Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post

BTW, what does it matter if being from Anderson, and me calling Indianapolis blue collar? Yes, of course most of Anderson is based off manufacturing (in fact a very large percentage of it), but being from Indiana, and moving to Ohio, Cincinnati and Columbus seem more white collar than Indianapolis. It is an observation I have made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Oh please, Cincinnati has a much heavier corporate base than Indy, and it is much more diverse and has history of having very powerful companies. Cincinnati is far more white collar than Indianapolis. To say otherwise is laughable.
You are from Anderson, Indiana. To suggest you are some kind of expert on how Indianapolis or Cincinnati "feel" is the laughable part.

I have been to Cincinnati more times than I can remember. It feels different from Indianapolis in several ways, but more white collar is not one of them. Is Cincy more white collar? It might be, I don't know. Nothing in this thread suggests it is.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,630,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
OSU was Columbus 20 years ago. Now, a lot could be said to argue against that. And even so, I wouldn't really think OSU was a negative. It has a great medical center, brings in a lot of money, is a major employer, and is helping to improve the entire area around campus. Other cities would kill for something like that. That said, it is by far not the only game in town. We still have Battelle, the Defense Supply Center, The Limited (Abercrombie, Victoria's Secret, etc) Nationwide, Wendy's (even though it was sold, still has its headquarters here), etc.
Aren't they building a billion dollar new medical center in Columbus? And how is that new hilton coming along in downtown? I know is just started construction recently. Those riverfront parks are going to be awesome when finished, especially with those new modern bridges linking both sides of the river.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You are from Anderson, Indiana. To suggest you are some kind of expert on how Indianapolis or Cincinnati "feel" is the laughable part.

I have been to Cincinnati more times than I can remember. It feels different from Indianapolis in several ways, but more white collar is not one of them. Is Cincy more white collar? It might be, I don't know. Nothing in this thread suggests it is.
Cincinnati sure feels a hell of a lot more white collar to me than Indianapolis. But like you said, nothing in this thread suggest it is, but since it was brought up...

Been to Indy more times than I can count, and just moved to Cincinnati about a month and a half ago. Cincinnati is on another level than Indy. Not that it is a bad thing, Cincinnati just has a more built-up character, and the neighborhoods fit well with the city... not to mention the architecture.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Aren't they building a billion dollar new medical center in Columbus? And how is that new hilton coming along in downtown? I know is just started construction recently. Those riverfront parks are going to be awesome when finished, especially with those new modern bridges linking both sides of the river.
Yeah, the campus area is seeing several new building projects. I know at least one is going to be 17 stories, which will be one of the tallest (or maybe will be the tallest) buildings on campus. OSU also is helping push improvements in the Weinland Park neighborhood just east of High St. as well as various other neighborhoods in the city. OSU is like another Les Wexner for the city, and no one is going to complain about that.

The new Hilton broke ground in July, I think, but the cranes didn't go up until January, so it's moving along. I believe it will be 15 stories and 532 rooms. There are also plans to build two other hotels just north of the 670 cap in the Short North where there are two surface parking lots. One will be on the Victorian Village side, and the other across the street on the Italian Village side. Not sure when they are expected to break ground, I think they are still working out approvals from the respective councils.

Yeah, the riverfront is looking good. I believe it will all be done this year.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
... Cincinnati just has a more built-up character, and the neighborhoods fit well with the city... not to mention the architecture.
Certainly, which is indicative of the age difference and settlement patterns of the two cities.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

When the hell did I ever say I was an "expert?" I never did. Get off your highhorse! Now, you keep on laughing there buddy, because your sense of humor is weak at best.

Just because I am from Anderson (which is part of the Indianapolis area), doesn't mean I am completely clueless of the city. I mean Indy could be like Detroit where all the surrounding regions dread and keep away from the city itself. I know Indy, and I have been to Cincinnati plenty of times.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Quote:
Cincinnati sure feels a hell of a lot more white collar to me than Indianapolis. But like you said, nothing in this thread suggest it is, but since it was brought up...

Been to Indy more times than I can count, and just moved to Cincinnati about a month and a half ago. Cincinnati is on another level than Indy. Not that it is a bad thing, Cincinnati just has a more built-up character, and the neighborhoods fit well with the city... not to mention the architecture.
There's an old corporate witticism about Cincinnati that goes like this: "that Cincinnati is the last place Proctor & Gamble executives want to be reassigned to, but also the last place they want to leave after living there." And, after touring the city's nearby eastern suburbs of affluence (East Walnut Hills, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout) and its outlying eastern bastion of the uber-rich (Indian Hill) -- who can blame them? Or, after standing atop the balcony of the beloved Immaculata Church (overlooking the downtown and the river from Mt. Adams) -- who can say that Cincinnati isn't one of the most beautiful, unique inland cities in America?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
There's an old corporate witticism about Cincinnati that goes like this: "that Cincinnati is the last place Proctor & Gamble executives want to be reassigned to, but also the last place they want to leave after living there." And, after touring the city's nearby eastern suburbs of affluence (East Walnut Hills, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout) and its outlying eastern bastion of the uber-rich (Indian Hill) -- who can blame them? Or, after standing atop the balcony of the beloved Immaculata Church (overlooking the downtown and the river from Mt. Adams) -- who can say that Cincinnati isn't one of the most beautiful, unique inland cities in America?
It is, but beauty can only take you so far. Haven't we all met that hot chick with the lousy personality?

One of the criticisms of Cincinnati is that her people are very provincial and aloof towards outsiders -- folks are judged by where they went to high school. Cincinnati also got a bad rep over issues surrounding Larry Flynt/Hustler, the Mapplethorpe exhibit and the riots in OTR. Blowhards like Bill Cunningham only add to the negative stereotype. If you peruse the Cincy forum, you'll read accounts of varying experiences. Of those that are negative, I don't doubt that some came to Cincinnati with unrealistic expectations.

Are any of the criticisms fair? Hard for me to say. I only lived there for a few years as a child. I do enjoy visiting there, but I generally spend my money and go home. My interaction with the locals has always been pleasant, though.

Point is - Cincinnati is a beautiful city set in a beautiful location. But that doesn't necessarily make it the best place to live out of the three. There are many other things people must factor, and none of the three cities in this thread will be the best for everyone.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It is, but beauty can only take you so far. Haven't we all met that hot chick with the lousy personality?

One of the criticisms of Cincinnati is that her people are very provincial and aloof towards outsiders -- folks are judged by where they went to high school. Cincinnati also got a bad rep over issues surrounding Larry Flynt/Hustler, the Mapplethorpe exhibit and the riots in OTR. Blowhards like Bill Cunningham only add to the negative stereotype. If you peruse the Cincy forum, you'll read accounts of varying experiences. Of those that are negative, I don't doubt that some came to Cincinnati with unrealistic expectations.

Are any of the criticisms fair? Hard for me to say. I only lived there for a few years as a child. I do enjoy visiting there, but I generally spend my money and go home. My interaction with the locals has always been pleasant, though.

Point is - Cincinnati is a beautiful city set in a beautiful location. But that doesn't necessarily make it the best place to live out of the three. There are many other things people must factor, and none of the three cities in this thread will be the best for everyone.
Which city is best for everyone? Last I checked, none. Funny you mention OTR. Have you been there lately? The place has one of the fastest amounts of gentrification in the country, and I am looking to move into the city proper. Either in the newer developments downtown, or the city's many terrific neighborhoods. I tried looking into The Banks development, that is all sold out, and looking for a place in OTR requires going on a waiting list.

Indianapolis is a nice city, but in my opinion Cincinnati offers much more. I guess to each their own, right.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Quote:
Which city is best for everyone? Last I checked, none. Funny you mention OTR. Have you been there lately? The place has one of the fastest amounts of gentrification in the country, and I am looking to move into the city proper. Either in the newer developments downtown, or the city's many terrific neighborhoods. I tried looking into The Banks development, that is all sold out, and looking for a place in OTR requires going on a waiting list.

Indianapolis is a nice city, but in my opinion Cincinnati offers much more. I guess to each their own, right.

Beaver, I agree ... while I do not personally prefer Cincinnati for myself, I do recognize that it is a very beautiful city that offers some very unique
urban districts.

I love it's setting amid the rolling hills of southern Ohio, a feature that adds greatly to it's overall scenic appeal.

Indianapolis is impressive for it's sustained growth and emerging city
centre ... but it's setting on the flat plains of central Indiana is not very alluring to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City