Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
...And are you that ignorant? If a city can't "sustain" a team then it's NOT profitable. Charlotte has been trying to get the Florida Marlins to move here for about 5 years but b/c the MLB thinks Charlotte can't SUSTAIN an MLB team they aren't here. And like you said they are trying to make as much $$$ as they can...so they made it the Carolina panthers to get those fans outside of Charlotte......
Spoiler

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension, there, champ.

You said Charlotte couldn't *sustain* a team, and that was the reason to regionalize it. *I* said that the regionalization wasn't in order to sustain a team, it was in order to maximize profit.

I still fail to see how having a team that is not named after the city in which it plays somehow diminishes that city, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I'm done with this discussion.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-27-2010 at 02:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Spoiler

So it's OK to post mis-information as long as it is pro-Charlotte. I'm done.
Spoiler

It is the Charlotte forum
your better off continuing your pro Atl in
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/

each city has there plus both and minus and have their own way handling growth.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Unless you can name name 3 large subdivisions in metro Atanta with vinyl that was built in the last 9 years then please stop intentional posting mis-information. Large meaning 250-300 homes. I can name 20 to 30 in Charlotte becuase that's what is predominately built. And when I say metro Atlanta I mean Gwinnett, Cobb, Fulton, Clayton, Forsyth, Cherokee, Fayette. Throw in Henry, Rockdale if you like. BTW the builders you posted in metro Atlanta - I went to 2 of the websites: Kenny Johnson and Crown and only saw brick and Hardiplank. BTW Kenny Johnson is small builder who's homes are priced from mid $200 to $400. No one will buy a home in this price range with vinyl in metro Atlanta. Why? Becuase there are so many homes, some many builders, so much competition. Competition and supply are the main drivers. And while this produced thousands of very nice homes it also produced thousands of foreclosures. In the Hamilton Mill section of Dacula you can currently buy a 4 sides brick home in the low 200's (DR Horton). And there's plenty of inventory like this.
Don't try to change up. So now you're only taking about "recent" homes built in Atlanta? So you guys tore down all those vinyl siding homes built over 9 years ago? My point was made. Homes with vinyl siding are very prevalent in Atlanta. All those builders I posted have built them. And BTW, your comment regarding those luxury Kenny Johnson homes in Atlanta, click on the link I provided, because you obviously didn't before, at the top left you will see in bold letters, "Exterior Features...Three-sides low maintenance vinyl siding" LMAO!!! Whose lying now?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-27-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Are you educated at all?? Do you know what a regional team is?? I never said that about Boston but based on YOUR logic....Im not really an American because I don't live in Washington, DC. I said (and so did the NFL,NHL, and MLB) that Charlotte's population as a whole could not support more than one professional team based on it's population of less than two million. However if a REGIONAL team is created...it's MARKETABLE reach is extended beyond Charlotte to The Triad, Triangle, and SC. That is why it's not the Charlotte Panthers b/c that would alienate it to only Charlotte from a MARKETING standpoint which (as of now) isnt' LARGE enough to support an independent team. That is why NY has multiple teams b/c their population can support it. And why Atlanta has representation in all four b/c Atlanta can support all four. It's all about being able to MARKET the team for broadcasting and franchising etc. So to answer your question NO the Patriots aren't less of a BOSTON team...but more of a Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, Maine team...that is based in Boston b/c that is the "regional capitol" as is the case with Charlotte for the Carolinas. Please get your facts straight before you all try to attack me...
Why must you attack and call people names just because they don't agree with you? That is so childish and rude! People are free to voice their opinions whether you agree with them or not. You've been rude to every Charlotte poster who doesn't agree with your opinions and it is totally uncalled for. I think you need to grow up some my friend! Oh, and for the record, I like both cities, each has something to offer, whatever your flavor is!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
It sounds like a kid is upset cuz they can't party like they did Atlanta. Charlotte is home to international companies and most of these companies are home grown. There options for everything. The reason for the comparison is because they are regional peer cities with ATL being the bigger city. Charlotte looks at Atlanta to learn how not to grow and what Atlanta did to get so prosperous. Atlanta publicans come to Charlotte because our LYNX piece of crap is actually a national model of TOD.
Your quote best explains everything, adavi!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM

8 posts, read 12,522 times
Quote:
But in the same breathe having come from Atlanta where there is something for everyone...white gays, black gays, trannys lol...old people young people...young professionals (white and black) older professionals (white and black) singles, couples, families, jewish, hindu, mexican, puerto rican...etc etc.... I dont see how the people I HAVE ENCOUNTERED can compare Charlotte to Atlanta b/c I MY OPINION there isn't any. So I stated facts ALTHOUGH FROM A BIAS STANDPOINT but nonetheless they were facts w/ STATISTICAL backing.

- I'm Gay
- I'm turning 20
- I'm 1st Generation Spaniard
- I've been to Atlanta
- I live in Charlotte

Are you Gay? Are you Young? Are you old? Are you Mexican? Are you Hindu? Then please don't speak on behalf of other groups of people who are.

I would pick Charlotte any day of the week over Atlanta.

I've been to Madrid, Barcelona, Malaga, Murcia, NYC, Sarasota FL, Tampa, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, DC, Minneapolis, Boston, and plenty of other cities with my mother on her Convention Business trips. So I think I know my cities pretty well.

In terms of street life and such, New Orleans takes the cake for me for southern cities and In my opinion, Atlanta doesn't hold a candle to the vibrancy that New Orleans has. And if any Southern City has the right to criticize other Southern cities for how "boring" a city is, it's New Orleans. NOT Atlanta...

I'd never take anyone to Atlanta, Georgia on vacation. I'd never suggest it.

Atlanta has the largest hub airport in the world, Charlotte has the 4th. Charlotte and Atlanta is blessed to be located in a way where they provide superior connections with few competing cities around. Most of the flights that Atlanta has are mostly connecting passengers... Just like a lot of flights Charlotte has are mostly connecting passengers...

Atlanta has the largest aquarium, Charlotte has the largest man made White Water Center. I personally rather have a white water center. If I wanna look at Fish, I'll just go to Myrtle Beach and go to Ripleys (which I would much rather go to Myrtle than Atlanta). Likewise, you can drive to the mountains to go rafting.

Atlanta & Charlotte - while comparable - are 2 different cities with both having great things going for them. But I really don't feel like hearing any over-zealous person from a 2nd Teir Southeastern regional city compare itself to world class cities such as Madrid, Rome, Paris, Tel Aviv, Rio De Janeiro, London, Tokyo, Chicago, NYC, etc. etc. while trashing the place I love most in this world. It's silly.

I never hear anyone from Charlotte compare us to ya'll. We're too busy driving on Independence, Brookshire, and 85 staring at our wonderful additions to our skyline. We're too busy clubbing at the epicenter to care about a southeastern US city located in Georgia, USA.

I actually plan on taking a hike down to Atlanta with a friend for the day And I'm looking forward to it.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
So silly. I'm uptown today. Just walked from 6th Street down to the Hilton on 3rd for a lunch meeting. Saw maybe two or three people who were probably homeless. None of them even looked my way. I saw plenty of cops on Segueways and bicycles though.
++++

I walk 2-4 blocks in the heart of Uptown M-Th and have for 3+ years and never been approached or accosted by a homeless person/panhandler. Trust me, it's not because of my scary stature or size, either....The ones I have to watch out for are the sales people who hang out at the stoplights and that I've found far more annoying than any homeless person.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-27-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 06:19 PM

198 posts, read 261,863 times
To compare Charlotte with Atlanta, Charlotte would have to Construct 6 miles of office parks with high rises down Tryon Street, quadruple the number of chain restaurants and generic shoping malls and add three million people to the surburbs to drive on our already overcrowed roads. Then you can make a fair comparison between them.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:53 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Spoiler

Why must you attack and call people names just because they don't agree with you? That is so childish and rude! People are free to voice their opinions whether you agree with them or not. You've been rude to every Charlotte poster who doesn't agree with your opinions and it is totally uncalled for. I think you need to grow up some my friend! Oh, and for the record, I like both cities, each has something to offer, whatever your flavor is!
B/c everyone has attacked me....and once again I haven't given any opinions only facts....this is just a forum....it is not that serious.....and like someone else said.....whenever facts are stated if it doesn't GLORIFY Charlotte then the person gets attacked......different strokes for different folks. If you like Mayberry then stay in Charlotte....please believe me I wish my dads family was from a different place...but bc they are here I gotta deal with it....so for the next two years I gotta bite the bullet....get my straw hat, and start watching Nascar....nothing else to do

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-28-2010 at 01:15 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayBoiCharlotte View Post
- I'm Gay
- I'm turning 20
- I'm 1st Generation Spaniard
- I've been to Atlanta
- I live in Charlotte

Are you Gay? Are you Young? Are you old? Are you Mexican? Are you Hindu? Then please don't speak on behalf of other groups of people who are.

I would pick Charlotte any day of the week over Atlanta.

I've been to Madrid, Barcelona, Malaga, Murcia, NYC, Sarasota FL, Tampa, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, DC, Minneapolis, Boston, and plenty of other cities with my mother on her Convention Business trips. So I think I know my cities pretty well.

In terms of street life and such, New Orleans takes the cake for me for southern cities and In my opinion, Atlanta doesn't hold a candle to the vibrancy that New Orleans has. And if any Southern City has the right to criticize other Southern cities for how "boring" a city is, it's New Orleans. NOT Atlanta...

I'd never take anyone to Atlanta, Georgia on vacation. I'd never suggest it.

Atlanta has the largest hub airport in the world, Charlotte has the 4th. Charlotte and Atlanta is blessed to be located in a way where they provide superior connections with few competing cities around. Most of the flights that Atlanta has are mostly connecting passengers... Just like a lot of flights Charlotte has are mostly connecting passengers...

Atlanta has the largest aquarium, Charlotte has the largest man made White Water Center. I personally rather have a white water center. If I wanna look at Fish, I'll just go to Myrtle Beach and go to Ripleys (which I would much rather go to Myrtle than Atlanta). Likewise, you can drive to the mountains to go rafting.

Atlanta & Charlotte - while comparable - are 2 different cities with both having great things going for them. But I really don't feel like hearing any over-zealous person from a 2nd Teir Southeastern regional city compare itself to world class cities such as Madrid, Rome, Paris, Tel Aviv, Rio De Janeiro, London, Tokyo, Chicago, NYC, etc. etc. while trashing the place I love most in this world. It's silly.

I never hear anyone from Charlotte compare us to ya'll. We're too busy driving on Independence, Brookshire, and 85 staring at our wonderful additions to our skyline. We're too busy clubbing at the epicenter to care about a southeastern US city located in Georgia, USA.

I actually plan on taking a hike down to Atlanta with a friend for the day And I'm looking forward to it.
Uhh...Im just saying that Atlanta is way more diverse then Charlotte and has something for everyone. You don't have to be gay, hindu, mexican or whatever you said to enjoy the aforementioned culture. Atlanta is a mecca for all sorts of people having a large minority population and 3 of Atlanta's metro counties are majority minority. So please please get off me......Atlanta has a MAJOR FESTIVAL every weekend from end of April to beginning of Sept. something for EVERYONE....Please Charlotte is not the NEXT Atlanta or the next anything....it's a wack town in a wack state.....moving here was the BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE....can't wait to move back to NY or Atlanta....places that actually have something going on......YEE HAW.....LET"S GO NASCAR.....that's all we got....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City