Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While Minnesota lakes are beautiful, it's a stretch to suggest Georgia lakes are just ugly muddy reservoirs.

Months of 100+ weather? Layoff the stereotype juice dude. South Georgia and Coastal can get hot, but North Georgia is usually 10 to 20 degrees cooler than most other spots in the South (due to it's elevation) and has very few 100+ days.

For example, the current temperature in Minneapolis is 85 degrees. In Atlanta right now it is a much hotter 87 degrees (sweet jeebus two degrees!), and in Blairsville up in the mountains of Georgia it is a hellish 82 degrees. Man, I really wish we could be as cool as Minnesota in the summer....
Then why does your "status" say: "When will this heat end" ?

I've also heard Atlanta referred to as "Hotlanta"...

In any case, Minnesota, in a walk....partly because because of culture and weather, and partly because of my long-ago devotion to the Purple Gang of Bud Grant days..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
The thread is about the state as a whole, not just the northern Georgia mountains.
Yes, but you're painting the entire state as if it's an inferno. There are geographical differences within the state worth pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
How does that translate to endless 100+ degree days? It's hot at 88 degrees.

Quote:
The "hot" in "Hotlanta" is metaphoric, not literal.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
The thread is about the state as a whole, not just the northern Georgia mountains. Much of Georgia does stay at or above 100 degrees for most of the summer. Also, Minneapolis is one of the hottest places in Minnesota. There are areas in Minnesota that almost never get above 80 degrees (Grand Marais, International Falls, Grand Portage, Tower, etc.)
Um, you were the one who implied that all of Georgia experienced 100+ degree weather all summer. I also failed to highlight the temps in other parts of the state:

Current temp in Albany 88 degrees (most southern large city in Georgia near the Florida Border)

Current temp in Macon 87 degrees (middle Georgia)

Current temp in Savannah 84 degrees (Costal Georgia)

So as of right now in the middle of August (the hottest time of the year in Georgia), there are no 100 degree temps in any part of the state. I think you might be confusing Georgia with a state that has deserts, which Georgia does not have.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
I voted for Georgia, because Minnesota is the new Omaha on this forum.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Because I set that more than a week ago when we were pushing 90+ like most of the country. Anything above 90 is too hot for me, yet some how I have managed to live in Georgia just fine for most of my life.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
As far as the lakes, I never used the term "ugly." However, Georgia's reservoirs DO tend to be brown and muddy, especially during the "winter" (if Georgia can be said to have a winter). I've been there.
What's at the bottom of Minnesota lakes?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What's at the bottom of Minnesota lakes?
gold

Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Natural lakes are pure and pristine, while manmade "lakes" tend to be muddy and silty. I've been to Georgia and visited some of their "lakes" (really reservoirs), and that is how they looked.

I know people don't like the idea of MN winters, but GA's summers are intolerable. Months of 100+ heat, with very high humidity -- no thanks.
Hmmm. Don't look muddy to me.

Last edited by Galounger; 08-27-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 01:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
I think your second picture was retouched. It looks like it was color-enhanced.

Georgia's reservoirs are brown/muddy during the winter. I've actually visited Lake Sidney Lanier (Atlanta's Lake Minnetonka) during the "spring" (March) and the water was brown. It was also almost totally drained dry a few years ago - that would never happen in Minnesota.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:

In any case, Minnesota, in a walk....partly because because of culture and weather, and partly because of my long-ago devotion to the Purple Gang of Bud Grant days..
The culture of Minnesota is the main reason why I love it here, and Georgia's culture isn't really my thing.

As far as the whole "Hotlanta" thing. Of course it's hot in MN now - it's AUGUST. However, I was in Georgia in December once, and it was a muggy 75 degrees. It's hit 90 in April and October there. It's probably hit 90 in March and November, too. It rarely snows there, or elsewhere in the Deep South. On the whole, Georgia is MUCH warmer than Minnesota. Much hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City