Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I'm not country, nor do I think I live in a country city, based off my definition of country. But I will note, there is nothing at all wrong with being who you are. I'm not one to judge a person based off what they look like or act like. I like people who are themselves, and if they're country then they are still ay-okay in my books. Part of being open minded is being able to accept everyone of every background. I've never hated anyone for their race, gender, looks, skin color before in my life, or even where they come from, and I don't ever want to either. I see that so much on here, frankly its disgusting. It truly is, that behavior is just disgusting and its the kind you find at an insane asylum.

We live in a great country where theres a variety of cultures and people here, whether regional or international. But here is my definition of country.

My definition of country:

Well with the first picture I think Texas could really grow on me...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Lol, There are areas of NY state that fits EEk's definition of country so I dunno why he is making it out to be a southern thing, it is not. It is a rural thing. Check out central Pennsylvania too. Don't get much more Kerntry than that.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well with the first picture I think Texas could really grow on me...
lol, calm down hornball

Old 10-02-2010, 09:48 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Lol, There are areas of NY state that fits EEk's definition of country so I dunno why he is making it out to be a southern thing, it is not. It is a rural thing. Check out central Pennsylvania too. Don't get much more Kerntry than that.
nobody in upstate ny says the words that southerners say in my previous posts and there aren't nearly as many ppl that rock dreads and gold teeth like that...or the colorful hair pieces, etc. etc.

so i dunno why you're making it out to be so when it is not. ppl from upstate do not draw their words out, don't have a twang, don't come off as being uncultured, aren't hard to understand, etc. and they don't come off as backwards.

i'm not from PA so i'll let kidphilly or somebody handle that.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
nobody in upstate ny says the words that southerners say in my previous posts and there aren't nearly as many ppl that rock dreads and gold teeth like that...or the colorful hair pieces, etc. etc.

so i dunno why you're making it out to be so when it is not.
I once worked with a girl from Upstate New York (near Utica) and I swear to you I thought she was from down South. And she's not the only one I've met like that.

Quote:
there aren't nearly as many ppl that rock dreads and gold teeth like that...or the colorful hair pieces, etc. etc.
Didn't you see my post to you about rappers and such from the South?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 AM
eek

maybe she originally was. i worked with a lady from upstate and she seemed more like a typical person from cali.

she was in no way "southern." also have a friend from buffalo and he's in no way southern, either.

had a convo with a dude the other day from some part of upstate (forgot where) about baseball...anyway he didn't come off as southern either.

i've never met a person from upstate that seems like they're from the south.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:

so i dunno why you're making it out to be so when it is not. ppl from upstate do not draw their words out, don't have a twang, don't come off as being uncultured, aren't hard to understand, etc. and they don't come off as backwards.

First: a lot of ATL rappers intentionally use very heavy southern slang and pronunciation kinda to make a point. It's like they're saying "hey you guys made fun of us in the South for so long but now that we have the stage we're going to show you how proud we are of being from the South by using so much Southern slang and speech that you can barely understand us". Many of those same rappers don't speak nearly that Southern in day to day life.

Second: Some ATL rappers (sawty lo for example) are from the grimiest of hoods and lowliest of economic classes. Where they are from they speak way different from a typical white or black person from a decent working class or middle class neighborhood in Atlanta or the suburbs. If you go to the Eastern Suburbs of Atlanta for instance you will find an awful lot of Blacks that speak exactly like they are from the North East or Midwest. Blacks in Gwinnet county tend to be almost all transplants from up north and the ones that aren't speak like they are.

If you wanna hear real country accents go down to South Georgia and my home town. People down there really don't try to properly enunciate words. If you were to go to my old hood and speak they would almost certainly accuse you of speaking "proper" or "white" because you would probably actually be pronouncing and enunciating most words correctly. Most blacks there consider that to be speaking "white" and to them you would probably sound "whiter" than most white people down there.

I once had a relative visit from Colorado. He was totally tripping out at the accent of the white girl at the taco bell drive thru. When he drove around during a brief exchange about it she commented that she "thought he was white" when she heard him on the intercom.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
eek

and a lot of rappers from ATL don't. if thats how you talk then thats how you talk. my gf's sister talks like that...and when i went to school in the south there were ppl that talked like that.

my point is that you don't see that at all in upstate ny or nyc. at all.

regardless of social class.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:

dreadlocks? that is rather silly. lots of refined people rock the dreads.

Lisa Bonet, India Arie, Erykah Badu, Eric Bennet, Lauryn Hill, AJ Calloway, Lenny Kravitz, Sarah Jones......

Hair styles is a silly way of judging country levels. But the NE has their fair share of bumpkins. Heck there are some in the NY metro too.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
dreadlocks? that is rather silly. lots of refined people rock the dreads.

Lisa Bonet, India Arie, Erykah Badu, Eric Bennet, Lauryn Hill, AJ Calloway, Lenny Kravitz, Sarah Jones......

Hair styles is a silly way of judging country levels. But the NE has their fair share of bumpkins. Heck there are some in the NY metro too.
don't feed the troll, htown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City