Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 05:03 AM

204 posts, read 745,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
That's really great - no one I know could remember what preceded the car lot.

If you can remember that far back, then maybe you can also recall what used
to be at the NW corner of Compton and Vine. A Burger Chef (later, Hardee's)
went up around 1965. I think there was a tavern or restaurant there before
that, and vaguely remember efforts to preserve the building, owing to its
historical value.
I don't know what it was, but recently it was a BBQ joint. It got great reviews, but closed pretty quickly. I think a Penn Station is now open in it's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 AM

204 posts, read 745,118 times
Quote:
The Ludlow Garage in the 1970s was a venue that hosted concerts by many prominent touring acts including The Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead, Santana...

Although no longer a concert venue, the garage still stands and currently houses a restaurant and bicycle shop. On the second floor of the garage is a yoga studio now.
"Olives" is the restaurant at the Ludlow Garage.

Olives at the Ludlow Garage Cincinnati Restaurant, Clifton Gaslight District, Ohio Restaurant

Another interesting fact ~ Janis Joplin loved playing at the Ludlow Garage, and loved Eden Park. When she would play there, she would often disappear, and they would find her "sleeping" in Eden Park.

Last edited by soozycue520; 11-02-2008 at 05:20 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 AM

133 posts, read 691,250 times
Absolutely remember Janis' concert there, although I didn't go.

A random similar memory of Eden Park is when Jerry Rubin (Walnut Hills HS grad, and one of the Chicago Seven) had an anti war rally there. It was during one of the locust infestations, and in the middle of his talk he opened a big chest full of locusts, and let them go into the audience. Seems like I was more impressed with the locusts than what he had to say, because I can't remember any of his speech.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 14,714 times
Default Mainliner

There was only one Mainliner, the one in Fairfax. It was the first drive-in in Cincinnati and the first Frisch's Big Boy Restaurant. I am old enough to know that, but I checked the history to be sure... see below...

In 1939, Frisch, having learned from his earlier experiences, was back in the restaurant business, managing a restaurant in Fairfax, Ohio, known as the Mainliner. This establishment was the Cincinnati area's first drive-in eatery and eventually became the first Frisch's Big Boy restaurant. In 1944, Frisch, with financial backing from Fred Cornuelle, opened a second restaurant.
Frisch's Mainliner is named after a tri-motor passenger plane that landed at Cincinnati's first airport, Lunken airfield.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
Absolutely remember Janis' concert there, although I didn't go.

A random similar memory of Eden Park is when Jerry Rubin (Walnut Hills HS grad, and one of the Chicago Seven) had an anti war rally there. It was during one of the locust infestations, and in the middle of his talk he opened a big chest full of locusts, and let them go into the audience. Seems like I was more impressed with the locusts than what he had to say, because I can't remember any of his speech.

That was in April or May of 1970s as the cicadas swarms were trmendous that year.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 PM

133 posts, read 691,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That was in April or May of 1970s as the cicadas swarms were trmendous that year.
That's right. It was the year I graduated High School. The height of the Vietnam protests. We thought Jerry Rubin was soooo cool. Of course, later he became a stockbroker and was killed while jay walking.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 AM

69 posts, read 269,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda lykins View Post
The Greeks that i'm thinking about was on East Upworth I think .a friend and I would go in after school(Winton PLACE) AND GET CHERRY COKES AND CHIPS .THERE WAS ALSO A STORE DOWN THE STREET CALLED KATHY'S .gREEKS WAS ACROSS FROM A METHODIST CHURCH.I LIVED THERE ON FLAT TERRACE FROM 1961-1965? BRENDA
Yep. It was on East Epworth alright. I lived there in 1964-1965. My step family lived there for awhile before me and also later (I went to live with my mom in the summer of 65.) We lived on Epworth about a block from Winton rd. on the corner of Epworth and Burr Oak. The Greeks (still can't remember their real name). I remember you had to walk up a couple of steps to get in, and everything seemed to be black marble?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Point of info, the Alms Hotel building is still in existence. There's even a very old, no doubt burnt-out, neon sign on the north wall hyping the live WCKY broadcasts of their swing-band nights in the ballroom. The hotel is being used as subsidized housing of some kind now, but I bet if you were to go in and poke around some vestiges of its past could be found.

I believe there once had been a south wing where a McDonald's stands now. The main building still has an "Alms" sign on the front. It's located on the west side of Victory Pkwy immediately north of the intersection with East McMillan St.

While on the subject of old hotels outside the downtown area, has anybody been to the Vernon Manor lately? It got a radical makeover some time ago and is said to have recovered at least some of its past grandeur. Oak St and vicinity definitely ain't what it used to be, but that location so close to the universities and hospitals keeps rooms filled.
Back in '79 or 80, I think, a friend of mine was the bar manager there for a very short time. Jane Fonda stayed there for a speaking engagement at the university. She was married to Tom Hayden at the time. As they came in she asked that a bottle be brought up to her room, and of course, my friend took the order herself and went up. She said that when Fonda opened the door she went on and on about the old-fashioned beauty of the hotel and invited my friend into the room. All the time Fonda was talking, my friend recounted, Hayden was giving her the eye (my friend) behind Fonda's back. I think my friend still probably has the check that Fonda signed.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsall View Post
Anyone old enough to remember:
Parkmore - Corner Galbraith & Daily?
Henry's Hamburgers - Corner Galbraith & Winton
Daily Donuts - same corner ( I made donuts there when I was 14)
The Maisonette - Yum
Whatever happened to Castle Farms?
I remember Parkmoor's. I know they had a restaurant in Milford and were a competitor of Frisch's (somewhat) in the early-mid 60's, with car hop service, etc.

Don't know what happened to any of the others but the one in Milford closed and eventually became a chili place.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Bill Knapp's was like Howard Johnson's, only green, instead of orange,
and without the motel. I never quite got what their appeal was,
either, but it probably had something to do with that wholesomeness
thing you've identified. At university, I did know a guy who really
got off on their chocolate cake, though.
My family liked them because they had decent food at a decent price and were clean and had good service. I remember liking their seafood platter. We used to meet there for family dinners before an outing or something of that nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati