Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Why in the world would ANYONE compare the two is mind-boggling...But, Charlotte is not a "Non-destination" city, it's the 18th largest city in America, and is continuing to grow. So, I guess for some reason, you think bashing Charlotte is helping separate the two?
Your right...Charlotte is a great place to live but is not really a place to vacation. That said, I think Charlotte has plenty to do for its residents especially considering its size. You have to remember we are talking about a city in the same league as Memphis, Oklahoma City, Louisville, etc. Spend a weekend in Oklahoma City and then come back to Charlotte and try to say its boring. There are areas where Charlotte could definitely improve but if the OP is THAT bored in this town I think its his problem and not Charlotte's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 20,349 times
Just a few things here. First, your data is not neutral and you use the facts to suit your opinion of Atlanta being a better city than Charlotte. There are plenty of fortune 500 companies who call Charlotte home. You simply didn't include ALL companies in your research because it didn't support your argument. I realize you said INTERNATIONAL companies with WORLD headquarters, but this is irrelevant because those companies generally chose Atlanta to save money, not because one city was better than another. Not having done further research, I would guess that one must do a layover flight in Atlanta in order to travel to Charlotte, so it wouldn't make sense for such companies to base operations in Charlotte. This is the same reason why they don't base operations in New York: it's not as cost efficient as Atlanta. See? I can use data to support any argument I choose as well. This doesn't make my opinion carry any more weight than anyone else's. I actually prefer Charlotte over Atlanta, and have been to both cities extensively (I lived in Charlotte). If Atlanta is so great, why do they have the worst drivers I've ever encountered in the U.S.? Ive personally driven around 46 U.S. States, and the undisputed heavyweight champions of bad driving reside in Atlanta. I never saw a 10 car pileup until I traveled to ATLANTA. Oh wait, I meant to say too many car accidents to count in general.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:53 PM

123 posts, read 157,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf333 View Post
Just a few things here. First, your data is not neutral and you use the facts to suit your opinion of Atlanta being a better city than Charlotte. There are plenty of fortune 500 companies who call Charlotte home. You simply didn't include ALL companies in your research because it didn't support your argument. I realize you said INTERNATIONAL companies with WORLD headquarters, but this is irrelevant because those companies generally chose Atlanta to save money, not because one city was better than another. Not having done further research, I would guess that one must do a layover flight in Atlanta in order to travel to Charlotte, so it wouldn't make sense for such companies to base operations in Charlotte. This is the same reason why they don't base operations in New York: it's not as cost efficient as Atlanta. See? I can use data to support any argument I choose as well. This doesn't make my opinion carry any more weight than anyone else's. I actually prefer Charlotte over Atlanta, and have been to both cities extensively (I lived in Charlotte). If Atlanta is so great, why do they have the worst drivers I've ever encountered in the U.S.? Ive personally driven around 46 U.S. States, and the undisputed heavyweight champions of bad driving reside in Atlanta. I never saw a 10 car pileup until I traveled to ATLANTA. Oh wait, I meant to say too many car accidents to count in general.

Horrible come back lol... Let the chile vent. everyone doesnt like Charlotte and Everyone doesnt like Atlanta. plain and simple.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
With all the things to do, what is the attendance like at these spots.. I's there a vibrant energie in Charlottes nightlife scene.. Is it the type of nightlife scene where people would leave other major cities to come party In Charlotte..?? Vibrancy and energy levels are important it's dreadful to go to a bunch of places and it's dull and boring..
All I can say is that I go to Charlotte often and I frequent some of the nightspots and it seems very vibrant and lively to me, but all of it is relative! My opinion may be different from yours. Everyone isn't going to see things the same way, which is okay, but from my experiences of going to Charlotte, I like the nightlife Charlotte has to offer myself!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Why do people from NC compare Charlotte to Atlanta??

Now...... Granted I have a somewhat skewed perspective, but....I am not a fan of either of these two cities. Ya can't Deer hunt, Duck hunt, Goose Hunt or Boar Hunt inside the city limits of either of them- and they take up a lot of land mass---- Bummer!!!!! Of course, you are more than welcome to destroy the front end of your car or truck by running into Deer in either one of them. Some N.C. cities are starting to allow Bow-hunting for Deer inside the city limits because of this same reason. This trend may become more common place, because, I suspect the insurance companies may well be in favor of it.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 PM

937 posts, read 927,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf333 View Post
If Atlanta is so great, why do they have the worst drivers I've ever encountered in the U.S.? Ive personally driven around 46 U.S. States, and the undisputed heavyweight champions of bad driving reside in Atlanta.
Okay, I'd like to dispute this... From person riding with experience and driving experience, Atlanta probably has the "rudest" drivers, not the worst. Charlotte, NC and NC in general has the worst drivers... I cannot stand riding with anyone from NC. I don't think they believe in the concept of "braking distance" and THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING... NO SLOW DRIVERS. But I digress, Atlanta drivers are just really aggressive, most of the heavy aggressers are probably northern transplants in a rush.
But, shadowing the line between insulting and conversing, this topic is overplayed and usually results in a stand still of "Charlotte doesn't have what Atlanta has, but Atlanta has all of the problems that Charlotte doesn't."
IMO, Atlanta > Charlotte, just because it feels like more of a city. Charlotte really does feel like a giant suburb with tall buildings in the middle. And only people from Charlotte really compare it to NC. People from other NC cities really couldn't care less.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Okay, I'd like to dispute this... From person riding with experience and driving experience, Atlanta probably has the "rudest" drivers, not the worst. Charlotte, NC and NC in general has the worst drivers... I cannot stand riding with anyone from NC. I don't think they believe in the concept of "braking distance" and THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING... NO SLOW DRIVERS. But I digress, Atlanta drivers are just really aggressive, most of the heavy aggressers are probably northern transplants in a rush.
But, shadowing the line between insulting and conversing, this topic is overplayed and usually results in a stand still of "Charlotte doesn't have what Atlanta has, but Atlanta has all of the problems that Charlotte doesn't."
IMO, Atlanta > Charlotte, just because it feels like more of a city. Charlotte really does feel like a giant suburb with tall buildings in the middle. And only people from Charlotte really compare it to NC. People from other NC cities really couldn't care less.
Even people in Charlotte don't compare the two cities - we really couldn't care less either

Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 PM

937 posts, read 927,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Even people in Charlotte don't compare the two cities - we really couldn't care less either
I wish I could agree, but when I say "I'm from Atlanta" to my college friends, the locals immediately feel I've stepped into rivalistic territory. May be because it's around football season.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
According to this map both cities seem to draw from NYC but Charlotte has more lines Spreading across rest of New York and Atlanta has more from Chicago
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ns-moving.html

I think it silly compare the two. Only reason I can think its people in Atlanta insecure
about Charlotte

Old 08-16-2010, 11:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
I wish I could agree, but when I say "I'm from Atlanta" to my college friends, the locals immediately feel I've stepped into rivalistic territory. May be because it's around football season.
HA! If you're framing it from a football perspective there will always be tons of comparisons between the two cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City