Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose?
Rochester, NY 43 37.07%
Omaha, Ne 73 62.93%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I will also say that you can also say that many people have a very negative view of Upstate NY even in the region itself. So, it's not all roses coming from people here all of the time either.
Good point. This whole comapro of Omaha vs Roch probably looks pretty baffling to those who are not from WNY or Eastern Nebraska/Western IA. The one thing both cities share is a lack of respect from those who have never been to them. (I like em both, but that's because I am very familiar with both.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Population/statistics mean nothing for me. When I go to google and type in "New York state scenery" and then "Nebraska scenery" I get two completely different pictures. This was the prettiest pic I could find(imho).

Some people might not really care about scenery, and I don't really blame people for just wanting a better quality of life/job opportunity, but Nebraska just doesn't look appealing to me.

You didn't look to hard

Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,215 times
Easy - Omaha.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think it is so much insular versus pride.
This is something I have found very baffling ckh. I've seen it from people who I know in the Roch area, as well as quite a bit on the forum.

Honestly from the outside it comes across very unpleasantly to constantly hear how Rochester is "better" than everyplace else. It's a strange brand of pride. Almost like insecurity or defensiveness, which are unnecessary because Rochester really has so much to offer. But it is not the best in every way, and it's not necessarily better than other places because all of that is just a matter of opinion.

The prideful or insular attitude (whatever you want to call it - not much difference in my mind) is kind of a turn off for me when I think of moving there. And I am not trying to say that in a condescending or judgmental way; it truly is something that just nags at the back of my mind.

As for the differences in geographical area of Omaha and Rochester, suburbs seem to be a much bigger thing in the East. Omaha does not have many suburbs, just a bigger area of the city proper. It's the same way here in Albuquerque.

Anyway, your insights are always appreciated, and I hope my candidness is not too offensive .

Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
You didn't look to hard
That reminds me of Western Australia.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
This is something I have found very baffling ckh. I've seen it from people who I know in the Roch area, as well as quite a bit on the forum.

Honestly from the outside it comes across very unpleasantly to constantly hear how Rochester is "better" than everyplace else. It's a strange brand of pride. Almost like insecurity or defensiveness, which are unnecessary because Rochester really has so much to offer. But it is not the best in every way, and it's not necessarily better than other places because all of that is just a matter of opinion.

The prideful or insular attitude (whatever you want to call it - not much difference in my mind) is kind of a turn off for me when I think of moving there. And I am not trying to say that in a condescending or judgmental way; it truly is something that just nags at the back of my mind.

As for the differences in geographical area of Omaha and Rochester, suburbs seem to be a much bigger thing in the East. Omaha does not have many suburbs, just a bigger area of the city proper. It's the same way here in Albuquerque.

Anyway, your insights are always appreciated, and I hope my candidness is not too offensive .
That says a lot, as when many people hear about Upstate NY, they might think of it in a stereotypical way. So, in turn, people from that part of the country might react or act in a way to try and dispel the stereotypes. People that live here believe it has quite a bit to offer, but do those that don't know about it know that? So, I think that has a lot to do with it. I don't think it's so much an insecurity(which is present in metros in Upstate NY), but think more in terms of asserting another perspective about Upstate NY and the metros within it.

As for suburbs in the east, it's not so much that they are "bigger", but our cities are just more dense and do not sprawl as much. You will find plenty of dense suburban communities(usually villages) in Upstate NY too. So, I think there is just more variation in terms of living environments even within what one would consider a suburb.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
[quote=ckhthankgod;15432115]That says a lot, as when many people hear about Upstate NY, they might think of it in a stereotypical way. So, in turn, people from that part of the country might react or act in a way to try and dispel the stereotypes. People that live here believe it has quite a bit to offer, but do those that don't know about it know that? So, I think that has a lot to do with it. I don't think it's so much an insecurity(which is present in metros in Upstate NY), but think more in terms of asserting another perspective about Upstate NY and the metros within it.

quote]

See the OP for Omaha stereotypes.

Personally, I would not choose to live in Rochester unless I had to. I don't want to deal with that much snow. I'm sure it's a nice enough city and I'm sure the surrounding scenery is beautiful. It's just a matter of preference. I actually like the wide open spaces and uninterrupted skies and I LOVE tornado season. I like the lower population density of the area.

In response to the OP, anyone from upstate NY referring to this area as Siberia with the worst weather is laughable. This area has weathered the recession quite well and has a lower than average unemployment rate. Guess there must be jobs here after all.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Rochester for me. Better scenery and less isolated.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,641 times
Omaha Nebraska for me. Much better scenery, more to do, good productive crop land in the area, colder winters and a great severe weather season makes this a easy choice. The western midwest is the best area of the country to live by far in my opinion. I would even choose Langdon North Dakota, the town with the coldest winters in the lower 48 over Rochester.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Omaha Nebraska for me. Much better scenery, more to do, good productive crop land in the area, colder winters and a great severe weather season makes this a easy choice. The western midwest is the best area of the country to live by far in my opinion. I would even choose Langdon North Dakota, the town with the coldest winters in the lower 48 over Rochester.
You do realize that Rochester gets 90 inches of snow on average per year compared to Omaha's 30 inches? And that Rochester has far more cloudy days? If you're into wintery weather, Rochester tops Omaha easily in that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City