Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think KJ has hit on it. It is a self centered, ego driven, sense of pride to have a big public works project paid for by other people. It is grandiosity.
And something else I just noted. Many of the people in favor of it do not live in OH, IN or IL.

If you want rail bad enough again, move to where you will have it. Just like if you want the ocean nearby, you move to the coast. You don't try to dig a big hole in the ground the size of Lake Erie and fill it with salt water in an inland state like Indiana or Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:25 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And something else I just noted. Many of the people in favor of it do not live in OH, IN or IL.

If you want rail bad enough again, move to where you will have it. Just like if you want the ocean nearby, you move to the coast. You don't try to dig a big hole in the ground the size of Lake Erie and fill it with salt water in an inland state like Indiana or Illinois.

Hahaha!

Actually, that is what Californians did. They move to the desert and then try to make the whole country ration water.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
This thread has turned into a bunch of old men complaining that people just don't understand what's good for them anymore.

Lame.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Does anyone have that figure? And Wilson, do you have your numbers from before?

In the meantime I came across this in my FB feed. Haven't read yet but looks applicable to this (highly derailed - pun intended) conversation:

A New Report Says Sprawl Costs America $1 Trillion a Year - CityLab

Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This thread has turned into a bunch of old men complaining that people just don't understand what's good for them anymore.

Lame.
It is absolutely right for some a person from Columbus Ohio to move to Mexico and then come back and tell us how we are doing everything wrong. Why don't you think I have much confidence in those comments?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It is absolutely right for some a person from Columbus Ohio to move to Mexico and then come back and tell us how we are doing everything wrong. Why don't you think I have much confidence in those comments?
I pretty much had the exact same opinions living in Columbus most of my life, the largest US city without rail of any kind. I'm kind of wondering why me being in Mexico is so threatening to you or why it would seem to remove any of the validity of what I've said. Could you explain that? You're not the first person to bring it up like it's a negative and I'm fascinated by this reaction.

I'm also wondering why none of the points made about cognitive dissonance and contradictory views on subsidization and infrastructure, among other things, ever seem to actually be addressed directly by rail opponents. All I've really seen is a lot of back slapping on how awesome you guys think cars are and how stupid all those kids must be for thinking differently.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Does anyone have that figure? And Wilson, do you have your numbers from before?

In the meantime I came across this in my FB feed. Haven't read yet but looks applicable to this (highly derailed - pun intended) conversation:

A New Report Says Sprawl Costs America $1 Trillion a Year - CityLab
I found it. Two second Google search and a five second currency conversion.

$500 billion.

Wilson. Where the heck are you numbers?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I found it. Two second Google search and a five second currency conversion.

$500 billion.

Wilson. Where the heck are you numbers?
If I believed any of those inflated numbers I might be willing to pay attention to some of them, but I don't. If it was not for the suburbs in this country people would be looking how to scratch their ass but not knowing where to find it. Look around this country, without the suburbs we would probably be living in 18th century conditions and wondering what to do with all of those obsolete train tracks.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If I believed any of those inflated numbers I might be willing to pay attention to some of them, but I don't. If it was not for the suburbs in this country people would be looking how to scratch their ass but not knowing where to find it. Look around this country, without the suburbs we would probably be living in 18th century conditions and wondering what to do with all of those obsolete train tracks.
Sources:

Interstate Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Their source: USATODAY.com - Traveling interstates is our sixth freedom

Cost per mile to build interstates today: $20.6 million.

Source:
Planning and Markets: John M. Cobin: Section II

You have no facts. Please stop talking.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
How serious are they on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati