Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,254,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817
All please you don't even like Fort Worth. The majority of the time you defend Dallas and put Fort Worth down
LANative and Spade are right. Also, I've never seen Spade say anything disparaging about Ft. Worth, so where that came from, I don't know.

The vast majority of people outside Texas tend to refer to the Metroplex as "Dallas". I've realized people are very ignorant and don't know much about geography and cities if aren't within their realm. I don't think people are intentionally not including Ft. Worth. It's just that they don't know any better and couldn't care less about a silly intercity rivalry between the two.

There are other Multipolar metros with this issue. For example, I lived in Tampa Bay, and people in St. Petersburg (and to a lesser extent, Clearwater) got really angry that people often referred to the area as simply "Tampa". But when the major airport in the area is Tampa International Airport, the Football team being the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Baseball team being the Tampa Bay Rays, perception about it goes a long way. Since I wasn't from the area, I couldn't care less about the rivalry and competition and decided to enjoy all the cities while I was there.

Also, see Tacoma, St. Paul, San Jose, Ogden UT, or the confusion of Hampton Roads in Virginia.

Last edited by grindin; 08-18-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Out of those cities, probably San Jose is the only city we can truly relate to, mainly because of city size.

And what may be "silly" to others is serious to us. Fort Worth actually has been screwed over a few times.
Most recently: TIGER grants

Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
LANative and Spade are right. Also, I've never seen Spade say anything disparaging about Ft. Worth, so where that came from, I don't know.

The vast majority of people outside Texas tend to refer to the Metroplex as "Dallas". I've realized people are very ignorant and don't know much about geography and cities if aren't within their realm. I don't think people are intentionally not including Ft. Worth. It's just that they don't know any better and couldn't care less about a silly intercity rivalry between the two.

There are other Multipolar metros with this issue. I lived in Tampa Bay, and people in St. Petersburg (and to a lesser extent, Clearwater) got really angry that people often referred to the area as simply "Tampa". But when the major airport in the area is Tampa International Airport, the Football team being the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Baseball team being the Tampa Bay Rays, perception about it goes a long way. Since I wasn't from the area, I couldn't care less about the rivalry and competition and decided to enjoy all the cities while I was there.

Also, see Tacoma, St. Paul, San Jose, Ogden UT, or the confusion of Hampton Roads in Virginia.
But the difference here is that the major airport in the Metroplex is the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. The Texas Motor Speedway is in Fort Worth. The Cowboys and Rangers play in the Fort Worth suburb of Arlington. Fort Worth is definitely getting more pub nowadays, and it deserves it. The fast growth there is helping in getting its name out. The ESPN thing should only help further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It gets ugly..... trust me.

Honestly, the only real reason why I care ALOT is because I have ALOT of city pride. It's always been that way and I admit, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the city of Dallas (and so does the rest of my family....)

And Spade is right. Fort Worth hasn't (past tense) gotten its name out as well as other cities. But that's changing. Now I wouldn't want it to be like NYC or L.A. or even Houston, but I do want this city to grow and grow the RIGHT way, and with the leadership we have and current projects in place, I don't worry about the negatives.

And as a native, I honestly don't care we're not THAT well known, but all I ever ask is to just stop calling us "Dallas"..... really, that's all.

I personally like Fort Worth better than Dallas. I was coming back from Azle the other day, and we drove 820 around back towards I-20 to Arlington on the way back. I-820 is one very nice (close to scenic?) ride. All you see to the west are big hills and wide open rolling prairie. You don't get that on the Dallas side (say, 635).

Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But the difference here is that the major airport in the Metroplex is the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. The Texas Motor Speedway is in Fort Worth. The Cowboys and Rangers play in the Fort Worth suburb of Arlington. Fort Worth is definitely getting more pub nowadays, and it deserves it. The fast growth there is helping in getting its name out. The ESPN thing should only help further.

As if I didn't know any of that.

Up until last year, the Cowboys had been playing in Irving since the 1970s. Althought it's considered a mid-city by some, it's generally thought of as a suburb of Dallas.

All I was explaining was that DFW is not the only major metropolitan area where the "other" major city in the metro gets the shaft in terms of recognition from people who aren't familiar with the area. This could be due to a number of factors, but geographical ignorance seems to be a major one.

I'm glad Ft. Worth is getting some recognition in the national spotlight for the Super Bowl. What's good for Ft. Worth is good for the Metroplex as a whole as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by grindin; 08-18-2010 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
I just think Tampa wasn't the best example. Minneapolis-St. Paul would have been better.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No... but I hear that ALL the time. And just to let you know, that's as bad as saying that Fort Worth is a suburb.... It's a little insulting, but you'd have to actually be here to understand.
Sheesh, I don't see it as a suburb at all. I just think it's dumb for these cities to have a heated rivalry- therefore I intentionally put it out there that to most people (outsiders), no matter how much Dallas and Ft Worth bicker, it's all the same *hit. That's the irony of it all.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times
Quote:
I just think Tampa wasn't the best example. Minneapolis-St. Paul would have been better.
Or Oakland and SF.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I just think Tampa was a bade example. Minneapolis-St. Paul would have been better.
You'd have to live or be familiar enough with Tampa Bay to understand the nuances and subtleties of the area to see where I was coming from on comparing Tampa/St. Pete to Dallas/Ft. Worth. Even when watching the local TV news, you could immediately tell which one were the "Tampa" stations and which ones were the "St. Petersburg" stations. St. Petersburg natives didn't seem to think much of Tampa and vice-versa. It wasn't as strong as the Dallas-Ft. Worth rivalry, but it's there. I was just offering my perspective from living in another multipolar metro that deals with a similar situation, that's all. If it wasn't "good" enough for you, so be it.

In case you missed it, in my previous post, I did say:

Quote:
The Bay Area would probably be the closest (SF 49ers, Oakland Raiders, etc) equivalent though. There are people who falsely consider Oakland a suburb of SF. Or that San Jose is a suburb, when many do not realize that it's the largest city in the Bay Area.Seattle-Tacoma would be another example, but since I know nothing about that metro, I didn't mention it.

Minneapolis-St. Paul seem to be generally viewed as the "Twin Cities" and don't seem to have the issue of say, St. Paul being considered a suburb of Minneapolis the way some people falsely think Ft. Worth is a suburb of Dallas. Maybe it has to do with the fact that while Minneapolis may be the larger city, St. Paul is the Capital of Minnesota, so it's recognized in its own right.

Last edited by grindin; 08-18-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,847,811 times
Fort Worth is one of the most underated cities in America. You just don't get this in Dallas. Look at that historic architect. The CBD just doesn't look like your typical Sun belt city. The new street car system is just going to give it more flavor in the future. The TRV is going to take the city to a new level. If we can get a couple 60+ towers downtown that would really make my day. Cities like Portland and San Fran often get glorfied because of its uniquness but Fort Worth offers some charm as well. We are just overlooked but the blame should be put on Fort Worth for not showcasing the city to the world.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
That is exactly why I didn't bring up Minneapolis-St. Paul. Most people know that area as the Twin Cities. That's how the market it. Not to mention that St. Paul has a stronger identity that it is the political capital of it's state. When you look at it, MSP is not a good comparison with DFW.

Quote:
But the Dallas Cowboys play in what many perceive as a suburb of Dallas. People don't know much less care that it is a suburb of Fort Worth seeing as how people think Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas itself. The Texas Rangers only moved to Arlington because of it's close proximity to Dallas in 1970 considering at the time, it was 8th largest city in the nation that year and Fort Worth was 33rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City