Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Here are nine pages of stuff to do: View all Charlotte North Carolina Events
Thanks I'll have to read the reviews on some of these places..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Near the University area and Hickory Grove area is a place called Lava Java, it's a nice coffe house that has poetry and jazz sessions from time to time. I think the House of Jazz is still in the University Area. In Southend their are several places near East/West Blvd. In NoDa, pretty much pick a place and you'll see something.

I'm sure Atlanta has way more than what I named. But even what I named Charlotte has more. Their are several underground poetry societies, of which I am starting one, that do several events. Keep your eyes on CPCC, JCSU, Queens University, and UNCC campuses to hear more about these societies.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Spoiler
I agree w/you Adavi, and would like to add that in addition to the nine pages of events I posted, there are many more that aren't on that list. I didn't see the symphony's summer pops on the list (free outdoor event), nor any of the weekly concerts at the different shopping areas such as Stonecrest, Blakeney, Birkdale, Rivergate, etc. There are also weekly concerts/festivals in Tega Cay (free). My neighborhood even has monthly free concerts, and I know Baxter Village does sometimes as well. There are also free outdoor movies several times a summer in Ballantyne.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Yep its going to still become a very dull boring city, If you guys dont start attracting more variety of events and venues for young professionals in that area.. When you do this maybe they will stop coming down to Atlanta as a getaway to have some fun....
Apparently you know very little about Charlotte because we do quite well in that area already. I can cite CIAA for starters, which actually attracts folks from Atlanta.

Quote:
Budweiser Superfest with Anthony Hamilton, KEM, Jaheim and Raheem DeVaughn at Chastain Park on August 20th. Concert Tickets and Concert Tour Dates | Official Live Nation Site
Anthony Hamilton is from Charlotte, LOL. And those other artists we've had here plenty of times. You act like we don't get concerts with big-named artists. Damn, do you think we're a metro area of 300,000 or something????? Seriously, this is borderline ignorance here.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
And I thank God every day I wasn't born in South Carolina. :P
If you knew anything about the history of Charlotte, which puts North Carolina on the map in several ways, you'd know that Charlotte wouldn't be half the city it is if it weren't for past and present business and political leaders who were/are native South Carolinians from Edward Dilworth Latta to D.A. Tompkins to Harvey Gantt to Hugh McColl.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I actually don't have a problem w/ Charlotte....is close to Atlanta not a bad drive from the DC area. Charlotte is a great city. I do like it here....just wish there was WAAYYY more to do. That is my only problem. Atlanta is wayyy to spread out everyone knows that. Charlotte would be smart to build a center core. Have a grid pattern layout. Look to the Northeast for this (b/c they are the best when it comes to this) Typically in the south cities are spread out.

Charlotte is a cool city. Clean, new, little queen thing on every street sign. Major streets are very easy to navigate, with turn lanes. Great place....just have more to do.

My real issue with Charlotte is the lack of turn signal usage. Sheesh....People here don't know what a turn signal is
I suppose my problem is why are you expecting Charlotte to offer the exact same things that Atlanta does when Charlotte is much smaller? YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE UNREALISTIC. Except for a unique city like New Orleans, Charlotte is pretty much right where it needs to be in terms of things to do for a city this size.

For the 4th of July, how about you check out Red, White, and Boom or the celebration at the US National Whitewater Center on that Saturday.

And just for the record, I'm not that much older than you (30) and I'm always finding things to do around here. For instance, this weekend I'm attending an NPHC cookout in Rock Hill (I'm Greek, so that does expand my social circle a bit) and on Sunday I will either hit up Carowinds (I'm a season pass holder and can bring a friend for $20) or will attend a Gospel concert that will preface a weeklong youth church convention coming to Charlotte that will bring several thousand people here (AIM - Auxiliaries In Ministries). And then I've also got the options for the 4th of July celebrations going on.

For poetry, you might want to check this site out: SlamCharlotte - Schedule of Events/SlamCharlotte Criteria

Since Charlotte is smaller than Atlanta, you might have to do a little more research in terms of finding things to do, but trust me, there ARE things here to do. And please stop with all the NASCAR references, because it's getting old. It's a bit funny though that Atlanta wanted the Hall of Fame that Charlotte eventually won, so even your preferred city sees the benefits of the NASCAR industry.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
"Charlotte would be smart to build a center core. Have a grid pattern layout. Look to the Northeast for thisCharlotte would be smart to build a center core. Have a grid pattern layout. "

Have this poster been uptown?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Spoiler

Apparently you know very little about Charlotte because we do quite well in that area already. I can cite CIAA for starters, which actually attracts folks from Atlanta.

Anthony Hamilton is from Charlotte, LOL. And those other artists we've had here plenty of times. You act like we don't get concerts with big-named artists. Damn, do you think we're a metro area of 300,000 or something????? Seriously, this is borderline ignorance here.

I never said that you guys dont have nothing to do or dont get concerts or anything.. Its not consistant, and the energy isnt there... Every medium to major city gets those.. Atlanta is consistant with music venues, from gospel Indie rock R&B and Hip Hop. Most of the people in the music industries come to Atlanta to record. Anthony Hamilton Left Charlotte to persue in NYC..There are plenty of Upscale lounges clubs, bars, strip clubs and Underground clubs here. There are outlet shows like Sunday best, Soul Train Music Awards, and Hip hop awards.. CIAA is Doesnt even compare to the Countless sporting events that Atlanta has hosted. Where alot of people from ALL over the country have attened and Overseas... If your greek then you missed out on the Big Greek( frat) then you missed to the big annually greek festival that was held 2 weekends ago here in Atlanta...

2 super bowls
Baseball, hockey and NBA all star games
SEC championship games
2 final four games, with another one in 2013
OLYMPICS
and hopefully if the USA wins the chance to hold World Cup Atlanta is in the final Bid to Host one of the Games or the final game..

There are things to do in Charlotte but its much more on a smaller scale.There is way more entertainment in Atlanta than Charlotte hands down... Charlotte wants and has A long way to go to gain that global status that Atlanta has gained... Thats something that Charlotte does want..

YouTube - Jermaine Dupri;Ludacris - Welcome To Atlanta

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 06-30-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I never said that you guys dont have nothing to do or dont get concerts or anything.. Its not consistant, and the energy isnt there... Every medium to major city gets those.. Atlanta is consistant with music venues, from gospel Indie rock R&B and Hip Hop. Most of the people in the music industries come to Atlanta to record. Anthony Hamilton Left Charlotte to persue in NYC..There are plenty of Upscale lounges clubs, bars, strip clubs and Underground clubs. There are outlet shows like Sunday best, Soul Train Music Awards, and Hip hop awards.. CIAA is Doesnt even compare to the Countless sporting events that Atlanta has hosted. Where alot fo people from ALL over the country have attened and Overseas...

2 super bowls
Baseball, hockey and NBA all star games
SEC championship games
2 final four games, with another one in 2013
OLYMPICS
and hopefully if the USA wins the chance to hold World Cup Atlanta is in the final Bid to Host one of the Games or the final game..

There is way more entertainment in Atlanta than Charlotte hands down...

YouTube - Jermaine Dupri;Ludacris - Welcome To Atlanta
I can definitely agree w/you, but Atlanta is so much BIGGER than Charlotte! You can support all of those huge events when you have a huge population. I think for a medium sized city, there are tons of things to do here. It would be awesome if the World Cup came to Atlanta - it's so close by!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I can definitely agree w/you, but Atlanta is so much BIGGER than Charlotte! You can support all of those huge events when you have a huge population. I think for a medium sized city, there are tons of things to do here. It would be awesome if the World Cup came to Atlanta - it's so close by!
Spoiler

Yeah it would be great if it did that way our surronding cities can enjoy it just as much as us locals... Right bigger city more to Do.. And thats the point. There are things to do but, I think things are a lil dull compared to the major cities Like LA NYC ATL MIAMI DC New Orleans Vegas, There places thrive on entertainment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City