Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Some of your comparisons are so far off i can't take this seriously
Which ones?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Edit
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Tampa - Miami
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Cleveland
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Huntsville - Birmingham
Lexington - Louisvlle
Pittsburgh - Philly
Tucson - Phoenix
I see Huntsville as overtaking Bham, maybe 10-20 years from now. Everything else, maybe next century. Especially Greensboro overtaking Charlotte or Raleigh. If you're talking about cities, I seriously doubt that EVER happening. If you're going by metros, the Triad has a slim possibility of overtaking theTriangle. The Triad is transforming to new industries, it's old ones of textiles, furniture, and tobacco are definitely struggling. It has some new higher ed research facilities, and its airport is expanding. But still, the Triad is a great area.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see Huntsville as overtaking Bham, maybe 10-20 years from now.
Oh nah, it will take a bit longer than that. Huntsville's metro is less than 500K, Birmingham's is over a million. I'm not sure how far Huntsville will be able to go with mainly government/government-dependent businesses driving the economy, particularly in the absence of a really good university, but it's certainly doing well for itself now.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,944 times
NYC aside, I think Rochester is overtaking Buffalo as the #1 of the upstate cities. Its economy is larger already, its population is catching up (i.e. shrinking at a slower rate), and it has a more stable/educated workforce.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Never. Rapid City is a pretty middle-of-the-road tourist destination. Sioux Falls however is one of the fastest growing cities in America. And it's lax banking rules and regulations allow for companies to locate there, thus having a large employment pool.

I'm looking for Sioux Falls to take over Des Moines
I'd agree with the first part, but not about Des Moines.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
the term "Outshine" needs to be better defined for one thing...

the Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia

Pittsburgh and Philly are equal as far as the attention they get from the state as a whole....neither one gets more than the other...because rural PA hates them both....

Neither one has the type influence over PA the way NYC has over NY or Boston has over MA....

Philadelphia also has the problem of being overshadowed by NYC and DC it so it doesnt get that much more (if any) exposure than Pittsburgh national...Also Philadephia needs a friggin mayor that cares more about Philly than just friggin Center City...Seriously...Philly's border dont stop at the rivers or Washington and Spring Garden...Philadelphia also needs to get its Crime problem under control if its ever to be taken seriously.

Pittsburgh - Doesn't have the crime problem, or the overshadowed problem....its problem is its past reputation...People still associate the city with the 1950's - 1980's which couldnt be further from the truth of present day Pittsburgh...Pittsburgh is Very Underrated so much so it makes it hard for the Burgh...
And ironically, Pgh. had a worse reputation when it was twice the size it is now! Kinda flies in the face of what many of the mine's-bigger-than-yours posters post in this forum!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see Huntsville as overtaking Bham, maybe 10-20 years from now. Everything else, maybe next century. Especially Greensboro overtaking Charlotte or Raleigh. If you're talking about cities, I seriously doubt that EVER happening. If you're going by metros, the Triad has a slim possibility of overtaking theTriangle. The Triad is transforming to new industries, it's old ones of textiles, furniture, and tobacco are definitely struggling. It has some new higher ed research facilities, and its airport is expanding. But still, the Triad is a great area.
The Triad is never again going to be as large as the Triangle. The Triangle is growing far more rapidly and it's already larger than the Triad. Frankly, there's a better chance that the Triangle will surpass Charlotte before the Triad catches the Triangle. If the Triangle starts to officially (per the Census) add surrounding counties like Charlotte did, that possibility really does exist. However, no individual city in NC will ever pass Charlotte. The land area amassed by Charlotte has assured that.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Orlando and Tampa are neck and neck, and honestly as of right now, I can see the I-4 corridor in central FL b/w Tampa and Orlando beating out the I-95 corridor of south FL when it comes to economy, population, amenities, etc.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Triad is never again going to be as large as the Triangle. The Triangle is growing far more rapidly and it's already larger than the Triad. Frankly, there's a better chance that the Triangle will surpass Charlotte before the Triad catches the Triangle. If the Triangle starts to officially (per the Census) add surrounding counties like Charlotte did, that possibility really does exist. However, no individual city in NC will ever pass Charlotte. The land area amassed by Charlotte has assured that.
Well, I did say a slim chance. The Triad and Triangle are closer in population than Charlotte MSA and Triangle. They (Triangle and Triad) are definitely closer than Charlotte CSA and Triangle. I agree with your post.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Economically Jacksonville will become a major economic driving force for Florida. Port activity has been increasing and its taking full advantage of new industries coming in. They have a bright future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City