Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

Cincinnati has a large (very large) population of discouraged, indigenous poor. The income demographic is bimodal. The arithmatic mean you quoted means nothing. People I know make just as much as our counterparts in law, medicine, corporate, and government as they do in Chicago, Portland, and Seattle. New York is a special circumstance. But, cost of living is so much higher in all of the cities you mentioned, (30% or more) that we have a much better standard of living than those cities. I am sorry about our urban poor. If I could wave a wand I would make them all employed and prosperous. But, it just isn't going to happen.
Cost of living is higher because demand is higher. You think places are cheap because everyone wants to live there? That's not how it works, no matter what anecdotes you share about your friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 PM

33 posts, read 29,433 times
Quote:

Cincinnati has a large (very large) population of discouraged, indigenous poor. The income demographic is bimodal. The arithmatic mean you quoted means nothing. People I know make just as much as our counterparts in law, medicine, corporate, and government as they do in Chicago, Portland, and Seattle. New York is a special circumstance. But, cost of living is so much higher in all of the cities you mentioned, (30% or more) that we have a much better standard of living than those cities. I am sorry about our urban poor. If I could wave a wand I would make them all employed and prosperous. But, it just isn't going to happen.
Claim: Cincinnati is more prosperous without population growth.

Fact: Every single major American city that has seen significant population growth is wealthier than Cincinnati. There is not a single exception.

Prosperity increases land value and demand for housing. This increases cost of living. Atlanta has a large population of indigenous, discouraged poor as well. However, due in part to an increasing population Atlanta's median income is 58% higher than Cincinnati's. Cost of living isn't higher in Atlanta either. There is no evidence than population growth is not good for a city.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:17 PM

33 posts, read 29,433 times
Quote:
You just don't get it. Why don't you compare salaries of specific jobs between Portland and Cincinnati. People don't get awarded the median income when they come here. They make very much the same as their counterparts elsewhere only with lower taxes and dramatically lower housing costs.
According to Indeed people in my field (software development) make 4.5% more in Portland and 30% more in Atlanta. It wouldn't even be fair if I did comparisons with cities like San Francisco and Seattle.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0de_M0nkey View Post
According to Indeed people in my field (software development) make 4.5% more in Portland and 30% more in Atlanta. It wouldn't even be fair if I did comparisons with cities like San Francisco and Seattle.
Just keep thinking that way. Hope you do very well in your field. But guess what there has to be a need. I worked on software for more than 40 years. But I never considered it software, just another means to let our machines produce the parts our customers desired.

Have much younger coworkers traveling the Globe today, installing much of the current generation equipment I worked on. So when they email me today about their global projects I am thrilled.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0de_M0nkey View Post

How much does a bus driver in Portland make compared with Cincinnati. An accountant?

Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Quote:
Growth is not an advantage, it is a disadvantage.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I could not care less how "significant" my city is, and I don't really want to live around others that do. I would much prefer to live in a quiet river town with clean air, old trees, and midwestern values than a mini-NYC.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:26 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
What about rail within Cincinnati? Isn't there a non-functional subway system buried somewhere in the city?

Old 03-19-2015, 04:50 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I could not care less how "significant" my city is, and I don't really want to live around others that do. I would much prefer to live in a quiet river town with clean air, old trees, and midwestern values than a mini-NYC.
^^^ This is wisdom. Quality of life does not mean clogged roads or packed trains or a 4.5% salary differential. Quality of life means having an affordable home, knowing your neighbors, having nice places for recreation, and contributing to the community.

Growth is the goal of urban planners, government agencies and commission based corporate types. Detroit Mi. and Atlanta GA were two of the fastest growing cities of the second half of the 20th century.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What about rail within Cincinnati? Isn't there a non-functional subway system buried somewhere in the city?
Sadly, yes.

Below downtown's Central Parkway, extending out along I-75 north, are the tunnels of this abandoned subway, where construction ceased in 1927. (Just "wiki" Cincinnati Subway and take a look for yourself.)

Old 03-20-2015, 04:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Sadly, yes.

Below downtown's Central Parkway, extending out along I-75 north, are the tunnels of this abandoned subway, where construction ceased in 1927. (Just "wiki" Cincinnati Subway and take a look for yourself.)
Interesting that no other cities in Ohio planned one. Elevation is pretty high in Ohio, must have been the economy in those other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati