Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I have never heard this argument when I lived in Atlanta. But now that I live here in Charlotte I hear it all the time. Honestly there is NO COMPARISON!!! Atlanta is a top world performer with cities like Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc.
Hopefully you realize the irony here, that people in Atlanta compare themselves to Chicago, SF, and New York - yet people in these cities do not consider Atlanta to be in the same league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,468 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
As a poet, let me just say Charlotte offers plenty in the poetry department. Same with jazz. Southend alwys has live bands and NoDa has several venues which allow for creative expression, including poetry. Ajjam, I think your problem is one even many Charlotteans have, much of what Charlotte offers folks don't know about.
Why is this a Spoiler? We are taking about the City of Charlotte and why people compare two Southern Cities - which involves night life and entertainment. The post (above) says there's plently in the area's he specified. I would like to know so I can go.

adavi215 - I agree with this. So here is an opportunity to to say what it offers in the areas you mentioned. Let's start with -
Poetry = where? when? how often? this week?

Jazz = where? when? how often? this week?

You said several venues so I am hoping to have several options this week.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Spoiler

Screen on the Green - Free movies at Piedmont Park (Dreamgirls, Transformers 2 to name a few)

Gay Pride events (3 largest celebration in the US after only San Fran and NY)

Peachtree Road Race World's LARGEST 10k

Go to a symphony orchestra or opera

Go to any MAJOR LEAGUE sporting event

World Class broadway plays at the Fox Theater

Botanical Gardens

Sambuca Jazz Cafe (you said Jazz is lame but and not fast paced but like i said Atl has something for everyone)

National Black Arts Festival (World's Largest Black Festival featuring art from some of the world's premier artists)

Atlanta Greek Festival

4th of July Events: The South's Biggest Display of Fireworks at Centennial Park (600,000 people) The South's Second Biggest Firework display Lennox Sq (350,000) wow that's almost 1 million people at only two events. Name a Charlotte event that attracts at least half a million

German Bierfest

Out on Film Atlanta's Gay Film Festival

there are about 50 more including Latino Festivals, Jewish Festivals, Free Summer Concerts at Centennial Park, Jazz on Wednesdays.......
You do know that Charlotte has all of these too, right? I think maybe you're too busy complaining to notice. I don't understand your challenge to name an event in Charlotte that attracts 500,000 people. It's not as big of a city, so the events are much less crowded. It's a win-win if you ask me. Why would anyone want to go watch fireworks with 600,000 people? It makes me feel claustrophobic and dirty just thinking about it.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,482 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Spoiler

Hopefully you realize the irony here, that people in Atlanta compare themselves to Chicago, SF, and New York - yet people in these cities do not consider Atlanta to be in the same league.
Globally Atlanta is right where SF is Atlanta is a beta+ city along with SF.. I'll post stats lata..

Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post

Globally Atlanta is right where SF is Atlanta is a beta+ city along with SF.. I'll post stats lata..

i don't care about anybody's stats. the things that are important cannot be quantified, anyway. the point is that people who live in those cities don't consider Atlanta in their ballpark.

therefore, i find the OP's comments to be amusing. he can't figure out why Charlotte compares itself to Atlanta, while at the same time he tries to compare Atlanta to other, better cities.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You do know that Charlotte has all of these too, right? I think maybe you're too busy complaining to notice. I don't understand your challenge to name an event in Charlotte that attracts 500,000 people. It's not as big of a city, so the events are much less crowded. It's a win-win if you ask me. Why would anyone want to go watch fireworks with 600,000 people? It makes me feel claustrophobic and dirty just thinking about it.
Maybe you should ask the all the people that go.. How many festivals does charlotte have during the summer... ? I know u guys just had your first ever Jazz fest... What's. The bohemian and indie music scene like in Charlotte..

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't care about anybody's stats. the things that are important cannot be quantified, anyway. the point is that people who live in those cities don't consider Atlanta in their ballpark.
This is not about opinion and what people feel.. It's about fact, and the fact is globally Atlanta is ranked right with SF.. So if that's how they feel there entitled to that and if you don't care. That's fine But facts or facts.

Now back to why Charlotte and Atlanta are Compared..

There are basic similarities in these 2 cities... Similarities that u can compare to any medium sized city..
So yes they can compare just on a smaller scale..

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Here are nine pages of stuff to do: View all Charlotte North Carolina Events

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
What's with videos of the hip hop girl basically assaulting an elderly lady?

To a previous poster, yep we're older at 40, not really interested in cutting edge night life, been there, done that...

But we travel a lot and are only one flight away from most of the US or Europe.

Enjoy your chaos on MARTA.
I've ridden subways/trains from LA to most of western Europe and have never seen such craziness as ATL's MARTA.
Have experienced first hand.

London, NYC, & Paris are tame by comparison.
Munich is completely void of such ridiculous acts.

Last edited by mullman; 06-30-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
This is not about opinion and what people feel.. It's about fact, and the fact is globally Atlanta is ranked right with SF
that atlanta is of a certain population, or square mileage, is a fact, and IMO totally irrelevant.

that atlanta is of a certain quality, is a matter of opinion, and seems to be the issue the OP is asking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City