Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree
Took great of his mother, though he was only three.
James James said to his mother: "Mother," he said, said he.
"Don't ever go down to the end of the town if you don't go down with me.
Don't ever go down to the end of the town if you don't go down with me."

Now, James James Morrison's mother put on her golden gown.
And James James Morrison's mother, she drove to the end of the town.
James James Morrison's mother said to herself, said she:
"Well, I can get down to the end of the town and be back in time for tea.
Well, I can get down to the end of the town and be back in time for tea."

King John put up a notice: "Lost, stolen or strayed.
James James Morrison's mother seems to have been mislayed.
Wandering vaguely all about, quite of her own accord.
She tried to get down to the end of the town. For two shillings reward."
She tried to get down to the end of the town. For two shillings reward."

James James Morrison Morrison, commonly known as "Jim".
Said to his other relations, not to go blamin' him.
For James James said to his mother: "Mother," he said, said he.
"Don't ever go down to the end of the town if you don't go down with me.
You must never go down to the end of the town if you don't go down with me."

James James Morrison's mother, she hasn't been heard of since.
King John said he was sorry, and so did the queen and the prince.
King John (somebody told me) said to a man he knew:
"If people go down to the end of the town, well what can anyone do?
If people go down to the end of the town, well what can anyone do?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 PM

11 posts, read 51,152 times
To wilson1010...ex-squeeze me? LOL

Last edited by Cali-moving; 06-01-2009 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: better grammar

Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-moving View Post
To wilson1010...ex-squeeze me? LOL
Hehehehe

I am forever amazed that persons think it is significant sign of lawlessness when a shooting occurs on the absolute worst corner in town at 2:15 in the AM between persons each of whom has a significant criminal record. Or, when a routine street fight in a thug infested area is described by the cousin of a person "who heard about it" as a vicious, random attack on innocents.

Cincinnati is a great place to live and raise a family, as long as your job is not "criminal" or "drug addicted thug."

I think the lyrics are right on point.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,763 times
Let me start by saying that I think Cincinnati is a great city with much to offer, and many neighborhoods in the city are great places to live.I lived in Cincinnati for over 10 years, most of that time around the University of Cincinnati while I was a student at CCM and after graduation. I walked around the university area at all hours of the night, and also downtown. I believe I am street smart and not a easy target.That said it is my opinion that Cincinnati is a very dangerous place, I have worked as a jazz musician all over the city, and I especially had to watch my back while downtown. My friend who owns the riddle road market in Clifton was shot by a juvenile criminal who was robbing the store, ask any UC student and they will tell a similar story, or better ask a Cincinnati police officer. I also gained a unique perspective while working at a bank for two years in Hartwell, while there it was my experience that many of the people who frequented the bank had violent criminal history's, not to mention were total disrespectful scum. The bank paid a Cincinnati police officer to be present at all times, and I was still threatened with violence on several occasions. While working there I became aware of violent crime that was a every day part of the neighborhood, and neighboring communities. I have many friends from the university who have been victims of violent crime in walnut hills, northside, coryville etc. While I was a student I was always on guard, and I managed to get myself safely out of many situations where I was targeted as victim, especially around short vine. I moved to the Columbia Tusculum for 2 years, and enjoyed living there. This area seems much safer that Clifton, Mt lookout was on one side and on the other Eastern Ave, total opposites. I walked to Alms park almost daily, felt safe most of the time, but there were also dangerous people on the streets in that area. I was shocked when a bartender from Stanley's pub less that a block from my house was senselessly murdered in a purse snatching robbery. I also worked in Kenwood at the upscale Cincinnati Music Academy, and had a few instances there, where I felt threatened. In 2007 moved to Louisville Ky and have lived there for the past 2 years. I am amazed at how much safer the city feels. I grew up in NYC, and also lived in Dayton Ohio, Berlin Germany, Clearwater Florida, and and I think that Cincinnati is more dangerous than any of these cities. My family lives in Atlanta, and it does not seem to feel dangerous as Cincinnati. I hope that Cincinnati is able to overcome these obstacles

Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 AM

Oh, please. Atlanta is far worse in crime than Cincinnati. Its just bigger so a few murders are no big deal. Just like NY. People on the street do not know or do they care about crime. Here they care, and they talk about it and so its a big deal. And, Clearwater? What the average age there? About 70?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:33 AM

267 posts, read 722,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Oh, please. Atlanta is far worse in crime than Cincinnati. Its just bigger so a few murders are no big deal. Just like NY. People on the street do not know or do they care about crime. Here they care, and they talk about it and so its a big deal. And, Clearwater? What the average age there? About 70?
guess again i heard on the news detroit is.. and still is bad
few murders are no big deal oh please, now you tell me this is no big deal

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs....107/906030342/

Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
guess again i heard on the news detroit is.. and still is bad
few murders are no big deal oh please, now you tell me this is no big deal

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs....107/906030342/

Exactly my point. A girlfriend and her kids get killed in Cincinnati and it leads the TV news shows for 3 days. The number one story. Guess what? Similar murders happened in NY this week and you couldn't find the story in the NY papers if you spent all day looking. The LA times even has a blog to report the daily murders because they are not even covered on TV or in the paper. But here, you'd think it was the first time a guy killed the girlfriend who had accused him of rape.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uprightbass View Post
I also gained a unique perspective while working at a bank for two years in Hartwell, while there it was my experience that many of the people who frequented the bank had violent criminal history's, not to mention were total disrespectful scum. The bank paid a Cincinnati police officer to be present at all times, and I was still threatened with violence on several occasions. While working there I became aware of violent crime that was a every day part of the neighborhood, and neighboring communities.
Not a very nice painting of our neighborhood and very off base for someone who doesn't live here. We in this neighborhood work with the neighborhood police officer daily, attend monthly police meetings and do our best to keep a good look out for anything that should not be going on. Banks get robbed everywhere and there is only 1 bank in Hartwell and the other is across the street in Springfield Twp. If there were problems at the Hartwell bank, the manager would have let our neighbrohood officer know and therefore, the rest of the community would have been informed..that is how it works here. Hartwell is a great neighborhood and violent crime stats do not reflect what you are stating.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Exactly my point. A girlfriend and her kids get killed in Cincinnati and it leads the TV news shows for 3 days. The number one story. Guess what? Similar murders happened in NY this week and you couldn't find the story in the NY papers if you spent all day looking. The LA times even has a blog to report the daily murders because they are not even covered on TV or in the paper. But here, you'd think it was the first time a guy killed the girlfriend who had accused him of rape.
Great point ... Our news media pounds and pounds this stuff over and over into our heads ... Each incident will get coverage for days on end. The guy that was arrested for his 102nd time, received headlines for 4 days straight ... it's all about sensationalism. People eat it up.

Think clearly, be aware of how this business works, familiarize yourself with other cities stats and you'll see that the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Great point ... Our news media pounds and pounds this stuff over and over into our heads ... Each incident will get coverage for days on end. The guy that was arrested for his 102nd time, received headlines for 4 days straight ... it's all about sensationalism. People eat it up.

Think clearly, be aware of how this business works, familiarize yourself with other cities stats and you'll see that the grass isn't greener on the other side.
Here is the LA Times Homocide blog for the 50 or whatever murders they had this week that didn't even generate a story.

The Homicide Report | Homicides: May 25 - June 1 | Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati