Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City would be the Most Interesting/Well-Suited for the Summer Olympics? Post a Poll
New York City 11 6.83%
Chicago 38 23.60%
Seattle 14 8.70%
San Francisco 22 13.66%
Houston 11 6.83%
Dallas 10 6.21%
Miami 6 3.73%
Boston 11 6.83%
Minneapolis 13 8.07%
Other (Post in response) 25 15.53%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM

182 posts, read 314,235 times

Advertisements

All of you that are "team Atlanta" need to really look at the big picture. I understand having home town pride, but everyone knows Atlanta did a sucky job hosting the games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
San Diego
San Diego
San Diego
Chicago lol

Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM

84 posts, read 182,499 times
It's amazing how close of a margin all of these poll cities have to each other.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
All of you that are "team Atlanta" need to really look at the big picture. I understand having home town pride, but everyone knows Atlanta did a sucky job hosting the games.
Where did you hear that nonsense - the MEDIA? There was a huge media backlash against the city because so many people thought that Athens should have been awarded the Centennial Olympics. I was there, and it was a fabulous experience. Yes, a bus got lost and there was a tragic terrorist bombing...but I don't see how that is Atlanta doing a "sucky job". The city was more alive than ever and from the perspective of both a spectator and an athlete it was a very smooth, exciting event; it was also exceptional from a tv viewer perspective.

There is a feeling from some people on this site that Atlanta (or any other southern city for that matter) could never do anything worthwhile, but it's funny how Olympics in other cities are supported by the entire nation. Atlanta was totally on it's own, where Bejing/Barcelona/Sydney/etc got love from the residents of their countries. It's really very sad that Americans feel a need to act this way.

That's all I'm saying on the matter...I've deflected enough ignorance on this subject to last a lifetime and I don't really care if you do actually believe you're claim.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 PM

San Diego!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
San Diego does not have the global status to host the olympics...yet. Hopefully some day it will! But I've always thought San Francisco would be a great city to host it. Maybe not as globally important as Chicago or L.A. or NY but what a great and beautiful city it is. Plus, it has great public transit.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Where did you hear that nonsense - the MEDIA? There was a huge media backlash against the city because so many people thought that Athens should have been awarded the Centennial Olympics. I was there, and it was a fabulous experience. Yes, a bus got lost and there was a tragic terrorist bombing...but I don't see how that is Atlanta doing a "sucky job". The city was more alive than ever and from the perspective of both a spectator and an athlete it was a very smooth, exciting event; it was also exceptional from a tv viewer perspective.

I wouldn't argue the general message of your post, but I am curious how you enjoyed the olympics from the perspective of a spectator, an athlete, and a tv viewer? you must have been very busy.

After Chicago got close to hosting it, I started considering the possibility and I think it would be a great place for the next American olympics. I had to vote for Boston though because it would be amazing to have it in my hometown, although i have noooo idea where they could plop an olympic village. It's too bad 2020 wasn't a real option for Boston, it'd be cool to do on the 400-year anniversary of Plymouth. Maybe grab the 2030 winter games for the 400-year anniversary of Boston itself.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM

52 posts, read 223,786 times
San Fransisco! You just know they would do a good job!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
San Diego does not have the global status to host the olympics...yet. Hopefully some day it will! But I've always thought San Francisco would be a great city to host it. Maybe not as globally important as Chicago or L.A. or NY but what a great and beautiful city it is. Plus, it has great public transit.

Well I don't think Salt Lake City has a global status (Winter Olympics). San Diego is totally equipped with the olympic training center, the weather, etc

Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I'd like to see a Northeastern city finally host a Summer Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City