Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
LMAO; that's funny. Sadly, I'm a fan-lol. I don't know, my life is pretty boring besides traveling (my favorite past time) so I need an occasional dose of pointless drama from time to time just to keep the juices flowin'.
Hey, nothing wrong if you are enjoying those shows! I have watched plenty of meaningless stuff in my life, too. In fact, I am a film and miniseries junkie and also watch all kinds of predictably mellodramatic mindless stuff on Lifetime. I haven't missed an episode of Drop Dead Diva. And just for the record, that is shot in Peachtree, GA, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
How great it is to have something in common with Manhattan South. You get a gold star for that one......if I can find one.
Well, thank you, Peyton. But all the stars are in LA (aka Big Atlanta).

Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
Big Atlanta lol. LA is pretty sprawly too, huh?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hey, nothing wrong if you are enjoying those shows! I have watched plenty of meaningless stuff in my life, too. In fact, I am a film and miniseries junkie and also watch all kinds of predictably mellodramatic mindless stuff on Lifetime. I haven't missed an episode of Drop Dead Diva.
I know right. The ATL wives definitely haven't made the best name for themselves, but I believe I find it entertaining because I'm also in the Atlanta area so I see them going places that I've been etc. I saw NeNe and her husband Greg at that Atlanta airport back in October, but she was in "diva mode" with her shades on so I moved on. I mainly watch investigative type stuff like A&E, ID (Investigation Discovery), TruTV and things of that nature.

As far as the topic is concerned, I agree that there really isn't that much of a comparison between Charlotte and Atlanta. Charlotte is about where Atlanta was back in the 80's and it's rapidly moving forward. I think Charlotte is more upscale (overall) than Atlanta, but Atlanta is very upscale in its own right as well. Atlanta has more "battle wounds" than Charlotte, but that’s always a product of rapid growth.

Charlotte is the more manicured and upscale city for its size, but Atlanta is a BEAST compared to it. Buckhead is more comparable to Charlotte than Atlanta to me...lol

Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM

72 posts, read 188,335 times
I have spent a lot of time in and around all of Atlanta metro, and it is true that the scale of Atlanta and Charlotte is not really comparable other than to talk about Southern cities.

Atlanta metro is much bigger than Charlotte, the biggest in the South (I'm not counting Miami), and one of the largest in the country.

Being one of the biggest cities/ metros in the country, there is culturally, culinary, economic, etc. diversity that Charlotte can not begin to compare to.

However, being one of the biggest metro areas in the country, there is crime, TRAFFIC, graffiti (gangs), etc that Charlotte can not begin to compare to.

There are many ways to compare city to city, and 99% of them are subjective (How many Charlotte vs Raleigh) debates are on here? Most people are going to be partial to where they live unless they are being forced to live there.

I think Charlotte and Atlanta are both great, if not really comparable, cities. I would love for Charlotte to have even a fraction of the variety of good restaurants Atlanta has.

However, I can enjoy those great restaurants when I visit Atlanta and not have to deal with the BRUTAL and mean BRUTAL traffic in Atlanta.

As great as Atlanta is, the traffic is as bad or worse than anywhere in the country you can imagine. Someone mentioned Atlanta was the size of Charlotte in the 1980's, and they are right.

Unfortunately, the road system (mainly meaning I-285) was based on an idea during the 1950's and it is embarrassingly inadequate today. And it doesn't matter how many lanes you add, filtering all the traffic into the perimeter is a bad, bad idea.

And now Atlanta has grown and sprawled so much I don't know how it could fixed. And I don't think anyone else has proposed a good solution either. Adding a semi belt-line for the continually growing northern suburbs would help, but I don't see how traffic will not continue to get worse and worse...

Sorry, I realize I'm going off on a tangent. Love Atlanta, but would kill myself if I had to deal with that traffic... For people who live in Atlanta (especially downtown or Buckhead) it truly is amazing. For the people who have to commute, I feel for you.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Atlanta and Charlotte are similar in that both are overgrown country towns with endless sprawl (ATL having MUCH more sprawl) of vinyl boxes and strip malls. I'm glad Atlanta has much more of that. Charlotte is concentrating more on TOD and urban development to try and avoid what Atl.....sorry Little New York has experienced. Now that I think of it, Atlanta is very much like New York........okay no it's not. I forgot NYC isn't a mess of suburban subdivisions with a few tall buildings gapped up. Hahaha buy us a round when you pick that mic up off the stage.

I have to interject in this pointless discussion. Atlanta is not filled with vinyl boxes. Atlanta's houses are probably 80% brick and or hardi plank. Charlotte housing is probably 65% vinyl (even if there's a brick face). I hate vinyl but that's just my problem. That's and issue I'm having while doing so potential house shopping in Charlotte. I hate the housing stock.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yes the Panthers is a regional team, but it's based in Charlotte because it is has the LOCAL population base to support it. Do you consider the New England Patriots any less of a Boston team because the name is regional in nature?.
Are you educated at all?? Do you know what a regional team is?? I never said that about Boston but based on YOUR logic....Im not really an American because I don't live in Washington, DC. I said (and so did the NFL,NHL, and MLB) that Charlotte's population as a whole could not support more than one professional team based on it's population of less than two million. However if a REGIONAL team is created...it's MARKETABLE reach is extended beyond Charlotte to The Triad, Triangle, and SC. That is why it's not the Charlotte Panthers b/c that would alienate it to only Charlotte from a MARKETING standpoint which (as of now) isnt' LARGE enough to support an independent team. That is why NY has multiple teams b/c their population can support it. And why Atlanta has representation in all four b/c Atlanta can support all four. It's all about being able to MARKET the team for broadcasting and franchising etc. So to answer your question NO the Patriots aren't less of a BOSTON team...but more of a Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, Maine team...that is based in Boston b/c that is the "regional capitol" as is the case with Charlotte for the Carolinas. Please get your facts straight before you all try to attack me...

Last edited by ajjam; 06-25-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I have to interject in this pointless discussion. Atlanta is not filled with vinyl boxes. Atlanta's houses are probably 80% brick and or hardi plank. Charlotte housing is probably 65% vinyl (even if there's a brick face). I hate vinyl but that's just my problem. That's and issue I'm having while doing so potential house shopping in Charlotte. I hate the housing stock.
That depends entirely on where and at what budget you're shopping. My neighborhood is probably 80% wood siding. There are many more upscale neighborhoods that are almost entirely brick, stone, or hardcoat stucco. Some of the newer mega developments are mainly vinyl siding, I agree.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
A professional sports team (even though they may place a team w/in a certain city...ie Panthers in Charlotte) the basis of giving a TEAM a REGIONAL name stems from the perception that the city itself can't support another team but is a REGIONAL "epicenter" if you will. From a marketing standpoint it will allow a team (Panthers) to appeal to a much larger fanbase (the Carolinas) then just the city itself (Charlotte) where they the city is already over saturated and can't support a stand alone team.
Really? I don't believe thats why they give teams a regional name. I'll admit I don't actually know the reasoning behind it, and I'm sure each team has a different reason, but this just doesn't sound accurate. Your telling me that San Francisco/Oakland are unable to support the Warriors and so they have to be The Golden State Warriors? Neither Nashville, Phoenix, nor Boston are able to support a NFL team? Minneapolis is unable to support even a single sports team with the Vikings, Twins, Wild or Timberwolves? And if they did, could we compare Minneapolis and Atlanta and refer to as Little New York of the Lakes?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:14 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Are you educated at all?? Do you know what a regional team is?? I never said that about Boston but based on YOUR logic....Im not really an American because I don't live in Washington, DC. I said (and so did the NFL,NHL, and MLB) that Charlotte's population as a whole could not support more than one professional team based on it's population of less than two million. However if a REGIONAL team is created...it's MARKETABLE reach is extended beyond Charlotte to The Triad, Triangle, and SC. That is why it's not the Charlotte Panthers b/c that would alienate it to only Charlotte from a MARKETING standpoint which (as of now) isnt' LARGE enough to support an independent team. That is why NY has multiple teams b/c their population can support it. And why Atlanta has representation in all four b/c Atlanta can support all four. It's all about being able to MARKET the team for broadcasting and franchising etc. So to answer your question NO the Patriots aren't less of a BOSTON team...but more of a Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, Maine team...that is based in Boston b/c that is the "regional capitol" as is the case with Charlotte for the Carolinas. Please get your facts straight before you all try to attack me...

So, let me get this straight, you think LESS people would attend the games if the team was named the Charlotte Panthers? You believe that people from Rock Hill, SC, wouldn't buy hats/jerseys/tickets if it wasn't a "regional" team? Honestly?

Did you ever stop to think that the reason none of the Atlanta teams are "regionalized" is because there's no need? What's the next largest city in GA, Augusta? Then where, Columbus? The disparity in the city size between ATL and the next several GA cities probably doesn't represent any marketing challenges by naming it after the city. That's what this really comes down to is maximizing profit, not the ability of a city to "sustain" a team - these owners are business men/women, they aren't interested in sustaining, they are trying to make as much $$$ as they can.

Last edited by hooligan; 06-25-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City