Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
North Carolina vs. Georgia

Which state appears to have set itself to higher standards? I rest my case.
What case?? Your post makes absolutely no sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
North Carolina vs. Georgia

Which state appears to have set itself to higher standards? I rest my case.
Call me stupid, but I don't get your point. Pls explain so I can understand why road signs represent something about "higher standards."

Road signs are very expensive, I do know that. Back in the 80s I did a newspaper article on the cost of road signs and even smallish highway signs cost $65K - and that was maybe 25 years ago.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, the latest stats I have seen give ATL an MSA of over 6 million folks, I believe.

So Charlotte would have to add not only millions to its burbs, but several more million to its outlying areas as well.

That is not going to happen any time soon, lol. It won't even happen in 20 years -- the infrastructure in Charlotte can barely sustain what is already here. Plus, with the budget out of control, services are actually being cut-back, reduced or curtailed. That is not a climate for growth.
FYI....
Atlanta's population of 5-6 million people includes 25-35 counties, and if you compare the same size area of central North Carolina you'll easily find 6 million people if not more.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
FYI....
Atlanta's population of 5-6 million people includes 25-35 counties, and if you compare the same size area of central North Carolina you'll easily find 6 million people if not more.
Okay. And NC has 100 counties. Your point is?

I don't decide what comprises any metro's MSA. I am just sharing what the latest MSA stats are. If you don't like the way they are comprised . . . you'll have to take that up with the feds.

ETA: population estimates in 2009 were that ALL OF NC was less than 9.5M folks. Common sense stands to reason that 6 million of them are not living exclusively in the counties surrounding MECK. This is not rocket science.

Have you ever been to NC? We have Raleigh, Winston, Greensboro, Durham . . . unlike Georgia, we have more than one major city. Not that I am knocking Georgia! I dearly LOVE Savannah - have family there. And Atlanta is a great place to visit. Just don't want to fly in there.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Call me stupid, but I don't get your point. Pls explain so I can understand why road signs represent something about "higher standards."

Road signs are very expensive, I do know that. Back in the 80s I did a newspaper article on the cost of road signs and even smallish highway signs cost $65K - and that was maybe 25 years ago.
Georgia doesn't even have overhead signage at interstate junctions, much less lighting on the signs. NC builds new highways decades BEFORE they're actually needed. Georgia should have started building another loop around atlanta, widening GA400, and providing an alternate to the 75/85 connector many years ago.

I grew up in NC and have spent 8 years in Georgia. NC is smarter, more progressive, more proactive, and holds itself to much higher standards than just about any other state in the country. Georgia can barely keep the electricity on...

Examples:
NC awarded $545million for high speed rail. Georgia - $0
Georgia always cites NC's success in luring business and industry
Oil on the east coast? Look at this:
N.C. is prepared if oil washes ashore - State - NewsObserver.com
I could go on and on.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
^ I think I get it. Archhitect realizes we hold it down here in NC. We're still workin on SC
but don't tell them that. Lol.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Amazing post

Quote:
Georgia doesn't even have overhead signage at interstate junctions, much less lighting on the signs. NC builds new highways decades BEFORE they're actually needed. Georgia should have started building another loop around atlanta, widening GA400, and providing an alternate to the 75/85 connector many years ago.

I grew up in NC and have spent 8 years in Georgia. NC is smarter, more progressive, more proactive, and holds itself to much higher standards than just about any other state in the country. Georgia can barely keep the electricity on...

Examples:
NC awarded $545million for high speed rail. Georgia - $0
Georgia always cites NC's success in luring business and industry
Oil on the east coast? Look at this:
N.C. is prepared if oil washes ashore - State - NewsObserver.com
I could go on and on.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
FYI....

Actually, there are only TWO counties within the city limits of Atlanta - Fulton and DeKalb counties.

There are apparently about 14 METRO counties surrounding Atlanta.

Atlanta Counties - Atlanta.com

However, I fail to see why that should either interest of impress anyone here in Charlotte?'

As has been oft stated - the people of Charlotte ARE HAPPY not to be so overinflated and humongous as Atlanta. Glad ya'll are happy over there, but we're definitely not wanting to be another Atlanta over here.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Spoiler
This thread is pointless

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-29-2010 at 01:24 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
This thread is pointless
Ain't that the truth!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-29-2010 at 01:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City