Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What exactly does progressive mean to you? And why can't you be southern and still be progressive without shifting to a more northern or west coast culture?
can you? or by progressing does it mean you automatically become "northern?"

these are things that southerners need to decide, not those of us from the north, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree with you, but you can't bring up El Paso because historically and culturally it isn't and never was southern. Miami and New Orleans historically share the same history as the south; El Paso does not.

Once you throw El Paso into the south; you might as well throw in Albuquerque,NM.
I about 95% agree with you here, JLuke. The ONLY qualification (and very trivial, even if historically relevant) is that El Paso and county actually at one time in history, had a solid Southern presence. It went for secession, erected a Confederate monument on the courthouse grounds, and, for a time, was a town mostly populated by migrating "drifters and gunfighters" from the eastern parts of the South.

With that said though, no question El Paso and the trans-pecos in general cannot be classifed as Southern today, by even the largest leaps of imagination! LOL

Old 08-29-2010, 01:48 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
can you? or by progressing does it mean you automatically become "northern?"

these are things that southerners need to decide, not those of us from the north, to be honest.
I want to know what progressing means to you first. Because I see that term thrown around a lot by those that claim to be progressive, then I find they are just as judgemental of others as anybody else. Personally I hate that term.

I can tell you what I think progressive SHOULD mean. But very rarely does it live up to that.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
southerners don't agree on the south or what it means to be southern. lol. (i already knew this)
part of the problem is that SOME of you guys believe in (IMHO) outdated stereotypes of the south. you buy into them and feel like certain cities don't "feel" southern because they don't fit the stereotype.

lets flip that. how would you feel if i said that the south was full of backwards ppl from the middle of nowhere, and is boring, has no places to have fun, no nightlife, no real diversity, etc. etc.

what if *i* bought into that stereotype? how then would you defend the south and tell me that what i was saying was not true?

see, IMHO, cities like miami, new orleans, el paso (which i loved), dc, etc. showcase the south's diversity. the south has diversity just like the north. we have ny, boston, philly, jersey city, etc. but the entire north isn't like that. but these cities are still a part of the north. does that make sense?

with you guys type of thinking, cities like houston/dallas, etc. won't remain "southern" for long and neither will charlotte, raleigh, atl and any other progressive city in the south. you guys will run out of cities. by 2111, the entire south will be "northern."
So what if i said the south is more diverse than the northeast would u agree? Since we do have cities like Baltimore which is nothing like anyway else in the south, to atlanta, new orleans, miami, our cities are diverse than philly, NYC & Boston.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Are we headed into another what is southern debate?

Honestly, Baltimore doesn't come to my mind or anyone I know's mind when the word "southern" is brought up. On the other hand why can't it be southern?
-Is it because it's too far north?
-Is it because it's not like "the south" culturally. On that note is New Orleans more like Baltimore or Atlanta? Is Miami more like Los Angeles or Charlotte?
-Is it because nobody considers it to be southern? But some people don't consider Florida or Texas the south.
-Is it because it wasn't in the Confederacy?

See how big of a mess this is?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
So what if i said the south is more diverse than the northeast would u agree? Since we do have cities like Baltimore which is nothing like anyway else in the south, to atlanta, new orleans, miami, our cities are diverse than philly, NYC & Boston.
that depends on if we're talking about ppl (cultures that can be found in these cities) or types of cities (for example a city like miami and a city like...new orleans and then a city like dc), etc.?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Do you consider baltimore a southern city?
No, but if i say its not, people from the Northeast will tell me it is. And the only reasons they'll mention is because of events from a couple hundred years ago. Then they will say is not Baltimore is nothing like the rest of the south, they tell me its because people from the Northeast moved in. Does anyone notice that people in the "south" never never claim Baltimore as one of their cities?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
No, but if i say its not, people from the Northeast will tell me it is. And the only reasons they'll mention is because of events from a couple hundred years ago. Then they will say is not Baltimore is nothing like the rest of the south, they tell me its because people from the Northeast moved in. Does anyone notice that people in the "south" never never claim Baltimore as one of their cities?
Probably because this whole "What is southern?' debate isn't a big issue outside City Data. However, I've never anyone consider DC or Baltimore southern down here. When it comes down to Texas; it always seemed to me that it was southerners and sometimes outsiders who would question it being southern or not.

I rememeber this one chick from Alabama moved to Waco and she went to our school and we were asking her questions and we asked her did she like it here and she goes "It's ok, but it's different from the south". That's when we were like this is the south and we got into a little debate. This has happened on many occasions where southerners from elsewhere would tell us we wasn't southern and we'd get pissed lol

Old 08-29-2010, 02:09 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Probably because this whole "What is southern?' debate isn't a big issue outside City Data. However, I've never anyone consider DC or Baltimore southern down here. When it comes down to Texas; it always seemed to me that it was southerners and sometimes outsiders who would question it being southern or not.

I rememeber this one chick from Alabama moved to Waco and she went to our school and we were asking her questions and we asked her did she like it here and she goes "It's ok, but it's different from the south". That's when we were like this is the south and we got into a little debate. This has happened on many occasions where southerners from elsewhere would tell us we wasn't southern and we'd get pissed lol
Reminds me of this girl I met here at UT last year. She was from Athens, GA. I was talking about places I might consider relocating outside of Texas. I mentioned Memphis, ATL, and someplace else. She said "I see you like the south". I said "Isn't this the South?" She replied, "No, I don't know what Austin is, but it's not the South."

Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Are we headed into another what is southern debate?

Honestly, Baltimore doesn't come to my mind or anyone I know's mind when the word "southern" is brought up. On the other hand why can't it be southern?
-Is it because it's too far north?
-Is it because it's not like "the south" culturally. On that note is New Orleans more like Baltimore or Atlanta? Is Miami more like Los Angeles or Charlotte?
-Is it because nobody considers it to be southern? But some people don't consider Florida or Texas the south.
-Is it because it wasn't in the Confederacy?

See how big of a mess this is?
it can be southern, it is southern.

1.Yea Baltimore is far north, it u went strictly by geography & climate, if you moved Baltimore over a 100 miles due east it would sit exactly where Atlantic City (we no NJ isnt the south) is. Also, we average more snow than philly, hell, our snowiest winter was more than any other any other NE corridor city at 83inches (I've done my research).

2. Thats the difference between Baltimore and the rest of the south. NO, ATL, MIA natives and culturally southern. The may not seem that way because people (with the exception of NO) are moving in from all around the country.

3.refer to #2.

4. I dont care about all that stuff that happened a long time ago. Im talking about what it is today. Baltimore's culture has not been diluted my out- of-towners, what you see here is Baltimore's true identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City