Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 01:45 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

Same premise on the math.You made statements on the cost of the stadiums whiich I cannot confirm. If you can please post them here. Frankly I believe most of you are just anti-sports people. Give the Music Hall people anything they want, but the sports people let them hang.

Just my belief. I frankly don't want to subside any sub-professional sport. Far as I am concerned they should all be all be on their own tab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:53 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Give the Music Hall people anything they want, but the sports people let them hang..
Isn't the exact opposite of this what is actually occurring? When have the sports teams not gotten what they wanted? I don't understand.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Isn't the exact opposite of this what is actually occurring? When have the sports teams not gotten what they wanted? I don't understand.
No, he said you, as in the people on this forum.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 AM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Your math was wrong. But, since your premise is also wrong I have no interest in furthering this. What on earth would GDP have to do with a streetcar funded by tax revenues on income or sales? Who cares. No one. the streetcar was a mistake, a very expensive one. Cincinnati will never have and does not need any of Phily's streetcar and rail service. Enjoy Philly. Great city.
If your only retort is "I'm right, you're wrong" there really isn't much else to say. I respect your right to have a seperate opinion even if I disagree with the way you are argue it. I apologize that I obviously upset you, it was not my intent. Take care.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:50 AM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Same premise on the math.You made statements on the cost of the stadiums whiich I cannot confirm. If you can please post them here. Frankly I believe most of you are just anti-sports people. Give the Music Hall people anything they want, but the sports people let them hang.

Just my belief. I frankly don't want to subside any sub-professional sport. Far as I am concerned they should all be all be on their own tab.
Paul Brown Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great American Ball Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand it's wikipedia and not always the most accurate, but if anyone has more accurate figures feel free to point them out.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:40 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Speaking as a Transportation/Logistics graduate and lifelong railroad buff, the problem here is that the public (and most of the politicians) don't understand what is meant by "High Speed Rail", nor the cost of the real thing.

At present we have one "High Speed Rail" system in service -- the original Boston-New York-Washington Northeast Corridor. Its Acela trainsets have a top speed of 150 MPH, but can attain it over only about 5% of the route -- ironically, in Rhode Island. Many obstacles, from drawbridges, to tunnels, to older electrical catenary (overhead wires) prevent it from attaining its full potential.

California began construction on a 400-mile West Coast network last year. Wisely, the first segments are in the flat Central Valley , where higher speeds can be attained early in the project. But finding a route over the San Gabriel Mountains and into Los Angeles is going to be a challenge. It's possible that a deal can give rise to a public/private joint project, since the California freight rail network was never fully developed

Which leaves the Midwest, slowly evolving into a hub-and-spoke pattern around Chicago. To date, only the St. Louis and Detroit "spokes" have the Federally-mandated signal systems needed to operate at a speed of over 80 MPH, and other routes, such as the Cleveland and Indianapolis/Cincinnati "spokes" see only limited Amtrak service.

What the politicians promising this pie-in-the-sky don't tell us about the Japanese and French systems held out as examples is that these operations were built essentially "from scratch" rather than converting existing rail lines. Nor do they point out that their ridership has a stronger "incentive" to use them in the form of much higher taxes on both vehicles and fuel.

I want to close with a link to another project in Pennsylvania which should serve to illustrate the gap between public/political perception and economic reality:

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...l#post38634761

There are places in America, particularly along the two Coasts and in the congested areas around the mega-cities, where the potential for new highways is saturated and rail transit makes sense; but it will be quite a while before Indiana and Western Ohio are numbered among them.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:54 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Speaking as a Transportation/Logistics graduate and lifelong railroad buff, the problem here is that the public (and most of the politicians) don't understand what is meant by "High Speed Rail", nor the cost of the real thing.

At present we have one "High Speed Rail" system in service -- the original Boston-New York-Washington Northeast Corridor. Its Acela trainsets have a top speed of 150 MPH, but can attain it over only about 5% of the route -- ironically, in Rhode Island. Many obstacles, from drawbridges, to tunnels, to older electrical catenary (overhead wires) prevent it from attaining its full potential.

California began construction on a 400-mile West Coast network last year. Wisely, the first segments are in the flat Central Valley , where higher speeds can be attained early in the project. But finding a route over the San Gabriel Mountains and into Los Angeles is going to be a challenge. It's possible that a deal can give rise to a public/private joint project, since the California freight rail network was never fully developed

Which leaves the Midwest, slowly evolving into a hub-and-spoke pattern around Chicago. To date, only the St. Louis and Detroit "spokes" have the Federally-mandated signal systems needed to operate at a speed of over 80 MPH, and other routes, such as the Cleveland and Indianapolis/Cincinnati "spokes" see only limited Amtrak service.

What the politicians promising this pie-in-the-sky don't tell us about the Japanese and French systems held out as examples is that these operations were built essentially "from scratch" rather than converting existing rail lines. Nor do they point out that their ridership has a stronger "incentive" to use them in the form of much higher taxes on both vehicles and fuel.

I want to close with a link to another project in Pennsylvania which should serve to illustrate the gap between public/political perception and economic reality:

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...l#post38634761

There are places in America, particularly along the two Coasts and in the congested areas around the mega-cities, where the potential for new highways is saturated and rail transit makes sense; but it will be quite a while before Indiana and Western Ohio are numbered among them.
I agree because a lot those countries are densely populated vs America which is pretty big and spread out. Like you said only in big cities and clusters with large population would something like that be truly useful. However I think the California project is good foot in the door because it usually takes years to develop those systems so I'm happy about that. Rail should be just option for transportation but the perspectives from most of the people on this board are from the suburbs so of course they don't see any incentive to have it. If I am a young professional living in a crowded city with lots of traffic I would rather take the train as an alternative because its faster.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:39 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I agree because a lot those countries are densely populated vs America which is pretty big and spread out. Like you said only in big cities and clusters with large population would something like that be truly useful. However I think the California project is good foot in the door because it usually takes years to develop those systems so I'm happy about that. Rail should be just option for transportation but the perspectives from most of the people on this board are from the suburbs so of course they don't see any incentive to have it. If I am a young professional living in a crowded city with lots of traffic I would rather take the train as an alternative because its faster.
Mostly the train is used when there is no better alternative. If parking is $37 per day, not always available, and is the end point of an hour and thirty minutes expressway nightmare, then the train with its dedicated rails looks pretty good. But, don't be fooled by this phenomenon, it only looks good to a person who is facing parking at $37 per day (not always available), and an hour and thirty minutes expressway nightmare.

But, if a person is facing a ~60 mph 13 mile commute with NPR Morning Edition on, air conditioned comfort a $65/month ($3/day) parking space at the destination, and the ability to swing by the drive-through burger place on the way home, a train is the last thing in the world they want to consider.

Somewhere between those two alternative commutes, dedicated rails become more attractive even if not more economical.

Where does Cincinnati sit on that range? We are the endpoint. Call us in 300 years.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 AM

549 posts, read 848,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I completely agree, and I'd add that Ohio has a population density greater than France.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:24 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
High Speed Rail belongs out there with the door-to-door high grade meat salesmen as they are both conning the American Public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati