Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
It's not me telling a fortune. If you look at the facts, downtown Indy has been more active than downtown Columbus for a couple decades now. Even though it is already bigger and more active than downtown Columbus, it is still growing at a faster rate.

Indianapolis has a huge number of residential projects being developed right now and is also investing in infrastructure. Georgia Street, 10th street, and of course, the Indianapolis Cultural Trail. Not to mention all of the bike lanes that the city has been adding.

I feel the metro areas are seeing pretty much equal growth. Columbus may technically be growing faster, but for some stupid reason Madison County was taken out of Indianapolis' MSA and Brown County was added. It just makes no sense because Madison County actually has a significant number of people travelling to and from Indy for work.
Ya hence why when i count the Indianapolis metro area i always include Madison county. Usually i look at the CSA.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I do not think he was saying CBus didn't have anything going downtown with regards to development. Looking at the projects going on on downtowncolumbus.com and other areas, Indianapolis downtown still has more going on as far as development while already being quite frankly far ahead of Ohio's capital city. That would make it more difficult for CBus to catch up in that regard.
That's not really a development-focused link, so I can understand why you would think that. Try Columbus Underground.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's not really a development-focused link, so I can understand why you would think that. Try Columbus Underground.
Just went through it. Actually very nice site, I like it but my previous comment still stands.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
But make no mistake, if the mall's retail was spread more through the downtown area instead of concentrated in one place, you would have even more pedestrian traffic and urban vitality. Even a relatively successful downtown mall like Circle Center still has had a negative impact. It's not just the design.
Actually, there's more retail downtown outside of Circle Center like TJ Max among others so that is incorrect. As for pedestrian traffic there's plenty of activity downtown. It's everywhere

Quote:
Columbus had malls elsewhere that were bigger and newer and closer to the suburban areas people were moving (prior to recent back to the city trends), so City Center had that disadvantage as well. In the end, it destroyed Downtown retail and barely lasted 20 years.
Well, you see the obvious difference is that Columbus put more emphasis on suburban sprawl mall development shopping where Indy had more balance by not neglecting it's urban core by building another gigantic mall. Give me downtown shopping anyday. If you like suburban mall shopping then Columbus is for you.

Quote:
And your statement that Columbus has no comparable areas is absolutely ridiculous. The Short North and the University District are equally comparable and have population densities that Indianapolis can only dream about (in some cases, more then 3x Indy's densist tract anywhere in the city). German, Italian and Victorian villages are also vibrant neighborhoods featured nationally and also continue to grow. And if Downtown continues to develop at its current pace, and there's no reason it shouldn't that I can see, the advantages that Indy has in it's own downtown will become less so over time.
Short North and University District lack wall to wall dense historic buildings than downtown Indy. Actually, downtown Indy has a larger residential population than dt Columbus. Indy's urban boom will continue because there are more projects ahead. I don't see the city simply stopping in it's tracks just to wait up for Columbus to catch up. Indy is years ahead and have too many projects in the works. By the time downtown Columbus reaches Indy's level downtown Indy will have more.

Let me know when Columbus has a successful downtown this popular.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Cincinnati downtown has chipotle, macys, sax fifth avenue t.j. max and lots more.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Cincinnati downtown has chipotle, macys, sax fifth avenue t.j. max and lots more.

So it offers nothing the suburbs don't already have.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Chains.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM

33 posts, read 93,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Actually, there's more retail downtown outside of Circle Center like TJ Max among others so that is incorrect. As for pedestrian traffic there's plenty of activity downtown. It's everywhere

Well, you see the obvious difference is that Columbus put more emphasis on suburban sprawl mall development shopping where Indy had more balance by not neglecting it's urban core by building another gigantic mall. Give me downtown shopping anyday. If you like suburban mall shopping then Columbus is for you.

Short North and University District lack wall to wall dense historic buildings than downtown Indy. Actually, downtown Indy has a larger residential population than dt Columbus. Indy's urban boom will continue because there are more projects ahead. I don't see the city simply stopping in it's tracks just to wait up for Columbus to catch up. Indy is years ahead and have too many projects in the works. By the time downtown Columbus reaches Indy's level downtown Indy will have more.

Let me know when Columbus has a successful downtown this popular.
Ive doubt you've been to Columbus recently. The High Street corridor thru the Arena District, Short North up to the University District to about Hudson ave, is as vibrant as anywhere in the Midwest. It's obvious the Indy Homers only care about Dowtown and Professional teams and not much else. Indy is a cool city but the Indiana bosters need to get out their state and get some perspective on their city.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASHCOUNTY614 View Post
Ive doubt you've been to Columbus recently. The High Street corridor thru the Arena District, Short North up to the University District to about Hudson ave, is as vibrant as anywhere in the Midwest. It's obvious the Indy Homers only care about Dowtown and Professional teams and not much else. Indy is a cool city but the Indiana bosters need to get out their state and get some perspective on their city.
With all the Sterotype Garbage thrown at our state calling Indiana the capital of the KKK for example which was so 1920s *its 2012 if you forgot* and flyover Country/The corn Capital *Iowa is the capital of Corn not Indiana*
Then i think we have the right to promote Indiana a little bit
Indiana is the Hidden Gem in America and we want to keep some of it hidden but also put us on the Radar to continue our growth and prosperity

Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASHCOUNTY614 View Post
Let's see this past week I've been to Columbus, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Newark, NYC, Hartford,CT, New Haven, CT, Boston, Baltimore, Washington DC, Richmond,VA, Charlotte,NC, Columbia,SC, Knoxville,TN, Lexington,KY, Louisville,KY and back to Indy. I travel out of state more frequently than you think. I say that's pretty good for perspective to tell the difference. Who knows where I'll be next week.

Here's some proof of this Hoosier sees while being out of the state. These are just only a few places but yeah out of the 50 states I've been to 47. I've have more photos of other cities but won't bore myself. Some people in Indy have way more perspective than you think. To top it I've also lived in other countries. What I ideas of have I gladly contribute them to Indy.

Chicago

New Orleans

Boston

Tulsa

NYC

and many many many more places

So yes some of us do have perspective to tell the difference. An example would be that the Arena Disctrict doesn't seem to integrate with downtown as well as Indy's Wholesale District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City