Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sometimes I think those do better in a setting immediately outside of downtown, like in Philly. At any rate, you can check this profile out (also from MetroJacksonville.com) to get a feel for downtown Richmond.
Really? Why? I love the placement of Phillips Arena in Atlanta and our new arena downtown. Is it an issue in Charlotte?

The pics of downtown Richmond look great...I had no idea. I drove around there 10 years ago and it was very run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sometimes I think those do better in a setting immediately outside of downtown, like in Philly.
I disagree, kinda. If you have a sports arena in middle of downtown and it is actually integrated into the urban setting vs. a big stadium surrounded by a huge parking lot/garage then it works out. Especially if there is a lot of entertainment and food nearby. People leaving the sports venue would just spread out into the streets and into different places instead of forming a traffic nightmare with people trying to get out of the lot all at the same time. This does depend on the downtown as much as it depends on the arena though.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I disagree, kinda. If you have a sports arena in middle of downtown and it is actually integrated into the urban setting vs. a big stadium surrounded by a huge parking lot/garage then it works out. Especially if there is a lot of entertainment and food nearby. People leaving the sports venue would just spread out into the streets and into different places instead of forming a traffic nightmare with people trying to get out of the lot all at the same time. This does depend on the downtown as much as it depends on the arena though.
Exactly. Orlando's new arena will be located within steps of food and entertainment after the games let out. The plan is to actually revamp Church Street Station to further meet the needs of sports fans and concert goers. Also, since there will limited, pricey parking on site, attendees will have to park elsewhere in downtown and walk or use the Lymmo (free bus) to get the the arena. The old arena was still pretty close to the best parts of downtown but I think many resisted the urge to walk around that area for many reasons. This new one is literally a few blocks away from some good food, and some fun clubs and bars.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Lots of great pics posted of Downtown Atlanta already, but here some of the Five Points district that was brought up a few pages back courtesy of a thread far, far away.

*Disclaimer*

These pictures were not taken by myself (though I will out tomorrow shooting in various ATL neighborhoods) and more can be found the photographer in the link posted at the beginning.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Really? Why? I love the placement of Phillips Arena in Atlanta and our new arena downtown. Is it an issue in Charlotte?
In many cases, those big arenas severely disrupt the urban fabric of the urban core. I think our new arena uptown is more accessible than the old one was all the way out in suburbia, but the down side is that a couple of historic storefronts were sacrificed, as well as the grid pattern.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Lots of great pics posted of Downtown Atlanta already, but here some of the Five Points district that was brought up a few pages back courtesy of a thread far, far away.

*Disclaimer*

These pictures were not taken by myself (though I will out tomorrow shooting in various ATL neighborhoods) and more can be found the photographer in the link posted at the beginning.
WOW!Only in Atlanta could you see a "blinged out Volvo" withchrome and the works!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Hey I respect your honesty and asking instead of just bashing. Did you read the Elements of Urbanism article from MetroJacksonville that I posted about downtown Orlando? It sheds some light on what is so appealing to Orlando locals about our downtown. In any of those pictures was there an abundance of big box retail, chain restaurants, or touristy destinations??... answer no. Now, I'm not trying to be critical of downtown Atlanta, because I like it, however, a lot of it is not geared towards "living". If I'm not mistaken, downtown Orlando has a larger population than downtown Atlanta, and I can easily see why. Tree lined streets with little cafe's, coffee shops, and wine bars. Neighborhood restaurants dotting the CBD's surrounding neighborhoods, and as you mentioned great walkable nightlife. Urban grocery, located next to a gem of an urban central park (Lake Eola), professional sports (Orlando Magic), performing arts (Bob Carr & soon to be New Performing Arts Center), abundance of concert venues (Amway Arena/Amway Center, Firestone, the Social, Walt Disney Amphitheater), higher education in the city core (UCF and Valencia branch campuses & Florida A&M College of Law), true cultural district (ViMi aka Little Siagon), tons of residential areas that are still filling up, 12 screen stadium seating theater that caters to locals and even shows Magic games, incredible antiques district along Lake Ivanhoe, and 2 fantastic medical centers (Florida Hospital's main campus and Cancer hospital plus Orlando Regional Medical Center which includes Arnold Palmer) which act as book-ends for downtown Orlando. And finally, a walk-ability score that lots of downtowns in the south only dream about including Atlanta. Now, to give credit where credit due, DT Atlanta has way more "cultural" amenities, higher education and shopping than Orlando, and that's why despite my reservations, I put it above Orlando for overall DT not nightlife. But we've already gone over the trade off in vibrancy due to Atlanta being a much more spread out downtown (bigger).
This is what I think people are confusing.When you are talking "downtown" are you talking in a sense of the "city proper or just the portion which is the oldest or centrally located?You cannot say downtown ATlanta and put Atlanta up against downtown Orlando."Apples and Oranges".Orlando or even Charleston only have one centrally dense area.Atlanta has several.Downtown,Midtown and Buckhead arfe the most popular.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
WOW!Only in Atlanta could you see a "blinged out Volvo" withchrome and the works!
Yep. No baby seats in that wagon. (I don't see any at least)

EDIT... Just noticed it's not a wagon, but it's still a Volvo with rims lol. I've never really been the rim type, but I do like them on certain vehicles (only) like BMW 6 and 7's and some larger suv's. Nothing too flashy though; I much prefer leaving things as they come.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 09-03-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
West Palm Beach. Impressive for a city of only 100,000. These are photos of West Palm Beach from the Metro Jacksonville Elements Of Urbanism Photos of West Palm(I repeat, these are not photos of Jacksonville, there just on Jacksonville Website): Metro Jacksonville Photos | Jacksonville FL

Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
lol, you don't get around the south much huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City