Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City would be the Most Interesting/Well-Suited for the Summer Olympics? Post a Poll
New York City 11 6.83%
Chicago 38 23.60%
Seattle 14 8.70%
San Francisco 22 13.66%
Houston 11 6.83%
Dallas 10 6.21%
Miami 6 3.73%
Boston 11 6.83%
Minneapolis 13 8.07%
Other (Post in response) 25 15.53%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times

Advertisements

Boise, Idaho would be best. Or maybe Butte Montana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM

84 posts, read 182,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Boise, Idaho would be best. Or maybe Butte Montana
I've only been to Boise twice, but now I think, that would be a interesting choice. From my experience, the road system is pretty good. But then visitors would have to deal with what we call "Idaho Drivers." Idaho's drivers are some of the worst in the nation, and the road laws aren't really enforced at all.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Why would H-Town be best?...What major projects does Houston have going for it?...Geographically being on near the gulf coast gives Houston a advantage but what else? Houston has the facilities to host the Olympics for sure...Its gets oppressively hot in Houston in the summer also...The only Texas city I have seen that has tried to improve public transportation is Dallas. Hell my hometown Fort Worth just got approved for federal funds for a street car system. Dallas is light years ahead of Fort Worth and Houston in that regards. As much as I joke about Dallas not having substance it really is gaining a lot of traction with this DART expansion, street car system, Trinity River project, and uptown development. I see what Big D is trying to pull off and I think they will succeed. I personally think Houston would do a great job hosting it but at least Dallas is mproving its infrastructure.
Because Houston already has the infrastructure outside of rail and the facilities which are more up to date compared to Dallas. That is why Houston made it past Dallas when it comes to the USOC voting out cities for not only 2012 but 2008 as well. BTW, it's oppressively hot everywhere in Texas in the summer.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what about Atlanta in 1996??
I wouldn't call Atlanta east coast. By east coast I was referring more to the Atlantic seaboard - starting from the Virginia coast up to Maine, but including those cities not far from the east coast itself like Philly which are really synonymous/are with the eastern seaboard.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wouldn't call Atlanta east coast. By east coast I was referring more to the Atlantic seaboard - starting from the Virginia coast up to Maine, but including those cities not far from the east coast itself like Philly which are really synonymous/are with the eastern seaboard.
A lot of people make this mistake, but Atlanta is East coast nonetheless.

Georgia is on the Atlantic seaboard, and the entire State is in the Eastern Time Zone.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM

84 posts, read 182,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
A lot of people make this mistake, but Atlanta is East coast nonetheless.

Georgia is on the Atlantic seaboard, and the entire State is in the Eastern Time Zone.
Most of Indiana is also in EST/EDT. But Indiana is not on the East Coast.

Sure, Atlanta is in an East Coast state, but the city itself is about 230 miles inland.

I personally believe that to be considered a coastal city, the city must be at a minimum of 30 miles away from the open ocean or a major inlet.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
Most of Indiana is also in EST/EDT. But Indiana is not on the East Coast.

Sure, Atlanta is in an East Coast state, but the city itself is about 230 miles inland.

I personally believe that to be considered a coastal city, the city must be at a minimum of 30 miles away from the open ocean or a major inlet.
I understand why you feel this way, but I disagree. Philly & Pennsylvania are considered East coast, but there is no oceanfront.

If Pennsylvania and the cities within the state are East Coast, so are Georgia and the cities within it.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
I understand why you feel this way, but I disagree. Philly & Pennsylvania are considered East coast, but there is no oceanfront.

If Pennsylvania and the cities within the state are East Coast, so are Georgia and the cities within it.

Philly is about 45 miles from a true beach but the city actually is a seaport, and although most of the city is on fresh water it does have parts below the salt line, it is technicality but it is definately more associated and closer to the coast than is Atlanta

So the city touches salt water or sea water

on PA vs GA - Georgia actually has a real beach where PA does not - Among the Mid Atlantic PA is the only without an oceanfront. its beach is more simliar to Ohio, MI, WI, IL, IN on a great lake (in my mind if aint salt water it is a lake and not an oceanfront beach)

Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly is about 45 miles from a true beach but the city actually is a seaport, and although most of the city is on fresh water it does have parts below the salt line, it is technicality but it is definately more associated and closer to the coast than is Atlanta

So the city touches salt water or sea water
I know a lot of people don't like and/or understand my thought process on this, but to me if a state has an Atlantic coastline, it's East Coast.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
I know a lot of people don't like and/or understand my thought process on this, but to me if a state has an Atlantic coastline, it's East Coast.

I would agree, GA is more coastal than PA

I think some people when they hear east associate it with the North East

GA is an East coast state, Atlanta is not a coastal city

but for some reason East coast is more associated with the NE than SE

end of the day - georgia is an east coast state

And honestly on the strictest criteria one could argue PA is not a coastal state - though most percieve so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City