Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Okay, I love NY, but I can't stand the whole fashion thing, especially among the black people. A lot of times it is down right tacky. It may be cutting edge but a lot of times they end up looking like idiots.

The south isn't blameless either. They cling to trends too long. It has been over 20 years since the prison pants became popular, why on earth are guys with 28 inch waists wearing sized 38 pants still? The crotch grabbing penguin walk sh it is the most unattractive thing ever. I mean it makes the guys look like hobos wearing their great grandpa's busted elastic hand me downs
lol sagging has NOT been around for more than 20 years. well...we're talking early 90s when it started so yeah i guess we're getting there

as far as the dreads, to my knowledge, people from louisiana and florida are the only ones that have been doing that for a while. georgia folks didn't start doing that until after florida folks brought that trend up into their state. before that, they were just fades and braids just like us in texas

Old 10-02-2010, 09:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
people wear dreads in the south, for sure, but mostly cornrows is a southern thing... dreads are in nyc too for sure, brought from jamaica/africa... uhh george clinton, he's from jersey. dread trend started in the 70s w/ the back to african roots stuff... not the 90s...

pretty big out west too with hyphy music, plus the hippies and other rastafari type have dreads.

^ skaters were wearing saggy pants in the 80s. hell in 92 half the people in my middle school had their pants sagged both skaters/thug types, so it was in very full force by then.

This site is being riddled with stupid nonsense, and people don't even know where their own stuff comes from, ridiculous.

Also may I present to you...

When did this drop, lets see... 1986. So I'd say saggy pants are pretty far back, not sure where you grew up, but I certainly remember them being rampant. Of course I did grow up in Florida so maybe some of that stuff hit there first, not sure, just my own experience. I'm sure there are more examples if anybody chooses not to believe me, I just specifically remember this CD. I was born in 1980 and lived in Florida for a little over 20 years, and I have always seen dreads, as well as sagging pants... I always thought they were NORMAL. Certainly enough people had them...

Speaking of pants, does anybody remember JAMS?

I guess I am getting old..

Last edited by grapico; 10-02-2010 at 10:22 PM..

Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
As far as I know I have to agree with AlGreen again (afonega1 will love that), but Florida and Louisiana are the only two places in the south where dreads have just been a constant thing going back as long as I can remember. It's only recently become a trend in Atlanta and is being launched into the media as a form of coonery or whatever you want to call it. Atlanta is the only place that I have seen them dyed red and purple and etc; and the only place I've seen those kinky twist things. In New Orleans the only color you'll really see is blonde from where the ends were dipped in peroxide and it's rare to see a woman with them unless she's West Indian, Rastafarian, or white. The only extreme style you'll find are the multiple dread twists/rolls. Even in Florida, from what I've seen, the dreads aren't as extra as the "trendy" dreads that I've seen in GA.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 10-02-2010 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 01:18 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
why do people think dreads came from Africa lol yea sure there were people in certain regions who just didn't cut their hair but dreads originated from West Indian, particularly Jamaican, culture. Not African. In many African cultures a) men with long hair was a no no and b) even women keep their hair short (why you so many on TV with really low hair cuts) for hygiene reasons.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
As far as I know I have to agree with AlGreen again (afonega1 will love that), but Florida and Louisiana are the only two places in the south where dreads have just been a constant thing going back as long as I can remember. It's only recently become a trend in Atlanta and is being launched into the media as a form of coonery or whatever you want to call it. Atlanta is the only place that I have seen them dyed red and purple and etc; and the only place I've seen those kinky twist things. In New Orleans the only color you'll really see is blonde from where the ends were dipped in peroxide and it's rare to see a woman with them unless she's West Indian, Rastafarian, or white. The only extreme style you'll find are the multiple dread twists/rolls. Even in Florida, from what I've seen, the dreads aren't as extra as the "trendy" dreads that I've seen in GA.
really you haven't seen kinky twist anywhere else? There were wearing those things in Detroit before I saw them in the south

Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
why do people think dreads came from Africa lol yea sure there were people in certain regions who just didn't cut their hair but dreads originated from West Indian, particularly Jamaican, culture. Not African. In many African cultures a) men with long hair was a no no and b) even women keep their hair short (why you so many on TV with really low hair cuts) for hygiene reasons.
actually you are wrong. try some research.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
actually you are wrong. try some research.
uh actually your wrong you try some research. the rasta movement is credited for starting dreads for religious reasons. Some Africans just didn't cut their hair (like some West Indians). Plenty of African cultures despised men with long hair and many women kept (and still in some tribes) their hair short for hygiene reasons. Still to this day when you see Africans on TV or in reality or whatever they usually have low hair cuts. I have never met any African with dreads matter of fact.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:31 AM

74 posts, read 93,356 times
Weather- slight edge to ATL
Food- NYC
Lively- NYC
Public trans- NYC
Dining- NYC
Education- NYC
Sports- NYC
Cost of Living- New york I'd rather pay more to live in a better place!

Overall NYC by a Landslide!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
people wear dreads in the south, for sure, but mostly cornrows is a southern thing... dreads are in nyc too for sure, brought from jamaica/africa... uhh george clinton, he's from jersey. dread trend started in the 70s w/ the back to african roots stuff... not the 90s...

pretty big out west too with hyphy music, plus the hippies and other rastafari type have dreads.

^ skaters were wearing saggy pants in the 80s. hell in 92 half the people in my middle school had their pants sagged both skaters/thug types, so it was in very full force by then.

This site is being riddled with stupid nonsense, and people don't even know where their own stuff comes from, ridiculous.

Also may I present to you...

When did this drop, lets see... 1986. So I'd say saggy pants are pretty far back, not sure where you grew up, but I certainly remember them being rampant. Of course I did grow up in Florida so maybe some of that stuff hit there first, not sure, just my own experience. I'm sure there are more examples if anybody chooses not to believe me, I just specifically remember this CD. I was born in 1980 and lived in Florida for a little over 20 years, and I have always seen dreads, as well as sagging pants... I always thought they were NORMAL. Certainly enough people had them...

Speaking of pants, does anybody remember JAMS?

I guess I am getting old..
i was born the same year as you grapico, and the only place i remember seeing sagging was on some album covers (like the one you posted), but most dudes didn't start sagging until the early 90s. maybe it was more widespread in florida. either way, hip hop fashion in the 80s was dominated by tighter fitting pants worn at the waist while the 90s was dominated by sagging jeans

Last edited by AlGreen; 10-03-2010 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
diddy and fat joe hopped on after nelly came out with that grills song. also fat joe lives in miami.
diddy has a place there, too.

but regardless of that, they hopped on that trend for a brief second after that song.

i don't know why ppl keep bringing lauryn hill up like she's rocking dreads in 2010. and she was on that dread ish because she was on her west indian ish. the girls been "lost" for mad long...think she had a nervous breakdown, hasn't been in the public spotlight for awhile, recently resurfaced looking confused and ppl want to bring her up for what she looked like in her prime?

when was her prime again? the 90's. again, thats 10+ years ago. we're talking about recent times.

big difference from whats going on in the south right now. and i seriously doubt that the dreads and gold that you see a lot of down south has anything to do with the west indies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post

Arsenal got dreads... but he from newark, close enough
who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City