Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Columbus and Indianapolis are more similar to themselves than to Cincinnati and are the bright spots of the Midwest, along with the Twin Cities. They're more white-collar and better run as far as metropolitan areas are concerned. I think Columbus has a better built environment and neighborhoods than Indianapolis does but Indianapolis has a better downtown by far and feels a little bit bigger and more upscale.

Cincinnati is the most unique and interesting of the three, but is struggling as a city in terms of its image, blighted neighborhoods, etc. Nightlife and attractions are roughly equal among the three, but if you could take the vibe of Columbus, Indy's downtown, and Cincy's historic architecture and combined them, you'd have one fantastic city!
Perhaps you're unaware of all that has been going on in Cincinnati. The city's most historically blighted neighborhood - OTR - is now one of its hottest addresses, and residences are sold out long before projects are finished. Really, could your stereotypes be any more dated and tired? Cincinnati isn't struggling with blighted neighborhoods any more than any other big city east of the Mississippi. Sorry, but people who rattle off what they think is fact about certain cities and it's really nothing close to reality really annoy me.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Perhaps you're unaware of all that has been going on in Cincinnati. The city's most historically blighted neighborhood - OTR - is now one of its hottest addresses, and residences are sold out long before projects are finished. Really, could your stereotypes be any more dated and tired? Cincinnati isn't struggling with blighted neighborhoods any more than any other big city east of the Mississippi. Sorry, but people who rattle off what they think is fact about certain cities and it's really nothing close to reality really annoy me.
What stereotypes? I was just there two months ago. There's nothing outdated about my opinion; there can't be that much that's changed in a few weeks.

I wasn't even talking specifically about OTR--which is nicely gentrifying--but it's far from a Mt. Adams. And, compared to Columbus and Indianapolis, Cincinnati as a city has WAY more of a blight problem and that's not debatable. Some blocks of those close-in areas like Pendleton look like pure sh|t, much worse than anything I've ever seen in Indianapolis or Columbus.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Depending on taste this is very true
Indy is known for hosting Large Events every year and periodically like the Super Bowl.
Columbus hasnt hosted a Super Bowl but Indy has and will probably get another one later this decade.
To the bold and what follows, I like Indy, and will speak highly of it when it is due , but being good at hosting big events and being a "good city" are not the same thing... They can go together, or even work against each other, please try to see that and get over the childish and sad superbowl thing... That said, I'm not saying Indy is a bad city, just that this is a really odd and dumb argument....

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Every year Indy hosts the world's largest sporting event in capacity attendance in the world's largest sporting stadium IMS and that doesn't even include Lucas Oil which hosted the nation's Superbowl. IMS also hosted opening and closing ceremonies for the Pan Am Games. Indy has more capacity to even host an Olympic event if one where ever held here.
Please see above...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
To the bold and what follows, I like Indy, and will speak highly of it when it is due , but being good at hosting big events and being a "good city" are not the same thing... They can go together, or even work against each other, please try to see that and get over the childish and sad superbowl thing... That said, I'm not saying Indy is a bad city, just that this is a really odd and dumb argument....
Please see above...
We were only stating a fact that the city does host large events every year. What's wrong with that? No city in the world outside of Indy host the world's largest sporting event in attendance in the world's largest sports stadium. The Indy500 hosts racing teams and fans from other countries around the world. This large event happens every year. If Indy can host the 500 every year the Superbowl should be no problem because we have the capacity to handle it. That is fact. What is good or not good is merely subjective.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Cincinnati overall since its the biggest and best skyline, neighborhoods.
Columbus Dont hear much about this place but a great city.
Indy Most popular of the three.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
What stereotypes? I was just there two months ago. There's nothing outdated about my opinion; there can't be that much that's changed in a few weeks.

I wasn't even talking specifically about OTR--which is nicely gentrifying--but it's far from a Mt. Adams. And, compared to Columbus and Indianapolis, Cincinnati as a city has WAY more of a blight problem and that's not debatable. Some blocks of those close-in areas like Pendleton look like pure sh|t, much worse than anything I've ever seen in Indianapolis or Columbus.

Take a drive down McMillan St. in Cincy - that is one eyesore.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Oh, that settles it then. You're an expert.

What a joke. If anyone believes you were in Cincinnati two months ago as opposed to just throwing out anonymous, random Internet lies ... and on this mythical visit that I'm sure had to do with "work," you happened to leave the CBD and travel to blighted neighborhoods that are rarely visited, well, I've got a first-class ticket on the Titanic to sell you.

Liar.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Take a drive down McMillan St. in Cincy - that is one eyesore.

Again, you live in the American embarrassment of Detroit that makes the ruins of Kabul seem like Key West.

Pot ---> Kettle ---> Black

There are neighborhoods in the absolute filth that is Detroit that make me wish I could stab my eyes out with an ice pick.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Oh, that settles it then. You're an expert.

What a joke. If anyone believes you were in Cincinnati two months ago as opposed to just throwing out anonymous, random Internet lies ... and on this mythical visit that I'm sure had to do with "work," you happened to leave the CBD and travel to blighted neighborhoods that are rarely visited, well, I've got a first-class ticket on the Titanic to sell you.

Liar.
Anonymous random Internet lies? Seriously? Grow up.

I can post Street View links right now of the blocks I've walked around in Cincinnati and you would not be able to find anything half as bad in Indianapolis or Columbus.

If you don't agree with someone else's opinions, either agree to disagree, or explain why you don't agree--backed up with facts, not childish retorts.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 AM

800 posts, read 780,822 times
Quote:
Anonymous random Internet lies? Seriously? Grow up.

I can post Street View links right now of the blocks I've walked around in Cincinnati and you would not be able to find anything half as bad in Indianapolis or Columbus.

If you don't agree with someone else's opinions, either agree to disagree, or explain why you don't agree--backed up with facts, not childish retorts.
And in other ways you wouldn't find anything half as good either.

Cincinnati has a much stronger cultural identity and sense of pride than the other two, especially Columbus, which I wouldn't trade for anything.

Also it has about 8 times the history of both cities combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City