Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Come on get real. Where do you think all of those taxes paid by trucks are going to? Certainly not some ill-conceived rail system.

Those advocating rail systems seem to think we can just back up to the 18th century. Doesn't exactly work that way. Some transit systems like subways work very well in high density urban districts. But come to Cincinnati and I can show you one languishing in deterioration for decades. As Wilson says there has to be a demand before you get a change. At this time I just don't see such a demand.

We have some social elements asking for a change. The majority far as I am concerned are these tagged Millennials who simply don't have enough integrity or gumption to match what their forbears achieved. Sorry if I **** you off, but that is my exact feelings.

So glad my 4 kids are not considered part of this current generation. Don't know exactly what generation they are part of. But I do know they and their kids are not just part of the public handout approach. I hope that will recompense some of my attitudes.
Cincinnati might be a much more significant city today had it completed its subway.

Why would you see a demand when you already think the current system is the epitome of perfection? You are not looking for demand when you already think the demand is being met.

Oh look, it's the "Get off my lawn, young'ns" argument. Younger generations simply can't appreciate being forced into a system they don't value as much. Ingrates!

You are getting a handout every time you drive because you are not forced to pay nearly the full cost of the infrastructure, so you can step off your self-righteous high horse any time. Maybe you should stop mooching off the government teet before you call out anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
You're feelings don't offend me in the least, they are quite comical.

Millennials have entered a world in which middle and lower class purchasing power have been nearly stagnent since the late 60's. The countries infrasturcture requires vast amounts of reinvestment while the SS Trust fund is nearly bankrupt and the National Debt exceeds 100% of yearly GDP. And just 60 years ago, America was perhaps the greatest economic power in the history of human civilization.

It's certainly hard to imagine Millennials ever having the "integrity or gumption" to match the squandering of advantages to the extent that Baby Boomers have.
Thanks Boomers!

Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Cincinnati might be a much more significant city today had it completed its subway.

Why would you see a demand when you already think the current system is the epitome of perfection? You are not looking for demand when you already think the demand is being met.

Oh look, it's the "Get off my lawn, young'ns" argument. Younger generations simply can't appreciate being forced into a system they don't value as much. Ingrates!

You are getting a handout every time you drive because you are not forced to pay nearly the full cost of the infrastructure, so you can step off your self-righteous high horse any time. Maybe you should stop mooching off the government teet before you call out anyone else.

Hahaha! Tooting the same old horn. Everyone wants to be Mexico City. No one needs a car. Cincinnati could be four times the size it is. Blah, blah, blah.

Well, to tell you the truth, Cincinnati is a great city just the way it is. Growth is not an advantage, it is a disadvantage. I hope every person fleeing your home of Mexico goes straight to one of those "hip" cities with lots of infrastructure spending. Good for them.

Cincinnati is more prosperous today without the population growth. And, if the only people who consider moving here are folks with cars and a dream of backyard barbeque in suburbia that is just fine with me.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM

33 posts, read 29,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Hahaha! Tooting the same old horn. Everyone wants to be Mexico City. No one needs a car. Cincinnati could be four times the size it is. Blah, blah, blah.

Well, to tell you the truth, Cincinnati is a great city just the way it is. Growth is not an advantage, it is a disadvantage. I hope every person fleeing your home of Mexico goes straight to one of those "hip" cities with lots of infrastructure spending. Good for them.

Cincinnati is more prosperous today without the population growth. And, if the only people who consider moving here are folks with cars and a dream of backyard barbeque in suburbia that is just fine with me.
The median household income is $34,000 in Cincinnati. Chicago, New York City, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and virtually every other city that has seen a large increase in population is more prosperous than Cincinnati. On the other hand, nearly every major city that has seen a decline in population has a median income at or below Cincinnati's $34,000.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:55 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0de_M0nkey View Post
The median household income is $34,000 in Cincinnati. Chicago, New York City, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and virtually every other city that has seen a large increase in population is more prosperous than Cincinnati. On the other hand, nearly every major city that has seen a decline in population has a median income at or below Cincinnati's $34,000.
And we will just be fine with that. You all seem to feel Cincinnati is totally backward. I am just fine with that and apparently another 1 million people plus are also.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Cincinnati has a large (very large) population of discouraged, indigenous poor. The income demographic is bimodal. The arithmatic mean you quoted means nothing. People I know make just as much as our counterparts in law, medicine, corporate, and government as they do in Chicago, Portland, and Seattle. New York is a special circumstance. But, cost of living is so much higher in all of the cities you mentioned, (30% or more) that we have a much better standard of living than those cities. I am sorry about our urban poor. If I could wave a wand I would make them all employed and prosperous. But, it just isn't going to happen.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM

33 posts, read 29,434 times
Quote:
And we will just be fine with that. You all seem to feel Cincinnati is totally backward. I am just fine with that and apparently another 1 million people plus are also.
I never said that Cincinnati is totally backwards. I refuted the claim that Cincinnati is more prosperous without population growth. Cincinnati is a great city and I want it to get even better.

Are you saying that you're happy that the median household income in Cincinnati is nearly $20,000 below the national average?

Old 03-19-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I never said that Cincinnati is totally backwards. I refuted the claim that Cincinnati is more prosperous without population growth. Cincinnati is a great city and I want it to get even better.

Are you saying that you're happy that the median household income in Cincinnati is nearly $20,000 below the national average?

You just don't get it. Why don't you compare salaries of specific jobs between Portland and Cincinnati. People don't get awarded the median income when they come here. They make very much the same as their counterparts elsewhere only with lower taxes and dramatically lower housing costs.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

I never said anything about Mexico City. It's really on an astronomically different level than Cincinnati in different ways, transit just being one of them. I don't expect Cincy to be like that whatsoever. I also never said no one needs a car, that's not the debate at all. I do think Cincinnati would be a larger, more significant city had it finished its subway. Whether or not that's a good thing is subjective.

There is no such thing as a city that can't get any better. Cincinnati can get better. Without context, growth on its own is neither positive nor negative. All that it means is that a place has certain qualities that make people want to move there, or at the very least, natural growth is outpacing out-migration. If Cincinnati was seemingly as perfect as you think it is, it never would have lost population in the first place.

You seem almost resentful of any city that is seen as an attractive place to live, and your attitude perpetuates the stereotype that Cincinnati's citizens are rather provincial.

No, it really isn't.

Yes, except there are many types of people, and plenty of them are valuable and could make contributions. Your extremely narrow version of what constitutes good people is really limiting in so many ways.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Total strawman argument. Why are you so afraid of change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati