Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 AM

33 posts, read 29,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
How much does a bus driver in Portland make compared with Cincinnati. An accountant?
Bus drivers make $37k in Cincinnati and $40k in Portland. They make $50k in Chicago.

Bus driver salary in Cincinnati

Bus driver salary in Portland

http://www.simplyhired.com/salaries-...o-il-jobs.html

I'm still waiting to see a single shred of evidence that Cincinnati losing 50% of its population was a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Cincinnati might be a much more significant city today had it completed its subway...
Probably so, but to what extent will have to remain conjecture.

However, in such "what could, would, should have been Cincinnati" memorabilia, there's a more disconcerting event that occurred long before the 1927 subway abandonment--one so influencial that its reversal would have guaranteed Cincinnati be catapulted into both a global city and household name...

And that was in 1901/02 Henry Ford and J.W. Packard came to Cincinnati first to secure capital to market motorcars and secure patents held by the city's carriage manufacturers for construction of auto bodies--and since Cincinnati was the center of this trade, Ford and Packard tried to persuade executives of the larger plants to manufacture both the bodies and the engines. Nevertheless, the two men's repeated efforts failed and they moved on to Detroit.

So, not only did Cincinnati kiss a subway goodbye, but also an entire car industry. Oh, for sure, Midwestern manufacturing cities such as Cincy still rely heavily upon automotive products, but next to Detroit the rest of us are mostly just contenders.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post

However, in such "what could, would, should have been Cincinnati" memorabilia, there's a more disconcerting event that occurred long before the 1927 subway abandonment--one so influencial that its reversal would have guaranteed Cincinnati be catapulted into both a global city and household name...

And that was in 1901/02 Henry Ford and J.W. Packard came to Cincinnati first to secure capital to market motorcars and secure patents held by the city's carriage manufacturers for construction of auto bodies--and since Cincinnati was the center of this trade, Ford and Packard tried to persuade executives of the larger plants to manufacture both the bodies and the engines. Nevertheless, the two men's repeated efforts failed and they moved on to Detroit.

So, not only did Cincinnati kiss a subway goodbye, but also an entire car industry. Oh, for sure, Midwestern manufacturing cities such as Cincy still rely heavily upon automotive products, but next to Detroit the rest of us are mostly just contenders.

Great story. Detroit became one of the most hellish cities outside the Third World. A vermin infested crime ridden bankrupt ghetto of hate and violence. Thank God for Henry Ford going to Detroit.

Yet another good reason to be careful of what you wish for.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:

Great post. But don't forget Cincinnati was the Machine Tool Capital of the US for many years. The old as we used to call it The MILL was the biggest. I had many classmates and friends who worked there. Spent my entire life in that industry at LeBlond. Was so fortunate when they sold out to the Japanese who decided early on to sell the factory in Norwood (Rookwood Commons) and build a new facility in Mason a few miles from my house.

This was during the time the entire machine tool industry in the US went to Hell in a hand basket. If you want to know why, ask the US Government.

The succeeding company, Makino is a world-wide powerhouse. The Mason facility no longer manufactures anything, but it is a superb sales and service facility. They can dazzle you with the demonstrations of what those machines can do.

Some of my very much younger coworkers, I have kids older than them, are busy hopping all over the world installing machine tools. You name it Europe, South America, Brazil, Argentina, or Alaska they are going at it. The Japanese are extremely adept at recognizing talent. And when they recognize superior talent look out. They will work your ass off around the world.

NO, Cincinnati did not miss the boat. Our US Government missed the boat. Cost the majority of the industry I grew up in their jobs.

I have a nephew by marriage, whose family were lifetime employees of Ford. He still works there, just now in Detroit.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I could not care less how "significant" my city is, and I don't really want to live around others that do. I would much prefer to live in a quiet river town with clean air, old trees, and midwestern values than a mini-NYC.
There are thousands of small towns like this across the Midwest. I don't get the logic whatsoever of trying to force an actual city to function and resemble a small village rather than a city. Cincinnati isn't Mayberry and never has been.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Great story. Detroit became one of the most hellish cities outside the Third World. A vermin infested crime ridden bankrupt ghetto of hate and violence. Thank God for Henry Ford going to Detroit.

Yet another good reason to be careful of what you wish for.
Detroit's problems are not necessarily from the auto industry itself, but in Detroit pretty much basing its entire economy almost exclusively on that one industry. Detroit was doomed for a long time before the actual decline even began. And its long record of corruption has only exacerbated the problems. There is no guarantee that Cincinnati would've suffered anything close to the same fate.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0de_M0nkey View Post
Bus drivers make $37k in Cincinnati and $40k in Portland. They make $50k in Chicago.

Bus driver salary in Cincinnati

Bus driver salary in Portland

Bus Driver Salaries in Chicago, IL | Simply Hired

I'm still waiting to see a single shred of evidence that Cincinnati losing 50% of its population was a good thing.
Sorry, but this link's bus driver salaries don't match the ones quoted. From this same source, I just obtained these figures: Portland, $50k; Cincinnati, $46k; Chicago, $41k.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but this link's bus driver salaries don't match the ones quoted. From this same source, I just obtained these figures: Portland, $50k; Cincinnati, $46k; Chicago, $41k.

Actually, I see Portland bus drivers at $31,000 on that site, not $50,000.

All I can tell you is that I have looked at hundreds of tax returns in my job and people here make what one would expect from big city employment.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There are thousands of small towns like this across the Midwest. I don't get the logic whatsoever of trying to force an actual city to function and resemble a small village rather than a city. Cincinnati isn't Mayberry and never has been.
I though that was only certain neighborhoods though. Is this all of Cincinnati?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:07 AM

Bigger=Better=BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati