Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 02:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That depends entirely on where and at what budget you're shopping. My neighborhood is probably 80% wood siding. There are many more upscale neighborhoods that are almost entirely brick, stone, or hardcoat stucco. Some of the newer mega developments are mainly vinyl siding, I agree.
Yeah- I've seen houses priced from $300k-$400k with vinyl siding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Yeah- I've seen houses priced from $300k-$400k with vinyl siding.

Yep, and I can find you houses in that price range with vinyl siding in MI, FL, NY, NJ, CT, KY, and yes, even in ATL. You really think this is a condition unique to Charlotte?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:42 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I have to interject in this pointless discussion. Atlanta is not filled with vinyl boxes. Atlanta's houses are probably 80% brick and or hardi plank. Charlotte housing is probably 65% vinyl (even if there's a brick face). I hate vinyl but that's just my problem. That's and issue I'm having while doing so potential house shopping in Charlotte. I hate the housing stock.
That’s not true at all. I have several friends and family members who live in Atlanta, and I used to live there. The subdivisions in Atlanta look just like the ones in Charlotte. They have most of the same builders. Here’s my question for you. “Why” are the design materials so different in Charlotte?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
It is hilarious to me all the people comparing places as if a city is homogeneous. Where we lived in Atlanta is pretty much the same as here. And the only reason is that we are drawn to a cetain type of locale, so we made similar choices in both places.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
That’s not true at all. I have several friends and family members who live in Atlanta, and I used to live there. The subdivisions in Atlanta look just like the ones in Charlotte. They have most of the same builders. Here’s my question for you. “Why” are the design materials so different in Charlotte?
You do not know what you are talking about (as usual). Please look at Pulte, DR Horton, John Weidland, etc.. and you will see Charlotte = vinyl; Atlanta = Hardiplank/brick. It's actually code in most of metro atlanta.

And please pick any subdivison in Charlotte built buy any these builders (or any other) in the lasy 5-7 years and you will have vinyl. Atlanta you will have hardiplank or brick. I just don't like vinyl.

Case in point - I found a house in Ballantyne that I love. Price is about $300K. But it turns my stomach to pay $300k for vinyl siding. And you are correct regarding NY (Long Island). Most new homes have vinyl. I looked at resale on LI $700K (vinyl) Yuck.Again - I just do not like it.

Last edited by mrdkb; 06-25-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 PM

70 posts, read 236,830 times
What ever happened to the philosophy of some may like something and some may not?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Not sure why.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolone6722 View Post
What ever happened to the philosophy of some may like something and some may not?
I agree. I don't like vinyl. I like Charlotte.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Charlotte is a Suburb trailer park with HOA's
im sure Atlanta has the same if not
worse predicament.

Tornado's love trailer parks too most of the homes will fall apart with a Earhquake or Tornado.
Homes are stack on same size lot as a trailer park.

Spoiler
People tend to live above their means too. Credit cards should not be a part of the budget.
If you balance your pay check, set up online bill pay, set X amount of cash and live off
that til your next pay. Track what you buy and determine is it a want (wish for)
or necessity .
This how someone on a fixed income out in the country lives.

I was in Lowes in Denver and saw alot of wants.

The blinds that can be pulled up or down was cool so was the
texture carpet (fancy name) we call it shag carpet.

We should appreciate what each city offers, accept the Differences
and learn the culture new and old of both cities.
Atlanta and Charlotte we are all neighbors; We may need each other
during a crisis.

Alot of us from North & South have great great grand parents who fought
the America Revolutionary war.
accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference

Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
In fact, you drive through any suburb of any city these days, and they all look alike to me.

Hubby and I travel a lot and we remark on this regularly. Doesn't matter if we are in the midwest or the south - the houses and lots and subdivisions all look about the same. Maybe the trees and landscaping are different, depending on growing zone, but the houses are the same. Why? Cause national builders are the same, as Carolina Blue pointed out.

I am in an older, established neighborhood in south Charlotte. There are mostly all brick homes in my hood. We have a few for sale. Come on over! Nice quiet neighborhood, cultural and ethnic diversity, safe area. We are not a manufactured subdivision, tho, with community pools and clubhouse. So if that is what you want, you won't find that . . . but you will find nice solid houses on 1/2 acre lots.

It is here in Charlotte, just like it is in Atlanta, but it isn't in the majority of new subdivisions - in ANY city's burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City