the simple answer is there is no money. Argue about cutting the road budget all you want, the simple fact of life it is what keeps this country on its feet. I wouldn't take a train ride if they gave me a free ticket, knowing there is absolutely nothing about trains which is free.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Again, making this personal. I have repeatedly attempted, in actual good faith, to get answers to legitimate questions that go beyond just the rail issue itself, and not one rail opponent will touch them with a 50-foot pole. Instead, it has been turned around and made to be an issue of my location or simply not comprehending a complex financial situation. Nonsense. I get that rail costs money. I get that transit budgets are tight, to say the least. I also recognize that even if rail is dropped from the discussion altogether, those budget issues still exist. Bridges will continue to collapse and roads in general will remain seriously underfunded because no one wants to address the elephant in the room about how road infrastructure is paid for (or not paid for) and why. So think what you want about me, but I'm at least willing to ask the tough questions.
This was not directed at you. Ugh. And in the past BTW you most definitely have made things personal. Remember recently that attack against my field of employment? You are a real Hypocrite.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:24 AM

33 posts, read 29,434 times
Quote:

Good point. Since we dont have any money, I guess we're just going to need tolls to pay for the $1 trillion in required road maintenance. The Brent spence Bridge alone will cost $2.6 billion, which is 11 times higher than Amtrak's total operating loss from 2014.

Quote:
Gov. John Kasich of Ohio and Gov. Steve Beshear of Kentucky announced today that they will pay for improvements to the Brent Spence Bridge using a toll fare that will be charged to drivers.

The Kentucky and Ohio state transportation agencies will working together to develop a plan to save money on a $2.6 billion replacement of the bridge. The agencies are expected to deliver ideas by March 30 and build a financial plan for the bridge’s future by the end of this year.
Tolls to pay for Brent Spence Bridge improvements

Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0de_M0nkey View Post
Good point. Since we dont have any money, I guess we're just going to need tolls to pay for the $1 trillion in required road maintenance. The Brent spence Bridge alone will cost $2.6 billion, which is 11 times higher than Amtrak's total operating loss from 2014.

Tolls to pay for Brent Spence Bridge improvements
Make you a bet right now. The Brent Spence will NOT become a toll bridge. An absolute disaster to both states. They can talk tolls all they want as a scare tactic, but if they expect to get reelected No WAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati