Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City would be the Most Interesting/Well-Suited for the Summer Olympics? Post a Poll
New York City 11 6.83%
Chicago 38 23.60%
Seattle 14 8.70%
San Francisco 22 13.66%
Houston 11 6.83%
Dallas 10 6.21%
Miami 6 3.73%
Boston 11 6.83%
Minneapolis 13 8.07%
Other (Post in response) 25 15.53%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 AM

84 posts, read 182,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I am talking about the world map. Most people around the world never heard of Dallas.
Yes, I have to agree with LAnative10. Dallas is a pretty well-known city internationally. I decided to put up major cities only as options for this poll, but remember that often times they have been held in lesser-known places. For example, Squaw Valley, CA in 1960 and Lake Placid, NY, once in 1932, and again in 1980. Those places still aren't really on the map because they just aren't big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Give Dallas a chance, let's put Dallas on the map.
Not true, plenty of people have heard of Dallas. I guess for posters like you who've never really been outside of Texas, you wouldn't know that though.

Dallas would lose out based on several major factors that the OP pointed out:

Quote:
Think about the following things, a good host should have most of these:

-Suitable climate
-Interesting natural environment
-Interesting city environment
-The space and infrastructure to support the games
-Good transportation to and around the city
The infrastructure is there. They have the facilities to host it. But the public transportation would have to improve (DART is decent, but there should be better transportation options to say, Cowboys Stadium)

However, on the other factors, Dallas would lose out. North Texas is one of the hottest regions outside of the Lower Mojave Desert during the summertime. The Olympics would have to be moved to a slightly later part of the year, sort of how Sydney had to do the same thing, since their seasons are the opposite from the northern hemisphere. While North Texans may be acclimated to the oppressive heat, many of them (on this board) can't seem to comprehend just how hot it can get there in the summertime. The way some of them talk, they act as if it doesn't get any hotter than San Diego in the summertime.

Interesting Natural Environment - Ha! There are some nice artificial lakes around the city which can host some sailing events (be sure to clean the lakes from the discarded engines, car batteries, beer cans, and used condoms!), but the bleak prairie landscape around Dallas leaves a lot to be desired. I'm pretty sure in order to combat this, ladarron or Lakewooder will come in here and show those tired ass pictures of White Rock Lake Park, or those pictures and articles about the "Great" Trinity Forest, which is a joke:

The Great Trinity Forest Ain't So Great - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...he_great_t.php

"The latter document's an interesting read this morning, as it plainly states right there on Page 5: "THE FOREST NEEDS OUR HELP!" Which is what Schutze said earlier this spring. But, why come? Well, first off: "Only about 60-70 large trees are scattered throughout the 6,000 acres"; the Great Trinity Forest (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/html/great_trinity_forest.html - broken link) is filled mostly with "small diameter, low quality trees that do not support wildlife or allow recreational activities."

Those make up a small part of a very large area, and are not truly representative of what much of DFW looks like. Maybe they can complete the Trinity River project by then. The Ft. Worth version looks to be way better than the Dallas version.

As for an "interesting city environment," most of Metroplex look like a gigantic, generic suburb outside of its small urban cores (or what passes for "urban" in Texas, since the Houston Inner Loop surpasses either of them, but that's not saying much. Didn't we go through this with the Atlanta Olympics already? At least they have hills, tall trees, and Stone Mountain as "eye candy" for B-Roll. Sure, there can be some great shots of the Reunion Tower or the Fort Worth Stockyards, but that's just about it.

Before I get jumped on by the usual suspects, let me add that I think that a city such as Phoenix or Dubai would be a lousy choice for the Olympics due to the climate factor.

NYC or SF would be great choices, but they have infrastructure and NIMBY issues out the wazoo.

Miami would be cool, but the climate factor (heat/humidity/potential hurricane) could kill it, and the infrastructure is sort of crappy down there.

It would be nice if Chicago, Minneapolis, or Boston could host it.

And on that note, the queen has spoken.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 07-13-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
I think it would be great to see a city in the BosWash corridor host the games. I say this because I think most of these cities are well equiped to host the games, and I think that the infrastructure investments would serve some of these cities well. For example, if Boston or Philly hosted, there would already be great facilities and I think that the transportation infrastructure would be upgraded a bit, which would allow for longer-term benefits for the people in those cities. Also, cities like Baltimore and Philly, that have some tougher areas, could see some nice renovations in some of the run-down areas.

I don't like the idea of a city just hosting because it doesn't get enough name recognition world-wide. I think cities that have a lot to offer (and that haven't hosted in a long time) would be ideal.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Have you ever been around the world or are you talking out of your ass?

I spend half my time abroad. When I mention I am from Dallas, very rarely do people ask where that it. Most people have know where it is and have heard of it even if they dont know much about it.

But back on topic. Chicago would be the perfect city for the summer Olympics.

I agree - think it would be a great city to showcase America

Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Not true, plenty of people have heard of Dallas. I guess for posters like you who've never really been outside of Texas, you wouldn't know that though.

Dallas would lose out based on several major factors that the OP pointed out:

The infrastructure is there. They have the facilities to host it. But the public transportation would have to improve (DART is decent, but there should be better transportation options to say, Cowboys Stadium)

However, on the other factors, Dallas would lose out. North Texas is one of the hottest regions outside of the Lower Mojave Desert during the summertime. The Olympics would have to be moved to a slightly later part of the year, sort of how Sydney had to do the same thing, since their seasons are the opposite from the northern hemisphere. While North Texans may be acclimated to the oppressive heat, many of them (on this board) can't seem to comprehend just how hot it can get there in the summertime. The way some of them talk, they act as if it doesn't get any hotter than San Diego in the summertime.

Interesting Natural Environment - Ha! There are some nice artificial lakes around the city which can host some sailing events (be sure to clean the lakes from the discarded engines and used condoms!), but the bleak prairie landscape around Dallas leaves a lot to be desired. I'm pretty sure in order to combat this, ladarron or Lakewooder will come in here and show those tired ass pictures of White Rock Lake Park, or those pictures and articles about the "Great" Trinity Forest, which is a joke:

The Great Trinity Forest Ain't So Great - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer

Let's Go Camping in the Great Trinity Forest! After They Plant Trees. - Dallas News - Unfair Park

"The latter document's an interesting read this morning, as it plainly states right there on Page 5: "THE FOREST NEEDS OUR HELP!" Which is what Schutze said earlier this spring. But, why come? Well, first off: "Only about 60-70 large trees are scattered throughout the 6,000 acres"; the Great Trinity Forest (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/html/great_trinity_forest.html - broken link) is filled mostly with "small diameter, low quality trees that do not support wildlife or allow recreational activities."

Those make up a small part of a very large area, and are not truly representative of what much of DFW looks like.

As for an "interesting city environment," most of Metroplex look like a gigantic, generic suburb outside of its small urban cores (or what passes for "urban" in Texas, since the Houston Inner Loop surpasses either of them, but that's not saying much. Didn't we go through this with the Atlanta Olympics already? At least they have hills, tall trees, and Stone Mountain as "eye candy" for B-Roll. Sure, there can be some great shots of the Reunion Tower or the Fort Worth Stockyards, but that's just about it.

Before I get jumped on by the usual suspects, let me add that I think that a city such as Phoenix or Dubai would be a lousy choice for the Olympics due to the climate factor.

NYC or SF would be great choices, but they have infrastructure and NIMBY issues out the wazoo.

Miami would be cool, but the climate factor (heat/humidity/potential hurricane) could kill it, and the infrastructure is sort of crappy down there.

It would be nice if Chicago, Minneapolis, or Boston could host it.

And on that note, the queen has spoken.
IF one of the Texas cities were to actually host the Olympics, it would have to be in May and early June. In Houston, May this year was surprisingly very pleasant. Of course, mid June came around, and the miserable summer heat and humidity that I remember about the area came back. But isn't the Northeast going through a ridiculous heat wave this summer? Wouldn't the weather also rule out pretty much every city on the east coast except for maybe Boston?

Anyways, on a general note, I voted for San Francisco. I think the Bay Area would be able to host a fantastic Olympics, but on a similar thread, I remember a San Franciscan explaining that the city has tired in the past, but a lot of complications got in the way and they eventually had to drop out of the bid.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
I just realized Los Angeles was left out of the poll. (Is it because they've hosted it twice already)

Those saying Chicago. I agree.

My second option after Chicago, is Boston.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM

84 posts, read 182,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I just realized Los Angeles was left out of the poll. (Is it because they've hosted it twice already)
Yes. I excluded all cities that have hosted before and I ask posters not to suggest them. This poll is about other cities that would be deserving of hosting the Olympics.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Olympics in miami would be the best

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,715 times
Boston already started a bid for 2020:
GamesBids.com - Feasibility Studies For Boston 2020, Netherlands 2028 Summer Games

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs063.snc3/13052_510318776542_162100014_30479006_3081792_n.jp g (broken link)
Imagine rowing on the Charles, sailing on Narragansett, basketball at the hall of fame, soccer at Harvard, baseball at Fenway, beach volleyball on the Cape.

What better way to show the world America, than hosting the world in the Birthplace of America.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
2020 is a waste of time. There won't be any Olympics in the Americas let alone 2020 that year. The USOC has already said they will not bid for the 2020 games. Might as well take your efforts to 2024.

Can't disagree with much of what O_O said. As far as Chicago. Please do not underrate how humid it gets by that lake in July and August. Minneapolis would be good. San Francisco IMO is the perfect Olympic city. The problem that Houston and Dallas have (including Miami to an extent) is that they would be identical to Atlanta and I don't believe the international community wants another Atlanta Olympics unless these cities improve on transportation 100 fold.

But if any Texas city would hold it, Houston would be best. But they need to wait a few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City