Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 04:50 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
Jake Sweeny did have a lot at Galbraith and Vine. It was a Renault (sp) dealership. If I remember correctly, it took out no businesses, it took out several houses before all was said and done.
That's really great - no one I know could remember what preceded the car lot.

If you can remember that far back, then maybe you can also recall what used
to be at the NW corner of Compton and Vine. A Burger Chef (later, Hardee's)
went up around 1965. I think there was a tavern or restaurant there before
that, and vaguely remember efforts to preserve the building, owing to its
historical value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM

295 posts, read 973,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
That's really great - no one I know could remember what preceded the car lot.

If you can remember that far back, then maybe you can also recall what used
to be at the NW corner of Compton and Vine. A Burger Chef (later, Hardee's)
went up around 1965. I think there was a tavern or restaurant there before
that, and vaguely remember efforts to preserve the building, owing to its
historical value.

So help me, I can't remember what was there before Burger Chef and actually I should because we lived in Hartwell at the time.

I will have to ask a friend of mine who lived there at the same time what was there and get back to you.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 33,331 times
[quote=nightrider127;5560685]The place in Lockland was called High Point. I seem to remember eating there a couple of times.

Could this have been Golden Point. I seem to remember a few of these around. The building itself is still standing on Pippin Rd in Northbrook

Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 14,705 times
Does anyone remember a restaurant in Hyde Park where Bonefish is today, at Madison and Edwards? I know it was Perkins and The Window Garden, but I remember an original restaurant before that. No one else agrees with me! It would have been in the 70's, or early 80's.

I have a matchbook that says "Richard's of Hyde Park" and gives the address as 2737 Madison, the address of Bonefish, but I do NOT remember a restaurant by that name.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 AM

107 posts, read 244,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaru View Post
Does anyone remember a restaurant in Hyde Park where Bonefish is today, at Madison and Edwards? I know it was Perkins and The Window Garden, but I remember an original restaurant before that. No one else agrees with me! It would have been in the 70's, or early 80's.

I have a matchbook that says "Richard's of Hyde Park" and gives the address as 2737 Madison, the address of Bonefish, but I do NOT remember a restaurant by that name.
I too remember Window Garden and Perkins but I do not remember Richards. I'll have to check with some friends. Did you know that the "Hitching Post" is still in that strip center? And, they still carry their awesome fried chicken.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,823 times
Default Hitching Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
Did you know that the "Hitching Post" is still in that strip center? And, they still carry their awesome fried chicken.
Is that the same Hitching Post that used to have branches around town? The
store on Reading was razed and replaced with the Upper Krust. There was
also a store on Winton, near North Bend, I think.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:11 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach02116 View Post
Sunny -thanks for the update. Geez, too bad about Chester's. If I recall properly, wasn't the building of historical significance? I remember back in/around 68-71 or so, Montgomery town leadership had this penchant for not wanting to hold on and preserve it's historical landmarks. My mom was a member of the Montgomery Women's Club and lead a fight to stop the destruction of an old building where now sits Montgomery Cyclery.
Yes, it was historical, but the preservationists could not prevail against the car dealership with deep pockets. It's a shame because the Steak and Shake just north of it is still there, but Chester's is long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
Sunny dee.

I had completely forgotten the Zinover. But now I remember when it was introduced. I loved the one with pepperoni.

Near Zino's was the Ludlow Garage, actually a rock venue, not a restaurant. I saw Santana play there in 1969, right after Woodstock. Needless to say the air was thick with (ahem) smoke, and everyone was dancing like crazy. Still remember the psychedelic light show.

Did you ever go there? Is it still there
No, I never went there, but yes, it's still there. It closed as a music venue before I got of age. When I was running around Clifton Bogart's was the place to go to see live music. A little history for you:

The Ludlow Garage was a music venue located in the Clifton neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. Before being converted into a concert venue, the club was a city auto repair garage.

The Ludlow Garage in the 1970s was a venue that hosted concerts by many prominent touring acts including The Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead, Santana, as well as local acts such as Bitter Blood Street Theater. The Allman Brother's 1970 live album Live at Ludlow Garage: 1970 was recorded at the club.

Cincinnati city council member Jim Tarbell was proprietor of the garage from the late 1960s until its closing in 1971. Although no longer a concert venue, the garage still stands and currently houses a restaurant and bicycle shop. On the second floor of the garage is a yoga studio now.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Here's a new subtheme: Who remembers York Steakhouses and the Forum Cafeteria? Those were mall fixtures from the '50s to the '70s, at least at Tri-County.
Yes, I remember both. We used to drive to Tri-County Mall just so my mom could get a piece of the Forum's lemon meringue pie. That was really great pie.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM

107 posts, read 244,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Is that the same Hitching Post that used to have branches around town? The
store on Reading was razed and replaced with the Upper Krust. There was
also a store on Winton, near North Bend, I think.
Middlecincinnati - ....one in the same. There used to be one in Pleasant Ridge on Woodford and there is still one on/near Eastern Ave not far from Coney Island. I am not familiar with the other Hitching Post locations you mentioned.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 PM

204 posts, read 744,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
Middlecincinnati - ....one in the same. There used to be one in Pleasant Ridge on Woodford and there is still one on/near Eastern Ave not far from Coney Island. I am not familiar with the other Hitching Post locations you mentioned.
The Hitching Post on Kellogg Ave. (Eastern Ave.?) is still there, as well as the Hitching Post in "Hyde Park", which is actually in Oakley, I think.

I definitely remember the Hitching Post on Woodford Ave., which was at the end of Losantiville, past Montgomery Rd., where Losantiville changed to Woodford, right before Ridge Rd.

It became a barber shop, and may be now a doctor's office. Sorry, I haven't been there in a while.

It was definitely a chain at one time. However, I believe, the two remaining Hitching Posts in Cincy, are now, not related. But, I may be mistaken.

The one on Kellogg Ave. {to which I've never been} seems to be more known for their chicken.

The one in Hyde Park/Oakley {which I frequent} has some great breakfasts. Well, I haven't tried their fried chicken, but their fried biscuits with powdered sugar kick arse!! And those little potato pancakes rock!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati