Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Me personally, I have no problem with transplants no matter what region they came from. Most of the people I went to school with were transplants, some of my best friends were from other Southern cities, up North(east), and the Midwest.

I'm the kid of transplants (there are a lot of other 1st gen Atlantans here) and I liked growing up in Atlanta...no telling what my mindset would've been on here if I grew up in Orlando (is FLA Southern?), Western NY (?), or Cincinnati (there's nothing Southern about us?).

The culture? I don't know, the boom started to take off in the 70s ( ATL metro was around 1.5 million) and I was born in 86 so I'm pretty much used to seeing people from all over. I also like hearing about a person's experiences from their previous home (whether it be someplace in NC, PA, OH, or CAit's all interesting). I haven't experienced the old Atlanta but I like hearing the natives talk about time too.

Another thing, with all of the people moving in/out/back again, don't be surprised to see or hear or regional mixes:
West/Mid-Atlantic, FLA/Midwest, Pac NW/NEast, etc (I knew of a lot of people whose parents came from different parts of the country) and I think that puts them at a more objective mindset on things (in the real world of course).
Interesting...thanks! I think that's why cities (no matter the region), once they become large enough, start to separate from their respective states and develop a culture all of their own that can sometimes be quite different than the surrounding area. I even notice that here (MN).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Does anyone else besides me find this person completely obnoxious? He keeps twisting my words, he doesn't read my sources when I present facts. If I present opinions he whines and moans about it if he doesn't like it. He works for the airline industry (or did) and can't add anything more to my question than hurling insults. I may ask some edgy questions or touch a nerve, but I'm usually interested in gathering info, not winning a war.

For the record:

I have given Atlanta credit for its amazing growth, its jobs/economic market, its collegiate education system, its rich African American history and diversity being greater than MN's, the aquarium being better than ours, and so on. I've given plenty of credit to Atlanta and Georgia.

I said the 2 million in population growth had LESS TO DO with education and more to do with empty-nesters and young urban professionals -- a sunblet phenomenon that MN doesn't experience. I never EVER said NOBODY ever moved to Atlanta for education. I don't speak in absolutes for this exact reason.

Rcsteiner said MN schools are better, but that there were a handful of GA schools that could compete with MN. I didn't know that, but that wasn't even my point, my point was that Georgia is NOT reknown for its schools, while MN is.

You work for the airline industry and you can't even admit that the government approved the merger in October, 2008 and some employees already began the move to Georgia consequently. It seems like many more likely came in 2009 and 2010, but I said that the merger had SOME relevance in the MN to GA phenomenon. Then I asked you what you thought it was and you haven't answered, only whined.

Every time you get embarrassed you LOL or ROFLMAO or some other "Twitter Talk" language than teenagers use.
Give it a rest, already. And your little innocent act isn't working.

Anyone that sprinkles their responses when challenged with terms like "punks," "getting on your knees," paper-thin negative references to my sexuality, etc. has ZERO credibility at this point. How else to explain that hardly anyone (with the unfortunate exception of myself) even responds to you any longer?

You have a MASSIVE chip on your shoulder, and it shows.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Me personally, I have no problem with transplants no matter what region they came from. Most of the people I went to school with were transplants, some of my best friends were from other Southern cities, up North(east), and the Midwest.
This is the prevailing attitude I've experienced from younger South residents. It's mainly the older generation that makes it a "north vs. south" thing.

Quote:
I'm the kid of transplants (there are a lot of other 1st gen Atlantans here) and I liked growing up in Atlanta...no telling what my mindset would've been on here if I grew up in Orlando (is FLA Southern?), Western NY (?), or Cincinnati (there's nothing Southern about us?).
I was also born in Georgia (rural GA then, suburban Atlanta now) the kid of "transplants" from the Lower Midwest. My entire family is from the Midwest, and I spent a lot of time in the Midwest as a child, and I live in the Midwest now. Unlike you, I really didn't appreciate growing up in the Atlanta area (understatement, I HATED Atlanta), a decision I regret.

Quote:
The culture? I don't know, the boom started to take off in the 70s ( ATL metro was around 1.5 million) and I was born in 86 so I'm pretty much used to seeing people from all over. I also like hearing about a person's experiences from their previous home (whether it be someplace in NC, PA, OH, or CAit's all interesting). I haven't experienced the old Atlanta but I like hearing the natives talk about time too.
I was also born in 1986. Most of my friends growing up were Midwesterners, born in the Midwest (Ohio, Minnesota, Illinois). I enjoyed hearing about the experiences -- I've lived the experiences because my family's from the Midwest and I've lived in the Midwest for some time.

Quote:
Another thing, with all of the people moving in/out/back again, don't be surprised to see or hear or regional mixes:
West/Mid-Atlantic, FLA/Midwest, Pac NW/NEast, etc (I knew of a lot of people whose parents came from different parts of the country) and I think that puts them at a more objective mindset on things (in the real world of course).
Exactly. My family is a testament to this. We started out in two Midwestern states, and now live all over the country. Although I admit that my past perspectives on this board have been less than objective when it comes to Atlanta (I'm sorry), I'm learning to step back and appreciate my background.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Give it a rest, already. And your little innocent act isn't working.

Anyone that sprinkles their responses when challenged with terms like "punks," "getting on your knees," paper-thin negative references to my sexuality, etc. has ZERO credibility at this point. How else to explain that hardly anyone (with the unfortunate exception of myself) even responds to you any longer?

You have a MASSIVE chip on your shoulder, and it shows.
ATL posters never quit, so I figure they are just busy or they agree and don't want to say anything in public.

.....more like a pain in the a$$ than a chip on my shoulder

Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
ATL posters never quit, so I figure they are just busy or they agree and don't want to say anything in public.

Speaking of things that never quit........

Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:

Please give it a rest. Notice all the other Minnesota posters have given it up. Let the conversation evolve -- you're a great poster, I'd hate to see the mods crack down on you.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Please give it a rest. Notice all the other Minnesota posters have given it up. Let the conversation evolve -- you're a great poster, I'd hate to see the mods crack down on you.

YouTube - Gatorade - Revolution Ad

Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
E-v-o ... L-v-e

Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
This is the prevailing attitude I've experienced from younger South residents. It's mainly the older generation that makes it a "north vs. south" thing.
I don't care for the North/South thing either because it's tasteless and gets ugly real quick. Me, I have 2 reasons why I don't get involved in it: I didn't partake in it and I have Mid-Westerners on my dad's side and Northeasterners on my mom's side...I can't hate family.

Quote:
I was also born in Georgia (rural GA then, suburban Atlanta now) the kid of "transplants" from the Lower Midwest. My entire family is from the Midwest, and I spent a lot of time in the Midwest as a child, and I live in the Midwest now. Unlike you, I really didn't appreciate growing up in the Atlanta area (understatement, I HATED Atlanta), a decision I regret.
No big deal, I don't have any ties to Appalachia but I used to have a bad view towards them when I was up there but I'm past that.

Quote:
I was also born in 1986. Most of my friends growing up were Midwesterners, born in the Midwest (Ohio, Minnesota, Illinois). I enjoyed hearing about the experiences -- I've lived the experiences because my family's from the Midwest and I've lived in the Midwest for some time.
With me, I knew/know people who had parents who came from Detroit, NY, Philly, NJ, Chicago, etc, but the kids I grew up with always saw themselves as Atlantans but there were some things that we didn't buy into. I don't want to sound as if I'm trying to distance myself from the South but most people who had parents who grew aren't from here tended to familiarize themselves with the hometown of their parents. (A friend that I grew up with would always go to NJ on vacations, another would always go to Detroit, another would go to Boston/Fla, me Cincinnati/ORL/Rochester. I have more examples but you get the idea). That's why an Atlantan would sort of get defensive when someone try to push a Southern stereotype on them: It's like, "This is my background, but you think/insist on me being like this?"

Quote:
Exactly. My family is a testament to this. We started out in two Midwestern states, and now live all over the country. Although I admit that my past perspectives on this board have been less than objective when it comes to Atlanta (I'm sorry), I'm learning to step back and appreciate my background.
That's cool, this world is pretty much built on Bias, BS, and falsehoods, so it's on us to see what's real and what's fake. None of us are ever too old to learn. Of course there will be things that just don't click with us but at least look at the whole picture of things, it seems as if you're headed that way.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
What do Atlantans think of all of the transplants its seen in the past two decades? Does it seem like it helps or hurts your culture, lifestyle, etc.? I know Minnesotans have kind of a rude demeanor towards transplants, but it's mainly the older folks who are use to a completely different state that they grew up in.
Atlanta has a fairly large percentage of transplants already, so I suspect it's more open to others. 100,000 a year for the past 30 years kinda makes them a regular occurrence, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City