Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I see it as calling it like it is. There seems to be a fairly obvious generational gap between the love of cars and the demand for alternatives. Personally, I recognize that roads and cars have a purpose and use, and I am not advocating getting rid of them entirely. That would be silly. I just want to see other types of investment made in forms that are more economically, socially and environmentally responsible, as well as providing options for more people.

The car is more than 100 years old and has changed very little in that time, so speaking about outdated technology in reference to trains while getting googly-eyed over cars is pretty hypocritical. Both forms are still used today.
You talk about cars being over 100 years old. Just exactly how old do you think those trains are? Genuine antiques. Haven't seen much in their evolution which makes me want to be a proponent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
To say the car has changed very little in 100 years is very much incorrect.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
oh my gosh. it's 2015 and cars can drive themselves and trains can float. can we get over the thing about either being outdated? it's just a dumb red herring.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
oh my gosh. it's 2015 and cars can drive themselves and trains can float. can we get over the thing about either being outdated? it's just a dumb red herring.
And your recommended substitute is What? Trains ran themselves into the ground a couple of centuries ago. Cars may be doing the same thing. But considering the fact our ground transportation system needs to exist to support our economic infrastructure, what is your alternative? Or should we all be going back to the horse and buggy days? Sometimes I wonder whether we are talking about progressing or transgressing.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And your recommended substitute is What? Trains ran themselves into the ground a couple of centuries ago. Cars may be doing the same thing. But considering the fact our ground transportation system needs to exist to support our economic infrastructure, what is your alternative? Or should we all be going back to the horse and buggy days? Sometimes I wonder whether we are talking about progressing or transgressing.
My solution is irrelevant. Decision makers in this country can't agree on the color of the sky much less how to go about improving transportation.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quick update:

Another city ? and U.S. senator ? jumps on the Cincinnati to Chicago train - Cincinnati Business Courier

Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-IN, recently supported the project. Along with the City of Norwood.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Quick update:

Another city ? and U.S. senator ? jumps on the Cincinnati to Chicago train - Cincinnati Business Courier

Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-IN, recently supported the project. Along with the City of Norwood.
And these are absolute powerhouses in the Tri-State? Come on people, recognize where the economic powerhouses are and the fact your are not even reasonably close.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:29 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
How many jobs is this suppose to make? We are already connected by interstates and railroads. Is there anything in Chicago Cincinnati really needs as far as producing more jobs?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You talk about cars being over 100 years old. Just exactly how old do you think those trains are? Genuine antiques. Haven't seen much in their evolution which makes me want to be a proponent.
A century+ old is not an antique? You're splitting hairs with no real point. Age of technology has zero bearing on the ability to be used affectively.

And I noticed you didn't even bother to deny this is heavily generationally-biased.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 03-19-2015 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The truth is that everyone here enjoys a car based life style, everyone except the truly urban poor. And, even they buy a fancy car as the first thing that catches their eye when they become employed.

Only urban planners and counter-culturists want to do away with the car based lifestyle. KJ and I are just vocal and honest about it.
I don't enjoy a car-based lifestyle, and there are others here advocating for the choice/ability to also be car-free. You're projecting your own preferences onto everyone else.

No one is actually advocating eliminating cars. That's a complete mischaracterization of the argument at best, and a lie at worst. Transit and cars can coexist and already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati